Join Early Retirement Today

Comforting Dreams of those passed away
Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Comforting Dreams of those passed away

A dear friend passed away about a week ago. Last night I had a dream of her. It was more a regular dream. She was a person who liked to move. When we'd be driving around, she'd say to me, "I used to live there." In the dream, simply, I was helping her move. Helping her get settled in a new place. I was helping her getting organized like the way I would while she was alive -- such as making sure she had her medication filled, that she didn't lose her purse, etc. Also, a comforting part was that her dog (which she lost a few months ago) was there with her.

I know, in one way, all it is, is just a dream. Yet, this "memory" is much better than the final moments of having to say goodbye and taking her off life support.

I'm still waiting to have one of those dreams in which she tells me that everthing is fine. No need to worry anymore. Have you had those dreams of love ones gone?

I've had them each time someone dear has passed away. When my mom died, I had this dream of her, my dad, and our family dog with my mom and dad saying to me, we are now in the light and happy, no need to worry about us anymore.

When my brother died (he died of liver cancer, diagnosed about four weeks earlier, then suffered and gone so soon). In a dream, he said to me, "I'm no longer in pain. Where I'm at now, they found a cure for me!"

I know, perhaps just a trick of the mind. Yet perhaps more too. Either way, it is comforting.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm still waiting to have one of those dreams in which she tells me that everthing is fine. No need to worry anymore. Have you had those dreams of love ones gone?

I've had them each time someone dear has passed away. When my mom died, I had this dream of her, my dad, and our family dog with my mom and dad saying to me, we are now in the light and happy, no need to worry about us anymore.

When my brother died (he died of liver cancer, diagnosed about four weeks earlier, then suffered and gone so soon). In a dream, he said to me, "I'm no longer in pain. Where I'm at now, they found a cure for me!"

I know, perhaps just a trick of the mind. Yet perhaps more too. Either way, it is comforting.
It's happened to me on occasion as well. Actually it's also happened with some departed pets, as well. Whether it's just mind games or something "larger" (i.e. spiritual and/or supernatural), I've decided to not to look a gift horse in the mouth. We are people of faith so we have our ideas on it, but others may see it differently.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I have experienced the same thing and it is very comforting .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not anything that I have ever experienced, but have to say that they sound like pleasant dreams.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have had them too. I had one with a friend's child passing on information back to his mother to let her know he was alright.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It is nice to know some people have dreams of comfort and/or value to them. The dreams I have or at least remember usually make no sense nor serve a purpose. Last night I had a dream that I was working at my high school job in a restaurant busing tables with my friend who I didnt meet until 10 years ago. All I kept thinking in my dream is why am I doing this job when I have plenty of money and my friend is making $100,000 working in his present job already.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have had dreams about my Mom (gone 10 years) and my husband (gone 7 years) many times since their passing.
I enjoy these dreams immensely. I wish they would happen more often.
Sometimes when I am awake, and something in real time has triggered a memory, if I close my eyes and focus very hard, I can still "hear" and "see" them in my mind. It is an exercise I will continue to do until it is my turn.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When my poor Barley beagle passed away she was almost 16 and died overnight after being ill for a long time. I know that passing was probably a relief to her after so much illness.

My Porter we had to euthanize at the end of a long struggle with lymphoma. He wanted to live right up the last day despite the growing problems with his cancer. I went to work the next day and when I came home I patted each of the puppies at the door and reached down to pet Porter. He was there. I know he was. All that evening I knew he was there participating in the evening routine. The beagle puppy would not sit in the little beanbag that Porter liked to sleep on in my daughter's room, and I found myself compelled to reach down and pat him there as I tucked my daughter in for the night. Since then, he has not been back.

I think of them often and I mentally picked out adjacent stars in a constellation easily visible as "their" stars.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes had a dream where a friend appeared and I said Hi how are you? What's it like over there? Her answer "oh it's OK". Her tone of voice sounded like "is that all there is"?
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #10

I've had a number of dreams in which mom and dad played a part. Sometimes I will have a dream where only dad is involved. Never with only mom. Don't know why that is. I'll wake up and see them vividly knowing full well that it was just a dream, but I can recall the dream in detail. Funny thing, but they never appear as they were in real life. Just a little different. Can't explain that.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #11

I have not ever had dreams about loved ones that passed away. They sound like they would be very comforting. My cousin (who I lived with from 11 yrs to 18 yrs old) lives where her dad and mom used to live. She says that she sees her dad briefly every once in a while. I have never had that experience either.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Two close friends have passed away in recent years, Each of them is still featured in my dreams occasionally, in each case I have been able to converse with them.

I have also dreamt about pets that have passed away.

When I awake, for a time I find I forget they are gone, the sensation of them being there was so real and remains for a time after the dream.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Shortly after my friend's dog passed away (he used to climb in bed and curl up along side of me), I must have been in one of those just barely awake states, when I thought as though I heard the doorbell ring and then "felt and heard" her dog bark and jump off the bed. It felt so real, and so much not like a dream that the sensation was a bit erie.

I've had several dreams of my friend who passed away recently. Mostly, she's there but more in the background. I'm hoping to have one of the comforting dreams of her saying that all is OK. I miss her very much.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #14

I've had dreams like this with cats that have passed. I could feel their fur or knew somehow that it was them.

I'd love to have my mother stop by in a dream and just reassure me that I'm doing what's right with my Dad.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to see some folks have dreams about dearly departed that they find comforting. I've found that most of my dreams about this matter to be saddening.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't remember specific dreams, however, I did find that my sleep cycle got messed up. I would wake a 3 or 4 PM for a couple of months after each of my parents died and when my wife passed away.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

(I had a dream last night...here it is if you wish to read it...)

Well, I did have one somewhat comforting dream of my friend today (It's been a little over two weeks since she's passed away). There were three parts, all related to my friend. (Dreams are pretty disjointed, so some don't make that much sense).

In the first part, I was over at her house with most of her stuff moved out. A real estate agent asks me some questions, saying that my friend was planning to move to an apartment). I then told the agent, something is wrong. My friend has passed away. So, either someone is trying to steal her identity or there is something else we don't understand going on here. As the dream goes on, it seems like someone had tried to use her identity to apply as the description of the person applying had no resemblence to my friend.

Then the dream changes to the second part (as I said, dreams can be disjointed). Now, getting ready for a charity benefit. In the same room with me is Taylor Swift (yes, The Taylor Swift). In real life, I think Taylor seems very nice and I respect her. But I have other favorites. However, my friend adored her as she would always say, "Taylor is as cute as a button." In the dream, Taylor says to me, "Let's make this a FREE benefit concert." So, I'm updating this flyer saying that the concert is free for all her fans. Free show, free parking, etc.

The dream switches to the thrid part. Now I'm at my friend's apartment. I'm switching TV channels on her remote. It's a choice between "Love American Style" (remember that old TV show?) or a football game (a Minnestoa Vikings game). I decide to flip towards the game. At this time, I'm thinking about how I miss my friend. That it is odd, her gone. Then I look over to my left and I see her like the way she was at the hospital on life support in the bed. I call her name. She smiles at me. I hold her hand. She says "Help me". I say to her "I've prayed so much for you. I've prayed that you are going to heaven." She says "Thank you". Then says they are going to take her now. That she'll be gone for a long time.

...Then I wake up...wishing that we could have "spoke" more in the dream..yet I do find that comforting.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
(I had a dream last night...here it is if you wish to read it...)

Well, I did have one somewhat comforting dream of my friend today (It's been a little over two weeks since she's passed away). There were three parts, all related to my friend. (Dreams are pretty disjointed, so some don't make that much sense).

In the first part, I was over at her house with most of her stuff moved out. A real estate agent asks me some questions, saying that my friend was planning to move to an apartment). I then told the agent, something is wrong. My friend has passed away. So, either someone is trying to steal her identity or there is something else we don't understand going on here. As the dream goes on, it seems like someone had tried to use her identity to apply as the description of the person applying had no resemblence to my friend.

Then the dream changes to the second part (as I said, dreams can be disjointed). Now, getting ready for a charity benefit. In the same room with me is Taylor Swift (yes, The Taylor Swift). In real life, I think Taylor seems very nice and I respect her. But I have other favorites. However, my friend adored her as she would always say, "Taylor is a cute as a button." In the dream, Taylor says to me, "Let's make this a FREE benefit concert." So, I'm updating this flyer saying that the concert is free for all her fans. Free show, free parking, etc.

The dream switches to the thrid part. Now I'm at my friend's apartment. I'm switching TV channels on her remote. It's a choice between "Love American Style" (remember that old TV show?) are a football game (a Minnestoa Vikings game"). I decide to flip towards the game. At this time, I'm thinking about how I miss my friend. That it is odd, her gone. Then I look over to my left and I see her like the way she was at the hospital on life support in the bed. I call her name. She smiles at me. I hold her hand. She says "Help me". I say to her "I've prayed so much for you. I've prayed that you are going to heaven." She says "Thank you". Then says they are going to take her now. That she'll be gone for a long time.

...Then I wake up...wishing that we could have "spoke" more in the dream..yet I do find that comforting.
That is a beautiful dream. You must have been deepy in love. I am very sorry for your loss.

Ha
Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is a beautiful dream. You must have been deepy in love. I am very sorry for your loss.

Ha
Thanks. I miss her very much, especially around the holidays.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I am so sorry for your loss. There are very few dreams I remember, but from time to time, I seem to be in the presence of loved ones who have passed. It is unsettling, yet comforting. Dad appears as a young man and is always smiling but never speaks. Mom has yet to appear but she seems to be the same as when I last saw her. Mom had not known who I was for years before she passed, but when I sense her presence, she knows who I am. Oh how comforting it would be if Mom seemed happy...maybe...eventually.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote