Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always wondered if my direct supervisor was spying on me and knowing my internet usage or not at the office. With will power, I'd post a yellow sticker note nearby the monitor reminding myself that big brother could be watching. Once when home connection speeds got faster than dialup, not using the company internet wasn't so difficult.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Before I retired, I used a hotspot from CLEAR on my laptop.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #23

Any employee of an investment bank deals with this. They are required to save all inbound and outbound communications from their employees so they lock you out of the ones they don't control.

I used my smart phone once i had one. Before then I used work email for personal stuff when it couldn't be avoided.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi. I called Verizon, my cell phone carrier. Using Verizon Prepaid, I can get unlimited talk, unlimited text and email access for about 5 dollars more a month then the limited plan (limited talk/limited text/no email) I currently have. It will cost about 50 bucks a month. I won't have internet access on this phone, but I can use the internet at work and home when necessary.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if you can try to work from home. Maybe you can't otherwise you would have done it.

I work from home so I have the option of having company laptop for work, and personal PC for personal emails and stuff.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If sucking it up and getting a smart phone prevents you from LBYM you probably should be starting a new thread...or find the nearest wi-fi and get creative about time out of the building...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
Hi. I called Verizon, my cell phone carrier. Using Verizon Prepaid, I can get unlimited talk, unlimited text and email access for about 5 dollars more a month then the limited plan (limited talk/limited text/no email) I currently have. It will cost about 50 bucks a month. I won't have internet access on this phone, but I can use the internet at work and home when necessary.
I use T-Mobile prepaid 1500 minutes/texts (either/or) with 30MB of data per month for $30.00 plus tax (I don't text on the phone). I bought an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus GSM phone with "WIFI" from Amazon for +/-$70.00. Bought some neat accys for it for next to nothing off Amazon (chargers, leather case, etc). I went to the T-mobile store and they provided me with the SIM chip for free (normally runs $10.00) and signed me up for the prepaid monthly $30.00 package mentioned above (cancel at anytime) and ported over my existing phone number. This will give you wifi access on the phone and also allow you to occasionally access the internet using the 30MB data when needed (and wifi is not available).

You can also utilize wifi only on an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus wifi phone with just a T-Mobile prepay minutes plan - 1000 minutes for $100.00 that doesn't expire for a year. Trick is to borrow someone's GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile, Walmart, etc.) phone's SIM chip to activate the unlocked Palm phone. Afterwards reinstall your SIM chip and your good to go. You can also change your T-Mobile prepaid plan at any time (when it's to your advantage).

I have not tried this, but there are CDMA wifi cell phones (no SIM chip - Sprint, Verizon, etc.) out there you may purchase off Amazon for aro. $100.00. You might be able to have your Verizon service switched over to the CDMA phone (I'd verify this with Verizon). It would give you wifi access on the phone with your current limited minutes/texts Verizon service.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, gratefully I can work from home for 2 days a week, so those days are covered. It is the other three days I am worried about.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately for me, t-mobile coverage is really poor in the area where I live and work. I can look into the Verizon CDMA wi-fi phone though.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Consider yourself lucky that you have the option of using a personal cell phone in your work place. Where I work, we are not allowed to bring cell phones on site unless it's a company issued phone.

I was not happy when this new rule was instituted because I work in a very dangerous chemical/radiation plant and there have been instances where we have had to shelter in place due to a release with no way to contact family. Not to mention that there are rare occasions that I'd like to have a private conversation and that is not guaranteed when using company phones.

When your employer has you by the short hairs of your wallet you don't have much choice in the matter.