Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #21

When I go to the office, it's 23 miles one way or about 35 minutes. At 2 days a week of work now, I'm at 2 hrs 20 min commute time pee week. It used to be 5 hrs 50 minutes when I worked 5 days.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For ten years my round trip commute was 125 miles a day! On good days it was 1.75 hours one way. So the best case 17.5 hours a week.

Only time it really bothered me was a day I got caught downtown during a snowstorm, 4 hours to get home. The worst part of that was 1.5 hours just to get 4 blocks to the I-70 ramp.

If there was snow or ice in the morning, I called in and took a vacation day. That wasn't really allowed, but I worked for a couple of wonderful directors, that would bend the rules.
MRG

Old 03-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

For the first 18 yrs it was about 15 mins. The last 12 yrs was 40 minutes each way. Just long enough to listen to a class on tape or get a significant chuck of an audio book.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always used public transit to commute to work, whether it was the Long Island Rail Road, the NYC Subways, or the PATH trains (a small subway system connecting adjacent cities in New Jersey with Manhattan). For all but the first year of my career (subway only), I used the LIRR and one of the two other train systems. The cummute was always long and tiring, subject to delays and crowds and bad weather and labor problems and no A/C in the summer and hot, underground platforms. It was by far the number one reason I ERed.

The total commuting time, after the 25-minute subway-only time each way for the first 9 months of working (I lived in Manhattan), ranged from 60 minutes each way to 90 minutes each way, most of the years closer to 60 minutes on the LIRR and subway. For a short time in 1986, I had the 90-minute trip each way using 2 LIRR trains and the subway (15 hours per week). Then I moved closer to Manhattan.

But after my company relocated to New Jersey in 2001 (before the 9/11 attacks), the commute changed from LIRR+subway to LIRR+PATH, a slightly longer but more tiring commute (because the PATH connection was lousier). I was now up to 75 minutes each way per day, or 12.5 hours per week.

I did that commute for about 11 weeks until I got my part-time, mostly telecommute deal. I had to go to the office only 1 day a week and that lasted for 27 months. But the company ended open-ended telecommuting so I had to go to the office 3 days a week, returning to me much of the horrors of commuting (7.5 hours per week on 3 days). There were some new ones, too, such as the endless use of cell phone yakkers on the trains to make those trips even more annoying.

After 3 1/2 years of that, I reduced my hours so I would have to go to the office only 2 days a week (5 hours of commuting on 2 days). But even that became too much after 17 months so once all the pieces of my ER plan fell into place in 2008, I retired. I needed to reduce my commuting hours to zero.

I hated the commute so much that I told the HR guy in my exit interview that even if the company offered me my old telecommute deal back (I knew it was a non-starter), I would turn it down. That's how much I hated the commute.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #25

Hey thanks. Was enjoying Sunday till this thread reminded of Monday Work !.

16 miles one way to the current office, 45 min to work, 1 hr , 15 min to get home, if everything goes as planned 10 hours per week.

Sometimes I have to end the day off site, like 30 miles from home , and have a nice 2,5 hour comute home in Los Angeles Traffic, all on my own time.

Most time ever comuting 89 miles each way, 28 days a mo. a lot of years ago. Wasn't so bad, it was a 3rd shift job, civilian contractor at a D.O.D. facility, 6.5 hr shift , with a 25% shift bonus, and 1.5x bonus saturdays, 2x bonus on sundays. Did that for a year, made enough for a large down payment on a house.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #26

in my first job it was about 3 minutes. Actually was faster by bike by the time I got the car parked. In my current job it is about 30 minutes each way thanks to an expensive tollway. Not on the toll way could be up to 3x that in rush hour. Giving up that commute in 6 weeks time! Yeeeha!
Old 03-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
1. How many total hours a week do you spend commuting to and from your current place of employment.
If you are no longer employed, total weekly commute time at last place of employment.

Mine... last place, worked out of home... 0 hours.

2. What was your longest weekly commute time... total career?

Mine... 20 hours.
1. About 45 minutes a week currently... I suppose 90 minutes because I usually go home for lunch to work out and let our dog out.
2. Longest commute was 8-10 hours depending on traffic. I don't miss that one bit.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #28

I had a 17 mile drive so about 25 minutes each way or 250 minutes per week.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
It is 35 miles to my workplace one way, about 45 minutes to an hour each way.
I live on an island at the south end of the county and my office is on the north side. But what a beautiful drive it is, including the ride across the wonderful Cooper River Bridge every day. Attachment 18407
Nice!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

For the most part, I had a commute of about 10 minutes to the office. But as soon as I got there I had to swap into a company car and spend most of the rest of the day fighting traffic on L.A. Freeways.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #31

It's 20-25 minutes each way two days a week. The drive is sort of pleasant except when it rains, then the drive each way can be 45-50 minutes. I now work 10AM to 2PM, so I'm never in rush hour.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

When I used to w*rk, I had a very easy commute. Traveled by commuter train. About a 1/2 mile walk from my house to the station. At end office right across from station. About a 30 min time from office to platform by home.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

About 7 minutes each way for my last 15 years. Could actually see my mega corp from my deck. Could come home at lunch to let the dog out.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
About 7 minutes each way for my last 15 years. Could actually see my mega corp from my deck. Could come home at lunch to let the dog out.
Seeing your mega corp from your deck is both a good and bad thing
Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My final job (of 3 years): 6-10 minutes driving (to downtown) or 10-20 minutes if I took the bus.

My previous job was about the same (except no transit options).

The longest commute was about 40 minutes (30 miles) from one side of the metro area all the way to the other. Oddly enough it was for an unpaid internship that lasted for 3 months. I ended up working in the same building in my final job that I retired from (after a break of 10 years), however by the time I restarted work, I had relocated the 30 miles to the big city where we live now (just a few miles from downtown).

In my final job, I could see the whole north side of the city from my office window, including my neighborhood (which was fully blanketed with trees from an aerial perspective).
Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #36

I've fared well with commuting time. Current job is a 20 minute drive over 8 miles. Very congested at times, and go by several schools.

Previously I had one 5 year stretch which was 1 hour or more. Since I was a consultant there, I didn't mind.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #37

When employed it was about 2.5 hr/wk. unless I had some errands on the way home. That was usually the case to save on time and gas for extra trips.

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
1. How many total hours a week do you spend commuting to and from your current place of employment.
If you are no longer employed, total weekly commute time at last place of employment.

Mine... last place, worked out of home... 0 hours.

2. What was your longest weekly commute time... total career?

Mine... 20 hours.
My last job I telecommuted and traveled, so my commute could be 20 seconds (down the hall to my home office) or hours (when traveling).

My longest regular commute was a "reverse commute" (lived in the city and worked in the suburbs) and took 1.5 hours round trip (depending on traffic) so 7.5 hours a week.

Later in my career, for about a year I "commuted" from the east cost to London every other week (out on Sunday, return on Friday) so my "commute" then was about 11 hours one way.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Current commute is 40min/15mi roundtrip.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #40

It takes me 1 hour and 20 minutes in the morning and 1 hour and 45 minutes to get home.

I have just received approval to telework three days a week, as long as I'm in the office on Wednesday and Thursday. (that's really what they said ) So that will be a big life change for me. The commute was affecting my health, I believe.