Come say hi to ESRBob in California at a book signing

ESRBob

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just wanted to let you all know that I'll be in California in March doing book signings and talks at various bookstores for Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early. This is the book this forum created, as lots of people here have their stories and ideas woven into the book. It would be great to have people from the forum come and say hi, to put some handles and faces together.

Bring a used dryer sheet and wave it around so I can recognize you as somebody who 'gets it'!

I'll notify here if any more stores get added to the schedule - we are trying to arrange a visit to Alameda Naval Base's PX (BX?), too, on March 9.

March 9 (time TBD) Books, Inc. Alameda, CA

March 11 2 pm Orinda Books Orinda, CA

March 14 7 pm Stacey's San Francisco

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books, San Francisco

March 18 3pm- 5pm Barnes & Noble, Woodland Hills, CA,

Mostly Bay Area and then Woodland Hills in L.A.

Bob,

I enjoyed your book -- I bought it at Barnes and Noble in Campbell, CA (just west of San Jose, just south of Santa Clara). I enjoyed the book and as a bonus I was shocked to see such solid investment advice in a retirement book. I probably won't be able to make a book signing, but I wish you luck. If my late 30s, 40-something Bay Area technology co-workers are any guide, they definitely don't get it, and you have your work cut out for you!

Kramer

Kramer,
Glad you're finding the book useful -- plenty of people in Silicon Valley should be able to ER -- hope more of them find their way to it.

btw there has been a change to the schedule-- the Alameda even will be a week later on March 16 instead of March 9, at 7:30 pm. The latest schedule is:

March 14 7 pm Stacey's San Francisco

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted Place
for Books, San Francisco

March 16 7:30 pm Books, Inc. Alameda, CA

March 18 3pm- 5pm Barnes & Noble,
Woodland Hills, CA,

Rumors are that the layoffs I'm silently volunteering for will be around the time you'll be in SF. Maybe I'll stop by as a newly free man if I'm not too busy packing up my office.

fireme said:
Rumors are that the layoffs I'm silently volunteering for will be around the time you'll be in SF. Maybe I'll stop by as a newly free man if I'm not too busy packing up my office.

I thought the economy is improving in the Bay Area. They should be hiring people instead. A couple of companies are calling me for job interviews.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
You going to have sandwiches or beer or something?

TH-- great idea -- if the bookstores aren't treating, i will. Give me your favorite brand and I'll make sure I've got it for ya. Time to take Gabe on his first trip to SF?

Hey, send me the beer and sandwich and save me a trip. I might even buy a copy of the book out of appreciation ;)

It'll be a while before I'll take a long trip with him. Right now its 15 minutes of interestedly looking out the window, 45 minutes of nap, 10 minutes of being pretty unhappy about still being in the car seat, then xx minutes of wailing, where xx is the amount of time until I get home... ;)

I remember that **** with our younger boy -- while the older one loved travel, the younger one had a fuse about five minutes long. We spent a lot of time at home during those years...

I know Nolo is trying to get me booked at Travis AFB, which would be closer to you-- will post here if they get that set up.

Show up in Sacramento with Redhook ESB and a hot pastrami on rye with deli mustard and I'll help you sign copies of the book ;)

We're working on it! What's a good bookstore in Sacto that an ER might frequent?

Come to think of it, there should be plenty of people in Sacramento with good govt pensions with early retirement provisions... Ok, Come on TH. you are the marketing genius -- doesn't this look like a 'target market'? 8)

RETIRED marketing genius! ;)

I dont think a lot of the politico's like living in the sac area. Wouldnt be surprised to see Ahnold try to move it to LA or somewhere that isnt 110 degrees in the summer time...

As far as bookstores, overstock and amazon are the only ones i've 'been in' for quite some time. My days of the three dollar barnes and noble lattes over a $5 "imported" boston globe amid occasional waggling eyebrows are well over :)

Nords,
thanks for your efforts to get it into the Hawaii libraries -- just heard from a friend today it is in the Pelham, NY library, now, too in a special 'new books display'.

And for the next 4 weeks, Barnes & Noble is carrying a special display of it with a few other retirement books at the end of the "Business" shelves in 150 of their larger stores around the country. Nolo's Sales Chief told me that if anyone sees the book on this 'end cap' display, but not up on the top stand, we are entitled to shift ithe books around and put it on top, under the terms of Nolo's deal with B&N. So all you ER vigilantes out there :LOL: -- have some fun if you're in a B&N store in the next 4 weeks -- if Work Less, Live More is even there and if it isn't on top, go ahead and put early retirement back where it belongs -- top of the heap. 8)

thx!
Bob

There has been a change of time at the Stacey's San Francisco event. Other TV, radio etc stuff also included. Stop by if you're in the area!

March 12 7:50 a.m. Live interview on
KPIX radio

March 13 Interview with Andrea
Coombes on Marketwatch "Personally
Speaking"

March 14 12:30 pm Stacey's San
Francisco (NOTE CHANGED TIME)

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted
Place for Books, San Francisco

March 16 10 am NBC Channel 11
Interview with Laura Garcia-Cannon and
Brent Cannon

March 16 7:30 pm Books, Inc. Alameda,
CA

Woodland Hills, CA,

March 19 CBS TV Appearance; "Bay
Sunday"

Hey Bob - looking good! Staceys! My place at lunch hour when I was in SF - the place for signings - saw Mohammed Ali there on his book tour...Barry Manilow chickened out when a bomb threat was thrown called in - SF really takes music seriously :D

I would like to know what kind of perks you get from NOLO...do they put you up in a hotel and drive you around, wine and dine you...I'm eating my Boca burger while I type. :D Have fun and enjoy!

ESRBob said:
There has been a change of time at the Stacey's San Francisco event. Other TV, radio etc stuff also included. Stop by if you're in the area!

March 12 7:50 a.m. Live interview on
KPIX radio

March 13 Interview with Andrea
Coombes on Marketwatch "Personally
Speaking"

March 14 12:30 pm Stacey's San
Francisco (NOTE CHANGED TIME)

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted
Place for Books, San Francisco

March 16 10 am NBC Channel 11
Interview with Laura Garcia-Cannon and
Brent Cannon

March 16 7:30 pm Books, Inc. Alameda,
CA

Woodland Hills, CA,

March 19 CBS TV Appearance; "Bay
Sunday"

ESRBob said:
And for the next 4 weeks, Barnes & Noble is carrying a special display of it with a few other retirement books at the end of the "Business" shelves in 150 of their larger stores around the country. 

Hi Bob,

I walked over to B&N at lunch (downtown Baltimore) and the display, including your book, were right there as you said!

I bought the book about a month ago and read it in just a few days. Lots of good, concise, easy-to-understand info. DH (who isn't all that interested in things financial) read it and liked it too.  Good job!

CJ

CJ,
Great stuff -- still haven't made it over to a B&N yet to see the display, so am glad somebody did! Now I know it's real. Glad your husband is reading it, too. My sense about the financial part of the book is that it could actually apply to any long-term investor, maybe with different asset allocations -- it isn't rocket science but it also isn't something that wall street or even planners are lining up to tell investors about, either-- especially the part about keeping annual fees below 0.5%!

Dan-- boca burgers is about the level of wining and dining for me, too, I think. Nolo is paying for the trip car etc and meals, but as everybody in the publishing industry is frugal by necessity I don't think I'll be buying bottles of Dom Perignon at Trader Vic's while I'm out there. Still, if you're in the area, we could no doubt spring for a bottle of San Pellegrino on them! Well, maybe Dasani? Hoping to get some real Mexican food out there, though -- that was always the best thing about California eating in my view...

ESRBob said:
CJ,
Great stuff -- still haven't made it over to a B&N yet to see the display, so am glad somebody did! Now I know it's real. Glad your husband is reading it, too. My sense about the financial part of the book is that it could actually apply to any long-term investor, maybe with different asset allocations -- it isn't rocket science but it also isn't something that wall street or even planners are lining up to tell investors about, either-- especially the part about keeping annual fees below 0.5%!

Dan-- boca burgers is about the level of wining and dining for me, too, I think. Nolo is paying for the trip car etc and meals, but as everybody in the publishing industry is frugal by necessity I don't think I'll be buying bottles of Dom Perignon at Trader Vic's while I'm out there. Still, if you're in the area, we could no doubt spring for a bottle of San Pellegrino on them! Well, maybe Dasani? Hoping to get some real Mexican food out there, though -- that was always the best thing about California eating in my view...
Hey thanks Bob, I wish I were still there it would be great to share a cold one with you! - but I'm hibernating in Minnesota right now. By the way 12:30 might be a better time the lunch crowd will be filled with folks looking to retire early. ;)
Even though its been a while I think I can still recommend that you get your Mexican food fix south of Market down 24th street way...at Taqueria SF ... :smitten: Nothing fancy comes in aluminum foil wrap...
Here's all you need to know about the SF Burrito :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito
My favorite Taqueria is Taqueria San Francisco 2794 24th St.
123_san_francisco.jpg

Seriously cool taqueria mural, Dan.
I'll definitely try to get over this one on my trip. Didn't know SF burritos now warranted their own wikipedia listing, though!

Had a great time at ESR Bob's discussion and book-signing in SF last Wednesday. Excellent presentation, Bob! Everyone at the cash register was buzzing about it afterward. Now back in town and starting the book. And, yes, that dryer sheet was used!

California Dreamer
It was great to see you there and know the dryer sheet flag is flying.

To everyone else: So last Wed night I'm presenting to a group in an SF bookstore and there is one face that really is lit up and clearly understanding what this was all about. When he came up afterwards to chat I said to him, "you are so ready to ER" and he whips out his dryer sheet and says, "Call me California Dreamer" and I said, "Well no wonder you 'get it'...". We had a good laugh!

To Dan Tien -- I ate at about 6 taquerias while I was there but didn't get to the exact one you have pictured here. Man they are good, though and cheap, too. Perfect for ERs (as long as you like tacos, I guess!) The one I liked best (went twice) was on Mission between 24th and 25th, so I couldn't have been far from yours. Another good one at 17th and Valencia (also in the Mission District I guess). Gotta watch parking on the sidestreets but I'll brave the Mission at night for good tacos and hibiscus or guava juice (blending them is pretty good, too)

ESRBob said:
California Dreamer
It was great to see you there and know the dryer sheet flag is flying.

To everyone else: So last Wed night I'm presenting to a group in an SF bookstore and there is one face that really is lit up and clearly understanding what this was all about. When he came up afterwards to chat I said to him, "you are so ready to ER" and he whips out his dryer sheet and says, "Call me California Dreamer" and I said, "Well no wonder you 'get it'...". We had a good laugh!

To Dan Tien -- I ate at about 6 taquerias while I was there but didn't get to the exact one you have pictured here. Man they are good, though and cheap, too. Perfect for ERs (as long as you like tacos, I guess!) The one I liked best (went twice) was on Mission between 24th and 25th, so I couldn't have been far from yours. Another good one at 17th and Valencia (also in the Mission District I guess). Gotta watch parking on the sidestreets but I'll brave the Mission at night for good tacos and hibiscus or guava juice (blending them is pretty good, too)
Hey Bob. Welcome back. Sounds like you had a great trip and sold some books. Besides that you ate like a king, but at a bargain rate! :D
Know the place on Mission/24-25th...lived for a while a block away on Capp...just as good as the other really..SFers can get a little carried away with food and their favorite places - it's a religion.
How do you like book presentations...anymore coming up?

Dan,
Glad you knew the one on Mission.

THe bookstore presentations were a blast -- it was always a nice blend of 15-20 minutes of presentation on the basics of ER and then 30-40 minutes of questions. Very easy and relaxing.

Now the TV appearances are another matter -- very stressful for me anyway. You hav 3-4 minutes and you have to remember abour 43 things all of which are using a different part of the brain, from posture, facial expression, eyes (can't let them flick around or wander it;ll make you look like a crook!) then of course to all the stuff you are supposed to say: you can't just answer their questions, you have to 'control' the interview, dispose of the questions and steer the conversation back to your 3 or 4 main points, all the while sounding enthusiastic, smooth, looking empathetic and not forgetting what you were going to say!

Anyway, glad its over for now. They're going to plan a tour around New England next (spring or summer) which I'll be able to drive to. Will let you know if I ever get to Minnie.

Back
Top Bottom