Join Early Retirement Today

Comfortable reading glasses
Old 05-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Comfortable reading glasses

Looking for some recommendations for quality, comfortable reading glasses. I need a new pair to use while sitting at my computer for several hours each day, since the ones I have now are kind of cheap, heavy, and dig into the bridge of my nose and the sides of my head above my ears. I picked them up about 5 years ago at CVS after an optometry appointment, but I've only ever used them to read a little bit at night in bed for maybe 30-45 minutes at a stretch. Definitely not a good choice for wearing while looking at my computer monitor for several hours each day.

Most important criteria would be:
  • Lightweight
  • Very comfortable on the nose (padding, soft materials, etc.)
  • Comfortable around the ears (don't dig into sides of head too much)
  • Reasonably priced

FYI, don't have a Costco membership, so that option is probably out unless I get multiple, strong recommendations for their glasses.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Order a pair of these in your reading prescription.

https://www.glassesusa.com/black-med...35-000190.html

The lightest glasses you will find. With a coupon, the price should be quite reasonable.

I am wearing mine right now. They are my daily glasses. My other pair is heavier and I always return to the Revel Dwayne.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

Last winter while I was in Colorado for a ski trip, I broke my readers. Tried to fix them with superglue but no luck. I was thoroughly annoyed, but got lucky.

There was a Whole Foods not far from my hotel with a free charging station for my PHEV car in the lot. So I plugged it in and went browsing around. They had a rack of readers that looked good, and I found a pair that was the most comfortable I'd ever used (in terms of how well I saw through them as well as how they felt). More expensive (of course) than the usual drugstore variety, but not outrageous. I'm still using them and very glad I got 'em.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #4

I highly recommend you go to a optometrist and get prescription glasses. There are other places that sell good glasses other than Costco, but I do recommend Costco. The main point is that you said you use them at your computer. When I’m working on the computer, the screen is further away than my keyboard and papers that are on my desk. This difference is not well handled by single strength readers. The glasses I have are computer glasses. They are progressive and they have a coating that filters out blue light. I’ve got nothing against on line eyeglasses, but the subtleties in fitting a progressive lens are a little difficult to do on line. Plus, if you don’t like them for any reason, Costco will make you a new pair. I’m sure others have something like that. Look for it. It’s worth it because you basically need to get them dialed in.

There are other options, but for the amount of time I spend on the computer, I think this has been a very worth while investment. And yes, I agree, light good quality frames are very important.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

Thinoptic has a couple styles that are very light and thin so padding etc is not necessary for them to be comfortable. Just google thinoptic
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #6

The most comfortable pair I own are prescription computer glasses.
A close second are my Gamma Ray readers purchased from Amazon - good quality, nice fit.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
When I visited my eye doctor, he gave me a prescription for regular glasses, and computer glasses (which is different than reading glasses). It helps to know how far from your eyes your monitor is normally located.

There is no extra cost for 2 prescriptions vs 1 , at least from my guy.

With my eyes the drugstore ones are both the same which is not what I need, and they go up by .25 , which is not where my prescription fits. (ex .43)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have a friend who got around the single strength issue of drugstore reading glasses, by buying 2 pairs and switch out the lens of one side to make his own prescription.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Looking for some recommendations for quality, comfortable reading glasses. I need a new pair to use while sitting at my computer for several hours each day, since the ones I have now are kind of cheap, heavy, and dig into the bridge of my nose and the sides of my head above my ears. I picked them up about 5 years ago at CVS after an optometry appointment, but I've only ever used them to read a little bit at night in bed for maybe 30-45 minutes at a stretch. Definitely not a good choice for wearing while looking at my computer monitor for several hours each day.

Most important criteria would be:
  • Lightweight
  • Very comfortable on the nose (padding, soft materials, etc.)
  • Comfortable around the ears (don't dig into sides of head too much)
  • Reasonably priced

FYI, don't have a Costco membership, so that option is probably out unless I get multiple, strong recommendations for their glasses.
After reading this thread I ordered some new reading glasses from readingglasses dot com which I just received this morning. They meet all of your criteria except the "reasonably priced" one since they cost enough to make your eyes water and then some. But I really love having them and can see so much better through them than I could see through my previous very cheap readers. This was a nice gift from me to me. They are amazingly light, comfortable, and sturdy too. Here's the link so you can see them for yourself:

https://www.readingglasses.com/ray-b...r=Red%20Havana
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #10

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I picked up a new, lightweight pair of "reading in bed" readers at Walmart the other day, but I'm still trying to find the perfect pair of computer glasses. I may just need to go back to my eye doctor and see what he recommends, since it's been over 5 years now.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I bought these at Amazon two years ago and are the best reading glasses I have ever had .Plus they have the spring hinge .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Kaiser's Vision Essentials will sell glasses to those who don't have Kaiser medical coverage. Their prices are less than independent glasses sellers. Vision Essentials hosts eyeware shows, you can see the dates for your local dispensary shows on the internet. Most of the suppliers will offer significant discounts.

Also, check out Warby Parker.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I get all my glasses from Zenni. They rule. They have all kinds of $10-$20 frames. I just took the (reading) prescription I got from an eye doctor and calculated my scrip for computer glasses (you can google how to do this).

I also ordered some bifocals even though I don't need (non-reading) glasses. I got no correction for the far distance and my reader scrip for the lower part so I can wear them while doing photography. Probably end up doing the same for the sunglasses so I can read the radio in the car. :-P