Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Yep. Traffic sucks. It was one of the biggest motivators for my early retirement.
I think this is one of the major reasons why a lot of us sought early retirement.

I had some really horrible commutes although I always lived as close to w*rk as I could afford to. When you need anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to travel less than five miles (as the crow flies) you come to realize that there has to be something better.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #22

Traffic was THE main reason we moved from the D.C. area to WV. By the time I retired we had to plan our daily lives around traffic and I did the grocery shopping at 7:00 AM Sunday mornings. Otherwise every traffic light took at least two cycles, often more, to get through and then there was another one in two blocks.

"Rush hour" here (and there is one, albeit brief) Looks like traffic at 9:00 AM Sunday morning there.

Where I grew up was a moderately sleepy town outside Washington, D.C. and it was a nice place. By the late '70's though, it started to go downhill with the traffic and by now it is absolutely insane.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The town we're in is 25 miles east of KCMO, I w*rked there for 29 years. We moved out here in '89 at that time you exited off I-70 to a stop sign. That stop sign was the only traffic control in the whole town. Today there are 4 sets of lights controlling 3 lanes of traffic each way on that intersection. Another 4 lights on the south side and 4 on the north.

My commute in '88 was 35 minutes. In 2013 more like 90 minutes.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Raleigh was a rather sleepy little town when I moved there in the 1990s. It started to feel crowded by the time I moved out in 2005. I am sure they have widened I-40 between Raleigh and the airport yet again since then. Was the light rail to the airport ever built?
No. The plans they had were strange. But they are going to need something. It is still on the long term plan. Another long term plan is to try to build a "city center" right in the middle of RTP. The ideas is the youngsters want to walk to work. This basically means rezoning RTP radically. Still a ways off.

If you remember 540 in 2005, it was a sleepy arc of nice 6 lane freeway. Today? Gridlock for 6 miles from 4:30 to 7:00pm. It seemed to happen overnight. We are "Atlantacizing" this place.

Long term plan is toll roads everywhere. The new 540 arc out West is all toll. When they widen existing 540, it will be toll.

People of ER: DO NOT MOVE HERE! IT STINKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
You guys in the Raleigh and Atlanta areas certainly have my sympathy. I will say that we kinda expect traffic to be bad there (and in Charlotte, too), but somehow thought Charleston would be spared. And yeah, ask me what I think about Conde Nast voting us some kind of best place nonsense a few years in a row. Or Bill Murray telling people how great it is here. Ugh.

I love my rural home, but I'm starting to get that trapped feeling we used to get in the summers when we lived at the beach, and you couldn't go anywhere without some big hassle to leave and return.
Ha, I read about Bill M. Easy for him, he can go to one of his other homes or take a helicopter, etc.

We last visited 15 years ago and loved it. Always said to DW we could retire to SC if things got crazy in RDU. Well, maybe not.

And back to the OP: avoiding traffic is the #2 reason I'm looking forward to ER. Just TMY, TMY.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
No. The plans they had were strange. But they are going to need something. It is still on the long term plan. Another long term plan is to try to build a "city center" right in the middle of RTP. The ideas is the youngsters want to walk to work. This basically means rezoning RTP radically. Still a ways off.

If you remember 540 in 2005, it was a sleepy arc of nice 6 lane freeway. Today? Gridlock for 6 miles from 4:30 to 7:00pm. It seemed to happen overnight. We are "Atlantacizing" this place.

Long term plan is toll roads everywhere. The new 540 arc out West is all toll. When they widen existing 540, it will be toll.

I lived for a while right off 540, in the Leesville area, so I remember it well. I-540 was the more pleasant part of my commute because traffic was so light on that stretch of highway! They must have build a lot of new neighborhoods in North Raleigh since then.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I commute 3 hours a day and have done for 36 years, this is one of the reasons I intend to get out early next year. It is becoming more stressful every day and can't be healthy at all.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
OK, gotcha! I won't.

I don't really believe that it stinks, though. Raleigh has a very good image and reputation. Actually, in my case I don't plan to ever move anywhere until they take me out of here feet first, or until I until I decide to sign up for a nearby CCRC.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Commute is a state of mind....

I have had 45 minutes to an hour commute most of my life... but I remember when I was living in a small town between a big city where I worked and another town where I went to college (both about an hour away), I used to get upset when I had to wait for lights and my 5 minute commute someplace turned into a 10 minute ride...

Remember the commercial where a guy in Africa was on a bike and complaining about all the traffic and they zoomed back and all that was in front of him was a bus Yep, perspective....

Some people accept or like or whatever you want to call it their commute because of their own personality... I have a sister that lives a LONG way from anything... her and her husband love living on 40 acres with very few neighbors around.... they enjoy driving (at least they say they do).... and traffic is not bad for them... it just takes awhile to go 40 to 60 miles to get where you want to go... I would get tired of it eventually... my commute was broken up as I took a bus to a park and ride...
Old 11-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

"The report identifies the 50 worst bottlenecks in the country, and six of the top 10 are in Los Angeles. The Southland scores 12 of the worst traffic stopping choke points overall."

I tortured thru LA freeway for many years. Tried driving, train, or bus from suburb to downtown. I had to spend almost 90 minutes one way no matter what transportation I use. I finally gave up and got a job close to home. I now commute from my bed to home office in less than 10 seconds.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #30

Not surprised that the 405 in LA is at the top of the list... It can be 10 at night and it will jam up inexplicably around the I-10/405 interchange.

I had a 6.5 mile commute. I went into work early - so it wasn't so bad... about 10 minutes. But coming home was always longer. Used to be a 15 minute commute on a good day... but it kept creeping long and longer and pretty soon it was 30 minutes most of the time, with 45 minutes becoming almost common... Part of the problem was that the interchange near work was part of a major construction project... DH used to laugh that it would complete the day after I retired... When I saw that it wasn't due to be done till 2019, I decided not to wait.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #31

I started at Megacorp with a 10-15 minute commute. Great for 15 years, then they decide to move everyone to the big city. So that made it a 1.5 hour commute each way. So glad I am out.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #32

Amateurs and rookies, I say. The authors clearly aren't well traveled. Traffic in cities like São Paulo and Caracas gives new meaning to rush hour.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't plan to ever move anywhere until they take me out of here feet first, or until I until I decide to sign up for a nearby CCRC.
One of my neighbors, up in his 80s, has a nice line.

"I can't move from here until I get my toe tag."
Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I was in the traffic engineering then toll road building business, so let's just say that traffic jams meant job security and it meant business was always good. Death, taxes, and traffic - 3 certain things in life.

In my personal life, I never liked driving that much. I turned down higher paying jobs with a long commute in favor of <10 minute commutes (we live in the city). Yeah, sometimes it takes 3-4 minutes to cross the main road if you just miss the light, but we're close to everything so it doesn't take long to get there on average.

The downside is that driving 20 minutes to the other side of town seems like a big road trip for me.

There's really just a few horrible areas in our city that get clogged up. Whenever someone inquires about moving to the other side of those horrible areas such that a commute through the horrible area would be required to get to work, my professional advice is that they make the drive at 7:45 am and 5:15 pm a couple times before making an offer on a house way out yonder.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
One of my neighbors, up in his 80s, has a nice line.

"I can't move from here until I get my toe tag."
There you go! That's exactly how I feel, after moving last summer. That's it, I'm done, that's all she wrote. Not moving again, nope, no way no how.

Luckily my present home is my idea of heaven so it's all good.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

The slowly worsening commute many report is unsurprising. Not only does population everywhere tend to grow over the decades of one's career, but mobility often declines.

In my case when I was young and single I would move to minimize my commute whenever I changed jobs. No big deal when you rent and don't have much stuff. Then in my early 30's I bought a house - an easy 2 minute drive or 10 minute bike ride from work. A few years later I found a wife to move into said house. When that job finally went away a few years after that moving was no longer so simple.

Still the 30 minute commute each way I found myself with in my 40s wasn't so bad. Traffic jams were rare and the commute didn't really impact my schedule much. Then, that job went away as well in my early 50s, and I had a choice: RE or commute from hell. Sadly I was a coward and chose door number 2. I've described that multi-hour commute monstrosity elsewhere, but suffice it to say the last 4 years have been the most physically punishing of my life and the primary reason for my retirement.

My point though, is that while the details may vary this general theme is repeated by many workers everywhere. Job stability is largely a thing of the past, but residential inertia is not. Once we have homes and families it is more likely than not that our commutes will all slowly worsen as we age.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Where I grew up was a moderately sleepy town outside Washington, D.C. and it was a nice place. By the late '70's though, it started to go downhill with the traffic and by now it is absolutely insane.
I worked in MD and lived in VA. Traffic was sucky but not usually horrible. But if something happened it could go to absolutely insane very quickly.

I once got stuck on the Beltway for 6 and a half hours in a snowstorm because the Cabin John Bridge froze over and the accidents created gridlock. I was past the last exit and couldn't go anywhere. From that day on I left work the moment the snow started. My nickname at work was "Snowflake".
Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I once got stuck on the Beltway for 6 and a half hours in a snowstorm because the Cabin John Bridge froze over and the accidents created gridlock. I was past the last exit and couldn't go anywhere. From that day on I left work the moment the snow started. My nickname at work was "Snowflake".
My wife once got stuck in 9 hours of gridlock coming home from work when the roads iced over. She was 8.5 months pregnant. And that was the day I happened to take her cell phone to repair it. Fun times.

She learned to pee before leaving work because you never know how bad traffic will be.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I lived for a while right off 540, in the Leesville area, so I remember it well. I-540 was the more pleasant part of my commute because traffic was so light on that stretch of highway! They must have build a lot of new neighborhoods in North Raleigh since then.
Many apartment buildings went up. Also massive development in the "Wakefield" area, south of Wake Forest, but annexed by Raleigh. The big kicker was they finished it out to US64, so now it is a shortcut route from Greensboro to points east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, gotcha! I won't.

I don't really believe that it stinks, though. Raleigh has a very good image and reputation. Actually, in my case I don't plan to ever move anywhere until they take me out of here feet first, or until I until I decide to sign up for a nearby CCRC.
I forgot my . You know people, cough, cough, this place is terrible. Don't come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I was in the traffic engineering then toll road building business, so let's just say that traffic jams meant job security and it meant business was always good. Death, taxes, and traffic - 3 certain things in life.
Every night while I'm forced to take 1/4 of a mile worth of 540 to avoid the 40/540 mess, I curse FUEGO's name as that automatic toll rips 72 cents out of my account.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
I forgot my . You know people, cough, cough, this place is terrible. Don't come here.
I got it and took it as similar to the Texas jokes on the forum. I probably should have included a or or in my post too. Oh well!

- - H. Melville, 1851