Join Early Retirement Today

Compact SUVs
Old 04-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Compact SUVs

I haven't read the whole thread so this may be an non-issue ..

Things may be better now but how do Prius fare in snow and rain? I don't see Prius here in Ontario, Canada -where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread so this may be an non-issue ..

Things may be better now but how do Prius fare in snow and rain? I don't see Prius here in Ontario, Canada -where I live.
We live in San Diego for now, so not much of an issue.

That said, it is a consideration. I prefer an AWD vehicle as there's a good chance we'll move after four years or so. That said, all of the options we're down to are either FWD or have AWD available, so I think they're going to be fine.

If we do move in a few years, it won't be to someplace that gets boatloads of snow. Most likely the farthest north will be someplace like Nashville, TN. And we'll be purchasing another vehicle to replace mine sometime in that time frame as well so could opt for larger/AWD then too.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #43

The Audi Q3 or the Mercedez GLA-250 are nice small compact SUVs. I think they are priced around $35K+.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
The Audi Q3 or the Mercedez GLA-250 are nice small compact SUVs. I think they are priced around $35K+.
Those were both ruled out. Audi for style/expense (like the BMW better). Mercedes for size - too small. Mercedes was ruled out for same reason as the Mazda CX-3, Lexus CT200h, etc.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Is ground clearance important? The Subaru Crosstek is basically an Impreza that sits higher, and costs a bit more. It seems to me that Subaru has made big strides in the last few years. My son loves his 2013 Impreza and I love my 2014 Forester.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if service cost means anything to you but a BMW could put you in the poorhouse. Of course, you are OK until the warranty runs out.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Is ground clearance important? The Subaru Crosstek is basically an Impreza that sits higher, and costs a bit more. It seems to me that Subaru has made big strides in the last few years. My son loves his 2013 Impreza and I love my 2014 Forester.
Not really a concern. We like the CrossTrek (I'm a fan of Subaru and will immediately have the Outback in my finalists in a few years when it's my turn), but we like the HRV a bit better in that genre. I like the way the CrossTrek looks in part because it rides higher, but in this instance I'm only 49% of the vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I don't know if service cost means anything to you but a BMW could put you in the poorhouse. Of course, you are OK until the warranty runs out.
That is a concern. I'll do the bulk of the routine maintenance (in the case of the BMW after the four year maintenance inclusion runs out), but reliability is certainly a check in favor of either the Honda or the Prius, and repair costs would favor those two as well as the Hyundai and Kia should we delay long enough to see their hybrids come online.

Reliability is a chief reason why the Fiat 500X never got serious consideration... that and the fact that it's markedly smaller, though not quite as small as the CX-3 and GLA.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

We went with 2016 Honda CR-V AWD EX. Spouse drives it each weekday a few miles to the train. Loves it.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know the CX-5 has been ruled by the OP but just to add to some of the comments in the thread on it for Silver...

We purchased a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD w/ 2.5L engine and quite like it overall. Love the handling and drivability of the car. We test drove the 2013 version with 2.0L engine and it was a bit too wimpy. The 2.5L engine makes all the difference. However, we find the fuel economy is just ok for an SUV and definitely lacking compared to its sticker specs. We've owned our CX-5 for 3 years (it was release spring of 2013) and have just done regular maintenance. It's held its condition well with nothing broken or really worn.

If we had to do it over again, the CX-5 wouldn't be a slam dunk but it would be near the top of the list.

We checked out the CX-3 at an autoshow and agree it's a bit too small and would have liked a bit more elevation.
YVRRocketSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #50

I like the Mazda SUVs a lot. They'll get a look when it's my turn too.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #51

We have a 2014 Murano. Not sure if you have looked at it. It is the most comfortable car I have ever had. We have the two wheel drive mode. We also live in the sticks, so mostly hwy miles. If I drive between 55 and 65, i average about 25 mpg. Normal driving, however, 23.5 is standard.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #52

After about six months of keeping an eye on the market, research, test drives, and waiting out good deals, we made the leap yesterday.

It ultimately came down to two options:
2017 Kia Sportage EX (with popular and tech packages)
2016 BMW X1 (premium and cold weather)

We ruled out the Honda HRV after poor performance and disliking the interior fit/finish.
We ruled out the Fiat for reliability concerns as well as being too small for our childseat/stroller needs.

We drove the Audi Q3. While that ended up being my preferred option, it had less cargo space and didn't fit DW as well, and she's the primary driver.

As with a lot of these decisions, it came down to trying to justify spending more money on an essentially similar vehicle. The 2017 Kia is markedly larger now, with better reliability, better warranty, same cargo space but more spacious back seat, worse gas mileage and worse performance. We could get the one we wanted for around $30k.

The BMW with the options we wanted had MSRP around $40k depending on which bells and whistles were included. After a lot of digging and talking to dealers in LA and even New Hampshire, and looking at various dealer loaner sales options, we learned when BMW's fiscal quarter ended (June 30th) and learned that they were shutting down production on the 2016 X1s next month. Every dealer we talked to was trying to move their 2016 inventory, particularly by the end of June.

We found fully loaded 2016 X1s for $37,000 with 5000 miles and preferred exterior color but not the interior color we wanted about two weeks ago. This was a good deal...

We waited it out, leveraged dealer offers against one another, and ultimately yesterday were able to get a brand new X1 in preferred colors (both in and out) along with upgraded upholstery for $36,700 (MSRP of $41,695 for premium, luxury, and cold weather - almost 12% below MSRP, and 5% below supposed dealer invoice) which was actually less expensive than the used, 5000-mile loaner and the only other difference was that the used had Nav (which we didn't care about). It ended up even being under the MSRP for an X1 with only her "must haves".

That sealed the deal for us. So we made the trek north and drove past at least five other dealerships for the one that came in with exactly what DW wanted at the best price we'd found. (This required me to drive to LA, which I avoid at all costs. )

Ultimately, this wasn't the most financially responsible purchase possible, but it also doesn't stretch our budget or change our saving ability. The X1 is really nice, not too big for our smallish two-car garage, fits DW well and is very fun to drive. There's some value in that, and I feel like the decision was made based on actually enjoying the vehicle more (sportier, AWD (in the event we move east), better gas mileage, nice little touches) than it was made on buying a prestigious badge. That's really not DWs style (I'm a little more likely to want something like a BMW than she is)... and in any event, for what we ended up with, we got an "exceptional price" by TrueCar, Edmunds, and traditional pricing metric standards.

We said goodbye to the old faithful 2005 Acura RSX after 163,500 miles. Carmax gave us $2,000 (dealer offered $1,000 on trade).

So, we're happy. Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be replacing my car in a few years... after joking with DW that "now I need an X5, right?", I built one on Edmunds and damn near choked at the MSRP I had created... I think a nice, fully-loaded Scooby will be more up my alley.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
I know the CX-5 has been ruled by the OP but just to add to some of the comments in the thread on it for Silver...

We purchased a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD w/ 2.5L engine and quite like it overall. Love the handling and drivability of the car. We test drove the 2013 version with 2.0L engine and it was a bit too wimpy. The 2.5L engine makes all the difference. However, we find the fuel economy is just ok for an SUV and definitely lacking compared to its sticker specs. We've owned our CX-5 for 3 years (it was release spring of 2013) and have just done regular maintenance. It's held its condition well with nothing broken or really worn.

If we had to do it over again, the CX-5 wouldn't be a slam dunk but it would be near the top of the list.

We checked out the CX-3 at an autoshow and agree it's a bit too small and would have liked a bit more elevation.
I test drove both the CX-3 and the CX-5 and found the CX-3 to be too small and the CX-5 to "SUV-like" for my preferences. Then, I heard about the CX-4, which is only being released overseas this year, but may come to North America next year. The 2.5L engine is available:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CX4.jpg (546.1 KB, 14 views)
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I test drove both the CX-3 and the CX-5 and found the CX-3 to be too small and the CX-5 to "SUV-like" for my preferences. Then, I heard about the CX-4, which is only being released overseas this year, but may come to North America next year. The 2.5L engine is available:
geez can you even see out of those things? that looks like 95% blind spot
Old 07-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

The driver is probably texting anyway...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I hope my wife doesn't see this... she felt the same way about the CX-3 and CX-5, so the 4 would've been the sweet spot! Oh well, we had to move this summer anyway...
Old 07-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
It's been mentioned before, but there is no blind spot if the mirrors are correctly aimed.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #58

In mid 2012 when I was interested in buying my new retirement car after years of buying used I went to all the dealers that sold compact SUVs. Most did not want to discuss what I considered reasonable prices and many vehicles had something about them that didn't quite tickle my fancy. A few dealerships were even obnoxious but I go in expecting that. I actually like the boxy look and settled on the 2012 Ford Escape. The sales person was even pleasant and worked with me for a great deal. I've been pleased with my choice ever since. It serves it's purpose as a compact SUV, gets 25mpg in town and 32mpg on the highway, and the tires don't show hardly any wear after 38k miles. But then there are many nice cars in todays market.

Good luck on your search.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote