Comparing used car deals?

Depending on where you live, AWD may be worth the extra. All of our vehicles are AWD or 4WD and we never worry about road conditions during the winter.

Two years ago, our youngest was going to graduate school in Wisconsin. We didn't think the car he was driving would survive the cross country trip, so we looked for a used car for him. Turned out most of the used cars in his price range were 2WD vehicles. We went to one dealership to look at what they had and the salesman pointed out that we could get a smaller new car for the same price. Unfortunately, it was too small to carry all his stuff. The salesman then checked his inventory and found a new 2013 SUV 4WD (2014 model had just come out), going on sale that weekend. It was $3,000 more than his budget, but we offered to help him with it. The just of it was he was able to drive during the winter while his roommates couldn't even get out of the driveway. Oh, and he had heated mirrors too.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for all this valuable input.

I am not even that into leather seats. The Acura was the only car we have owned with leather seats. Never had heated seats. The more expensive CR-V is AWD and that may be note-worthy.

In my area, a late model small SUV with AWD easily goes for $2-3K more than the same FWD model. Depending where you live, AWD can be a highly desirable option. I'd say you've got very equivalent deals if the $2K pricier model is AWD, the other stuff is icing. Would the AWD be useful may be the most pertinent question. Here in NW PA, absolutely (though I can get by without it, it would be nice safety margin). Only had 113 inches of snow last year, but 140+ year before.

In my recent car shopping, I've noted that the price differential between new and used is not very favorable for Honda, Toyota, or Subaru. And also not very favorable for small SUVs. These are in-demand vehicles and thus used pricing holds up well.

The real deals are in less high demand vehicles. But it is an expensive purchase so you need to get a vehicle that meets your needs & comfort, and that may very well be a small SUV. I've been looking at them also as I dislike the visibility and ingress/egress of most sedans (getting less flexible with age), live in snow country, and soon can no longer justify that I need my beloved minivans (well, may keep one around as a versatile work vehicle and retire the other two) (minivans got unpopular so I got fantastic deals on minivans from 2000 to 2013 but with the exit of so many companies from building them, not so much anymore).

Depending on where you live, AWD may be worth the extra. All of our vehicles are AWD or 4WD and we never worry about road conditions during the winter.

FWIW, all-wheel drive helps you get moving in snow. It doesn't help you stop. Good snow tires do that.

In my recent car shopping, I've noted that the price differential between new and used is not very favorable for Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.

Mazdas are often available at a discount to Hondas or Toyotas and IMO are every bit as reliable. We've had several and were very satisfied with them.

We were told recently by the dealer and confirmed by Costco tires that all wheel drive tires, if one gets an unrepairable flat in the sidewall, may all need to be replaced so the tread is the same. In hindsight I would have thought twice about all wheel drive for that reason. One flat in the wrong place can require a very expensive fix.

We were told recently by the dealer and confirmed by Costco tires that all wheel drive tires, if one gets an unrepairable flat in the sidewall, may all need to be replaced so the tread is the same. In hindsight I would have thought twice about all wheel drive for that reason. One flat in the wrong place can require a very expensive fix.

I think the above fits into the category of "old wive's tale" or a way to get you to buy many tires.

AWD is typically not engaged all the time you are driving. In trucks, it's generally engaged with a manual selector and in smaller vehicles, tied to the traction control system and only engages the non-drive axles when the computer senses the need. As long as you replace a tire with the same size, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for all this valuable input...............
I DID throw a fit yesterday about the processing fee. The sales manager said they'd take that off. I cannot wrap my head around paying a dealer to fill out the paperwork, lol.

Thanks again. Very appreciated advice. When we were at car dealership yesterday (and I am definitely scouring for private sales), I told them we had a birthday party to attend in 20 min. Did that speed things up? NO! The salesman commented that there would be jello-shots waiting for us. The birthday party was for an 80yo Baptist.

I hate car shopping.

Here is how I car shop. I test drive and decide what I want. I send an email to all dealers within a range (for me about 30 miles) and ask for an "out the door" price on the exact model, trim level and color(s) I would be willing to accept. I go to TrueCar and look at the histogram of actual prices paid for that car in my area. I take the lowest price, as a new car is essentially a commodity. I do not do any negotiation at the dealership - two dealership trips - one to test drive and one to pick it up. Sell your old car yourself though Craiglist, finance through a credit union if you need a loan.

If you can't do this you can get a guaranteed price through Costco, AAA, Consumer Reports or Truecar, but it will be a little higher than my method (middleman's profit).

Mazdas are often available at a discount to Hondas or Toyotas and IMO are every bit as reliable. We've had several and were very satisfied with them.
I'd go with Consumer a Reports reliability before anyone's personal experience. How does that match up?

And since the OP is looking at used small SUVs, the Tribute was a rebadged Ford Escape, so you might not want to consider all Mazdas equal. Now that Ford has mostly divested, Mazda has entered a new chapter with only a few years history.

Last edited:
I dream of having heated seats in a car some day! Not gonna happen anytime soon, but why on earth would the compass in the rearguard mirror matter? I have that now, and it seems kinda dumb.

My sister spilled the beans when she said her car had heated seats. At the time DW didn't know that cars could have that and I wasn't going to tell her....:D

My pickup has the "compass" in the mirror too. If it's gonna have a compass it should read in degrees, not N, NW, W, etc. Really not precise enough. It can be helpful if directions are to "go east on Rt. 18". It's either dark or overcast so... which way is east? Kinda academic with a GPS but they have been known to fail or be left at home.

Back
Top Bottom