Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
For those having trouble cancelling the auto pay, why not just call your credit card company and instruct them to deny any new charges from EH?
Wouldn't you then get dinged by EHarm for "non-payment!"? Then it gets on your credit rating etc etc. I think they know people are afraid of this exact thing happening ergo people pay 2 or 3 months of extortion money until things "get sorted out". AOL used to do the same thing
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Maybe folks just don't know how to cancel But the internet is riddled with folks saying once you sign up, canceling from eharmony is like the roach motel
I can state from personal experience that cancelling on eHarmony was easy and should not be a barrier to anyone who wishes to give it a shot.

Regarding pets, I found that most people included that information in their profiles. Something like, "my best friend is Spot and we do everything together" followed by a picture.

Regarding pictures, there is a definite opportunity out there to help people take good selfies. I was surprised by the poor quality of the photos that people would post, but then again, it is kind of hard to take a good one by yourself and involving someone else brings up that stigma issue again.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
I can state from personal experience that cancelling on eHarmony was easy and should not be a barrier to anyone who wishes to give it a shot.

Regarding pets, I found that most people included that information in their profiles. Something like, "my best friend is Spot and we do everything together" followed by a picture.

Regarding pictures, there is a definite opportunity out there to help people take good selfies. I was surprised by the poor quality of the photos that people would post, but then again, it is kind of hard to take a good one by yourself and involving someone else brings up that stigma issue again.
Good to hear from someone who used the site and did a cancellation.

From what I've read, the problems seems mostly from folks getting their subscriptions automatically renewed when they didn't want that.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

I meant to respond earlier, but... Anyway, I was on Match for a year or so, as well as a short eHarmony trial and I had to say I was very underwhelmed with the women I saw & read.

And I even went on a number of group singles dinners about town and those were even worse. My fav. story was the dinner with 4 men & 4 women about the table. Part way through one woman mentions "Eat Pray Love" (It had just come out). All the women say they saw the movie and then ignore the men at the table for the next half hour while they discuss it. We (The guys) look at each other and you could tell we all thought the same - "If this is how they treat men they want to impress... well... ) I think the big issue for me is living in the DC area - the women are driven and expect the men to be secondary in their life.

Thankfully a friend recommended I check up on old flames. I found her on linkedin (from 25 years ago in college!) and we hit it off better than before, going on 4 years strong now.
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrugalPhan View Post
My fav. story was the dinner with 4 men & 4 women about the table. Part way through one woman mentions "Eat Pray Love" (It had just come out). All the women say they saw the movie and then ignore the men at the table for the next half hour while they discuss it. We (The guys) look at each other and you could tell we all thought the same - "If this is how they treat men they want to impress... well... )

That sounds like a terrible idea (agreeing to go to that dinner, not the book or film).

But it's good that it's worked out elsewhere!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
From what I've read, the problems seems mostly from folks getting their subscriptions automatically renewed when they didn't want that.
Actually, I almost mentioned the need to pay attention to the auto-renewal in my earlier post because that particular profile setting is kind of buried a little. So I'd agree that is something to watch out for.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Any experiences with Chemistry.com? That seems kinda like a similar not not as popular version of eharmony.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
Actually, I almost mentioned the need to pay attention to the auto-renewal in my earlier post because that particular profile setting is kind of buried a little. So I'd agree that is something to watch out for.
This thread hasn't any activity for a bit but just want to make an update. So, I decided, about a year ago, what the heck, I'll be a guinea pig and signed up for eharmony for 2 years at about $10/month (one time payment).

I've since decided to not continue my membership but the are no refunds. I should have the remaining time on my subscription but looks like the "keep you subscribed games" are already happening. Today, I got a "match" that I went "Okay, I look at the profile", but when trying to sign in, I can't as I get a splash screen saying something like "In order to extend your subscription, choose from on of three options..." with no option to decline and just sign in. Then a chat box comes up saying "can I help?"

My conclusion is that people can meet their soulmate in eharmony (going to a nephew's wedding in about a month, he met is DW to be through eharmony). But eharmony's subscription tactics border on being a racket .

Hopefully, I totally done with them. I say hopefully as now my concern is they'll try and bill me somehow anyhow for another subscription.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I tried match and was underwhelmed. I found our time (over 50) better.

But after a couple "didn't works", I just signed off and met a nice woman at the dog park and we've been together for over a year now.

The internet dating was good to "polish up" my dating skills which needed some polishing after 30 years of marriage, but I like the old fashioned method better.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I tried match and was underwhelmed. I found our time (over 50) better.

But after a couple "didn't works", I just signed off and met a nice woman at the dog park and we've been together for over a year now.

The internet dating was good to "polish up" my dating skills which needed some polishing after 30 years of marriage, but I like the old fashioned method better.
I'm in the same boat Robbie, decided to get back into the "dating" world after 30 years of marriage but just didn't get into the on line dating. Haven't met anyone yet but I'll hang in there with the old fashion "hi, how are you" in person style first.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #111

I met a few good women on OK Cupid. Have even managed to keep one of them interested in me for the last four years.
OK Cupid is free for the basic membership and you can find some pretty cool statistical analysis on their blog.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

I met my wife on Match.com 10 years ago. I remember after a few so-so dates further narrowing my search for a key word (faith). That did the trick for me. I saved our entire thread and still look back at it every now and then. Man was my poetry bad
krldrummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote