Computer CD Tech Question

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm trying to figure out why some CDs that I make can't be read by the ancient computer that's connected to my piano. There's some randomness involved, but I've tentatively concluded that audio CDs that are filled to capacity with music generally can't be read.

Anyone heard of this? That is, problems reading CDs that are full?

cd's you write yourself on either xp or vista can be written in 2 modes. one of the modes can ony be read by another xp or vista machine. (thats the default) setting. the other mode can be read by any machine. you want to use the mastered format not the live format so your older machine can read it

Last edited:
There used to be a lot of variability in cd-rom drives as far as reading disks made in other drives, and dvd/cd combo writers can sometimes make disks that an old cd drive cant read.

Other than the physical readability, you might need to limit the disk to a 650GB old school format even though the media can do more.

Another question: I just bought an Acer laptop (Vista). I have Hughes Net sat. internet. The Acer eNet Management connects to the internet immediately, but it seems to go through a constant connect, disconnect series, almost as if it disconects when it's idle. This is a real bummer when I am trying to download shareware...or even do a post here. I also have Dell and HP laptops. Dell seems to be unaffected and the HP "talked" to the internet even when I wasn't on the internet (common with HPs). I'm still road testing the Acer and this is really annoying. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Another thought, my router is a Linksys and I had to have a Linksys notebook adapter (older laptop), the Netgear notebook adapter (even older) wouldn't connect to the router. I hope that's not the case with the Acer...it's card is internal.

you might need to limit the disk to a 650GB old school format even though the media can do more.

Right, that's my conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom