Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I tried a few of those websites in an free basis (i.e. viewing profiles and posting my own profile) but nothing could overcome my being a childfree person. Simply stating that I have no children, don't want any children, or seeing in the woman's profile that she either is single/divorced/widowed with children eliminated nearly all of the profiles I saw (or eliminated me from further consideration by them). I never spent a dime on any of those dating services.

However, as I got older (into my 40s), if a woman had adult child(ren) who lived on their own and did not rely on their moms for everyday life, then these women became possibilities again. I met my ladyfriend 10 years ago and I met her adult daughter (who is divorced with 3 kids of her own) for the first time last year. She (her daughter) lives 700 miles away.
I have met PLENTY of super single women on both Eharmony, Tinder and OK Cupid.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
I have met PLENTY of super single women on both Eharmony, Tinder and OK Cupid.
Single, childfree women? There were many single women on the dating websites I checked out, but nearly all of them wanted to have children, a dealbreaker for me. The women either already had children or wanted to have children.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Single, childfree women? There were many single women on the dating websites I checked out, but nearly all of them wanted to have children, a dealbreaker for me. The women either already had children or wanted to have children.
Yes, I'd say 1 in 5 women I connect with are super single. age 30-50, no kids and never married.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Yes, I'd say 1 in 5 women I connect with are super single. age 30-50, no kids and never married.
Again, childfree women? Plenty of women (single, divorced, widowed, none of which are dealbreakers) with no kids in the websites I visited years ago. But nearly all of them wanted to have kids (those under 40 or 45), and that eliminated at least 95% of the women. Maybe it is geographic, or childfree women are creeping into these websites more now than they were 10+ years ago. But in the women's profiles, the best I could do was if the woman chose "maybe" or "doesn't matter" or "not important" or something indecisive like that when it came to children. I never saw a profile in which the woman flat out stated, "I don't want children."
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Then the logical next step would be to select for somewhat older women who are no longer able to have children, and whose existing children would be older and approaching independence. Women spend the entire second half of their lives in an infertile state, so there are many to choose from.

Amethyst

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #46

And then there's the flip side -- men who eventually decide they want children who end up in relationships with women who don't have (or want) children.

From personal experience, I had two long-term relationships (13 and 8 years respectively) with two great guys end, as they eventually decided they wanted kids and I never did.

(Both went on to marry others and have 2 kids each.)

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Again, childfree women? Plenty of women (single, divorced, widowed, none of which are dealbreakers) with no kids in the websites I visited years ago. But nearly all of them wanted to have kids (those under 40 or 45), and that eliminated at least 95% of the women. Maybe it is geographic, or childfree women are creeping into these websites more now than they were 10+ years ago. But in the women's profiles, the best I could do was if the woman chose "maybe" or "doesn't matter" or "not important" or something indecisive like that when it came to children. I never saw a profile in which the woman flat out stated, "I don't want children."
Believe it or not, the vast majority of women who want children have that desire because it is built into their genetic makeup.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #48

I a guy I work with (for 9 more in- office days ) that is on multiple dating sites. He makes great money with no kids. He is currently "in relationships" with four different women although the number may have changed through these sites. Most have children. Once they figure out how much he makes and they envision the possibilities they join his harem although they aren't aware of the others.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Believe it or not, the vast majority of women who want children have that desire because it is built into their genetic makeup.
I am still looking for that girl whose ancestors didn't have children

What I can't figure out (evolutionary speaking) is the high amount of men who don't want children. Guess the genetic consequences of not caring for kids are not as bad if you are a dude?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We humans have free will, unlike animals who simply reproduce. We don't have to reproduce if we don't want to. To me there is a lot of peer pressure to reproduce but there is nothing genetic about that and it surely can be fought successfully. There is no such thing as a "childfree" gene.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Then the logical next step would be to select for somewhat older women who are no longer able to have children, and whose existing children would be older and approaching independence. Women spend the entire second half of their lives in an infertile state, so there are many to choose from.

Amethyst
While my age range for desirable women to date crept upward as I aged, I wasn't really interested in older, post-menopausal women in their late 40s and 50s until I turned around 40. Keep in mind that many women in their 40s and early 50s are divorced or widowed and have dependent children so they were eliminated from consideration, too. And, thanks to today's medical advances, many women in their 40s can still have children (and still want to have them), so they were also eliminated from consideration.

And if I happened to find a childfree woman, I still had to overcome all the Other compatibility issues anyone (man or woman) would have to face, from being a non-smoker to bad chemistry (then there is something really off about Long Island women, but I digress). And she'd have to be interested in me, too. But when I start off eliminating 90% or 95% of the women out there, it gets really tough.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......... And she'd have to be interested in me, too. But when I start off eliminating 90% or 95% of the women out there, it gets really tough.
Statistically, it is tough. Unless you are a bisexual, you start out by eliminating half the population. Then sort by age, education, religion, marital status and political persuasion and it is a miracle that anyone ever finds a true match. That's why I found the capability to sort on-line possibilities to be enormously useful.

Transcript | This American Life

Quote:
David Kestenbaum

She's not married either. And so we start to draw it for her. And then we started to say, well, OK, half of them are men. So we'd circle half. And then we'd say, well, what's the age group you're interested in? And then we'd sort of circle a smaller subset. And then she had all these other requirements like the guy had to be taller than her. And she's pretty tall. So that really limited things. And then she said he had to be smarter than her. And she's a Harvard physics professor, so that was even smaller. And basically we got down to there being nobody.
[LAUGHTER]
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Statistically, it is tough. Unless you are a bisexual, you start out by eliminating half the population. Then sort by age, education, religion, marital status and political persuasion and it is a miracle that anyone ever finds a true match. That's why I found the capability to sort on-line possibilities to be enormously useful.
It would be even less if you are bisexual. I suspect that most strong heterosexuals would not be interested in a bisexual partner.

It reminds me of a comedy routine I heard once where the woman comedian was talking about her failed marriage to a bisexual man. One of the lines was "He came up to me and said he wanted to have sex. I asked him, with who?"
Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We humans have free will, unlike animals who simply reproduce. We don't have to reproduce if we don't want to. To me there is a lot of peer pressure to reproduce but there is nothing genetic about that and it surely can be fought successfully. There is no such thing as a "childfree" gene.
Apologies to the OP for going off topic, but I think this is an interesting discussion.

I have never wanted to have my own children. In my 40's I tried to want to have a child, but couldn't muster those desires. My only sibling, a sister, is 3 years older than me, and exactly the same way. Does not have, never wanted, children.

My husband of seven years, who I met on Match.com, also is child-free and never wanted children. His only sib, a brother a few years older, never had or wanted to have children.

We all like children to some degree. My entire career was in pediatric nursing. But wanting to reproduce is a foreign concept to all of us. So....maybe there is some type of unknown related hard-wiring.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
We all like children to some degree. My entire career was in pediatric nursing. But wanting to reproduce is a foreign concept to all of us. So....maybe there is some type of gene.
If it was genetic I'm sure that would have been (un)bred out of the gene pool although the ability to eliminate reproduction without abstinence is a relatively recent option. Wanted or not, you had a high likelihood of reproducing.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Is it the Retire Early website?

LOL....no. Millionairematch.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I tried match.com a few years ago. I only met a few women for dates and all of those encountered turned out to be a bit strange. Gave up on online dating.

Maybe early-retirement.org needs a singles forum.
I hear people make comments like this and just don't get it. Do you assume that just because you have a few not-so-great dates that every single woman or man on-line is undesirable? Have you ever been married? Was your ex the first person you EVER met in school/a bar/public place/set up by relatives/etc.?

People seem to see nothing wrong with the endless attempt to meet someone randomly, and meeting hundreds of people that way without ending up married...but a few dates from on-line matches that didn't make them swoon at first-sight, and it's forever ruled out
Old 02-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We all like children to some degree. My entire career was in pediatric nursing. But wanting to reproduce is a foreign concept to all of us. So....maybe there is some type of unknown related hard-wiring.
Can't say I agree with this (in bold). Some of the childfree websites I frequent have plenty of people who hate children and want to have nothing to do with them. While I am not in that camp, I greatly limit my interactions with children to my occasional volunteer work with them.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Apologies to the OP for going off topic, but I think this is an interesting discussion.

I have never wanted to have my own children. In my 40's I tried to want to have a child, but couldn't muster those desires. My only sibling, a sister, is 3 years older than me, and exactly the same way. Does not have, never wanted, children.

My husband of seven years, who I met on Match.com, also is child-free and never wanted children. His only sib, a brother a few years older, never had or wanted to have children.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Can't say I agree with this (in bold). Some of the childfree websites I frequent have plenty of people who hate children and want to have nothing to do with them. While I am not in that camp, I greatly limit my interactions with children to my occasional volunteer work with them.
I was referring only to my family when I said we all like children to some degree. There was no intent to generalize.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I a guy I work with (for 9 more in- office days ) that is on multiple dating sites. He makes great money with no kids. He is currently "in relationships" with four different women although the number may have changed through these sites. Most have children. Once they figure out how much he makes and they envision the possibilities they join his harem although they aren't aware of the others.
When I was single, I had trouble maintaining that concurrent routine with two women. I can't imagine surviving that with four at the same time.