Join Early Retirement Today

Compact Discs Blanks
Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Compact Discs Blanks

Is there any difference in cd's for recording music? I don't care about write speed rating, and can't think why there would be other differences that would matter. Any reason to buy anything other than the cheapest?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Compact Discs Blanks
Old 03-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, some cheap media will simply no longer be readable within the next decade or two. Not so bad on a music or video player, but fairly bad for computer/file usage.

They'll degrade and start showing recoverable errors after a while, then become unusable.

This is not to say that some expensive media wont do exactly the same thing.

I use the cheap stuff for video and music...by the time it drops dead I wont care about the subject matter anymore. Some older, slower, very expensive stuff from when media incompatibilities were huge problems and media makers were more careful for the data.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

CFB, how do they degrade?

BTW, I'm in the process of recording my LP's to cd's, & processing the noise out as I do so, so I want the cd's to last.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Lots of ways...poor sealing of the media layer sandwich, the quality of the reflective layer, the quality of the dye, where it was manufactured and how it was handled during manufacture, and how you store it.

Use Taiyo Yudens, and keep them out of direct sun, high heat, and in a cool dry place.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CFB, I think Bobot is referring to CDs that say they are made specifically for music. To the best of my knowledge there is absolutely no functional or sound quality difference between "music" blank CDRs and other blank CDRs. Just the price. And the salesperson BS.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq01.html#S1-13

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-5
Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That's right. The "Audio" CDs have an amount tacked on to the price that goes to artists. There is some audio recording equipment that will only accept these "Audio" CDs, but for the purposes of recording on a computer, they are no different from the CD-R discs that are cheaper.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

On a similar note, I love www.supermediastore.com for buying blanks.
Great selection and prices, plus free shipping on many items.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #8

i started researching this because i want to put family archives on dvd for my future vagabond life, to share with current family & to pass onto future generations.

what i learned so far is that the more costly dvd's are supposed to last longer. in particular i was refered to discs with a gold reflective layer like verbatim's ultra life gold & tdk.

i'll use the more expensive discs because i really want the best transfer and storage possible. but i'm not convinced that shorter term storage would not be just as appropriate because i suspect that before any of these discs deteriorate an entirely new storage & read system will come into use.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
...because i suspect that before any of these discs deteriorate an entirely new storage & read system will come into use.
Whattaya mean? Vinyl eight track cassette Betamax VHS compact disc DVD Blueray is the $hit!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #10

In a computer you should be able to use either data CDs or Audio/Music CDs. But if you are using a CD Recorder, which is a stand alone unit that does not need a computer, you may be required to use the Audio/Music CDs.