Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Coming out of the closet
Old 02-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We just had a dean at the university I work at retire this last year with the goal of being a trout fisherman. After his retirement party I went up to him and gave him a slip of paper, telling him it was just in case trout fishing did not work out. He asked if it was a job application. Told him no, it was Grandpa's carp bait recipe.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Am I the ONLY blue collar guy here? I never went to college, started working at a large electric utility at age 22 after a series of menial jobs. Worked 28yr at the utility at a series of diffferent jobs there. I belonged to a union and was able to transfer according to seniority. I always transfered to jobs that I liked rather than those that paid better. Never wanted to be the boss, was never asked either. I could have easily put myself in that position though. Most of my bosses were too stupid to turn it down, or mistakenly thought they were somehow advancing themselfs, or were too lazy to do the jobs they were in, almost all later told me they regretted it all their careers. Some days my jobs really sucked but other days I could not believe they were paying me to do this. The good out numbered the bad by far. Never felt I had to keep up an image, take crap from higher ups, never took my job home. BUT I never made more than $58,000, had to work hard and save, missed out on some of the finer things in life, ect. However I was able to travel around the US. Fish mountain lakes in MT, fly in lakes in Canada, climb and hike all over the US. And I'm not done enjoying myself yet Looking back at all you angry white collar types I think I did OK......Shredder

Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I have in fact caught a carp while trout fishing at Vallecito reservoir in Colorado.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have in fact caught a carp while trout fishing at Vallecito reservoir in Colorado.

It'd be more impressive if you could change that to catching a trout while carp fishing..........Shredder
Old 02-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Am I the ONLY blue collar guy here?
You might be one of the few. I'm beginning to wonder if FIRE (the really early kind - 30's or 40's maybe even early 50's) is mostly done by those with a blue collar background and a white collar career. They are making good bucks but they haven't really acquired the taste for the expensive life. Sure maybe a large %age of those in that situation will acquire a taste for it but enough of them don't. Perhaps these are the bulk of the FIREees?

That's my background - I've got a retired electrician father, grandfather and uncle who were railwaymen, etc. and I'm working in the software industry. I'm the first in my family to have gone to university never mind grad school.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Good discussion here. My husband retired from employment in his 40s (to work on and manage rental property). He previously worked a blue collar job, sailing on the Great Lakes on the ore boats. I know a number of people from that background. Plenty did fine financially, partly because there wasn't a lot of opportunity to spend money. Some of the old guys retired, lived in a single wide, drove an old car, and died with a million or two in the bank. Some spent too much free time on the boats gambling or drinking and things didn't turn out so well for them.

I became a professional, but came from a small farm in a small town. Never acquired much of the taste for the expensive life. I always have felt a bit insecure about money. I am from a family and a community that would consider it unseemly to have too fancy a house, clothes or car and your "stuff" was not considered a topic for discussion.

Then again, maybe all the people who came from rich parents are on another, secret, retirement board for those with 10 million or more in assets.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:55 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm beginning to wonder if FIRE (the really early kind - 30's or 40's maybe even early 50's) is mostly done by those with a blue collar background and a white collar career. *They are making good bucks but they haven't really acquired the taste for the expensive life.

I don't know if that is so or not. But I find that a really interesting idea, hyperborea.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:12 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if FIRE (the really early kind - 30's or 40's maybe even early 50's) is mostly done by those with a blue collar background and a white collar career. *They are making good bucks but they haven't really acquired the taste for the expensive life.

I don't know if that is so or not. But I find that a really interesting idea, hyperborea.
Fits my profile exactly...never thought about it that way though; grew up in a blue collar world...first in the family to go to college (which I paid for myself) and worked as an IT professional contractor for some of those stuffy corporate types...and always did feel like everyone knew I wasn't supposed to be there (funny thing, I didn't belong there , it wasn't until recent years I discovered I belonged standing in a middle of a flock of sheep! ).

Took the money and stashed most of it, I always felt like it wouldn't last and never wanted to build a lifestyle that depended on it) and we always lived on a "blue collar" budget (with a few exceptions)...even when the sky rained money...and now I get by again on a blue collar budget...except in this case I don't need to work for it....
Old 02-04-2005, 04:12 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

INTJ's, dryer sheet frugal, and , and, now possibly the blue collar connection.

Hmmmmm?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:17 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'm leaving for the Bahamas tomorrow 8) - But it's 50 degrees here today! The cardinals are singing - they think it's spring! - How's it up there in Duluth?
Inched up above freezing yesterday. Maybe that 8 foot icicle hanging off the ice dams on our roof will start to melt. Snow again by the weekend.

Have fun in the Bahamas. We are leaving for a month next week.

Martha

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #31

Around 50 here today, and lower 50s tomorrow.
I'm looking for a big hole in the ice so I can get the
boat in the river. Oh spring, glorious spring

JG
Old 02-06-2005, 06:29 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

Hey, Dex. Just curious . . . are we talking about two issues here? Do you really know what it's like to be a gay man in a straight world? Doesn't matter the color of your collar, what's the color of your heart? Mine's rainbow colored. Born and raised poor in the Bronx myself, but didn't know it since everyone else was too. Think sexuality is nobody's business but your own, especially in the working world. I've never discussed it at work, but when I was finally invited to the big year-end dinner, I brought my partner with me. Guess I came out at that moment in time. Been lucky, that although nothing's been said, I've been totally accepted.
By the way, we've been together 22 years now . . . he's already retired and I'm going out in the spring. We got married last June in Massachusetts, and that actually got me on his medical! Whew!
Old 02-06-2005, 06:34 AM   #33

Nice story! Obviously I'm not touching it

JG
Old 02-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good thread!

My husband and I are both white-collar workers, but we were motivated to start saving for ER by good friends of ours- he's a mechanic and works for the fed. govt, she is a homemaker. One day hubby found our friend hiding out in his truck on a snowy day at work reading one of those "Retire at 50 with a Million" books. He will have 30 years of service in at age 48 and they are saving all they can in 401K and IRAs to supplement his federal pension, already have a paid-off home, and will be set.

We won't be able to ER until hubby is 56-- all those years spent in college and grad school set us back a little, I guess!

Old 02-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, Dex. Just curious . . . are we talking about two issues here? Do you really know what it's like to be a gay man in a straight world? Doesn't matter the color of your collar, what's the color of your heart? Mine's rainbow colored. Born and raised poor in the Bronx myself, but didn't know it since everyone else was too. Think sexuality is nobody's business but your own, especially in the working world. I've never discussed it at work, but when I was finally invited to the big year-end dinner, I brought my partner with me. Guess I came out at that moment in time. Been lucky, that although nothing's been said, I've been totally accepted.
By the way, we've been together 22 years now . . . he's already retired and I'm going out in the spring. We got married last June in Massachusetts, and that actually got me on his medical! Whew!
Calissidy,
My topic heading was an analogy for my feelings on work and the affect on my life and happiness. No, I am not gay and a person's sexuality is not an issue for me. It is the person that is important.
So from my prospective we are only talking about one issue.

As far as the color of the collar I have been working in a white collar world and the feelings I put out here most likely apply to every collar color.
When I started this thread I didn't really expect this response. I guess my thoughts touched a cord. If it helps others to gain an insight into their life so much the better.
And you are lucky to have found a partner to be with for 22 years.
I was once married to a girl from the Bronx but it didn't last. We were too young and there were other issues. Now with the passing of time all that is left is the regret and the wonder of what may have been and the path not taken.
As far as the Bronx goes someone once said: "It is a good place to have been from."