Join Early Retirement Today

Computer help needed
Old 06-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Computer help needed

My Vaio laptop HD is partitioned C: = 14G and D: = 26G. The 14G side is the active (operating system side). For some reason when you try to free up space by moving file over to the D: drive, the file move but the C: drive still says it's full.

I've tried, defrag, reboots, compression, but no luck.

One funny: Doing "Properties" on Documents and Settings say 5.2G but open it up and do "Properties on each folder and it total only 1.3G or so.

Anyone, any ideas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Computer help needed
Old 06-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #2

Have you done a Disk Cleanup? - Right Click on drive>Properties>Disk Cleanup

You are running XP?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

OAP,

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but when you copy a file from one disk to another, the original file remains intact on the disk you are copying it from. Unlike moving it from folder to folder on the same disk, you actually are duplicating the file from disk c: to disk d: (a partition acts just like a separate disk).

So, move it over and then delete it from the original location.

If that's not the problem, get a Mac.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
My Vaio laptop HD is partitioned C: = 14G and D: = 26G. The 14G side is the active (operating system side). For some reason when you try to free up space by moving file over to the D: drive, the file move but the C: drive still says it's full.
Your recycle bin isn't taking up a lot of space is it?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #5

C-T, yeah, done Disk Cleanup

Rich, no. After moving the files, I put the C drive ones in ReCycle Bin and emptied that.

Wander-A-Lot, no it's empty.

The clue is somehow related to Doc & Setting showing size of 5.2G and looking inside it, the folder only total 1.2G.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #6

You might try to see what files are being hidden.

Open the C drive. Select Tools in the menu bar.
Select Folder Options. Look at the check boxes and see what is checked or not to allow you to see (unhide) files. Once you unhide them you should be able to see why there is a difference.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #7

OAP,

If I had the thing in my hands, I could find it. But this long distance trouble shooting can make you look over the obvious.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
The clue is somehow related to Doc & Setting showing size of 5.2G and looking inside it, the folder only total 1.2G.
Maybe it's your swapfile? Try this:

Right click on My Computer, click on Properties, Advanced tab, then click on Settings under the Performance area and then click on the Advanced tab and finally, the Change button at the bottom. Here you can see where you page file is located (probably C) and have it moved to D.

EDIT: To be more clear, you can select the "No page file" option for C and select the "System Managed Size" for D
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

click start then run, in the box provided type 'chkdsk /f'. It'll say the disk is currently locked and ask if you would like it to run at the next reboot, say "yes", then reboot.

Are you SURE the C: and D: partitions are the sizes you reported? Its not unusual for a manufacturer these days to partition a small C or D drive to hold the operating system, reinstall software and XP cab files, etc. I'm not sure i've seen one partitioned that way from the factory before...

Other thing to try...go into internet exploder and clear the cache/delete all files. What are you using for email? What happened just before you ran out of space?

Other thing to try is look for /temp and windows/temp types of directories and delete their contents.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #10

WinDirStat is a very handy program. It's open-source and free and has no spyware (check this for yourself). Basically, it tells you which files and directories are taking up large amounts of disk space. Windows should include a feature like this, but they want you to give up and go out and buy a new PC!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
click start then run, in the box provided type 'chkdsk /f'.* It'll say the disk is currently locked and ask if you would like it to run at the next reboot, say "yes", then reboot.
Rather than starting a new thread, I am also looking for help running chkdsk on my external HDD (F drive) connected via USB to the PC. I know I have a partially corrupted file structure (NTFS) because access to some folders containing passive files is denied.

I cannot get chkdsk to run. It naturally will not start without doing a reboot, but nothing happens when I reboot (chkdsk doesn't run). Tried it using Start Run chkdsk F: /f and also by right clicking on the drive, Properties, Tools, etc, etc. Have had no responses to my question on either Msft forums or Dell forums.

Questions are: 1) Does anyone know how to lock the external HDD up to make chkdsk run on F without rebooting? 2) Is there an alternative software program out there that will do the same thing?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #12

CnFB,
Yeah, Sony Vaio laptop with 40 GB HD.

Kinda of sucky machine, thinking of ditching it.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it was on this site I saw the suggestion for CCleaner.com (crap-cleaner). Did wonders for my C drive.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #14

Each Friday I create a Restore Point, I restored back to last Friday's version and now things work OK.

With this Sony, it asks me if I want updates nearly everyday and after adding an HP printer, now I get HP udates.

Anybody know why you would need a Sony update?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #15

This thing has crashed twice this morning with blue screen suddenly appearing with lots of info that flashes by so fast it can't be read.

Need feedback:
1. Order an XPS from Dell for about $2000
2. Go to nearby Comp USA and buy what?
I'm tired of Sony, don't like HP/Compaq

I'm kinda leaning to the XPS 1210 Media model. Screen is only 12" but the thing is light and has a 256M ATI graphics.

Anyone see any super deals out there?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This thing has crashed twice this morning with blue screen suddenly appearing with lots of info that flashes by so fast it can't be read.

Need feedback:
I just bought a MacBook with the Intel processor, 1 gig memory, 80 gig hard drive, includes iChat camera, a TON of software, seems well made and rugged. $1350.

Runs almost anything most anyone would need for general use. In a pinch there are options for booting it up under windows but other than for work, I've yet to run into anything I couldn't do on the MacOS side. And almost invariably, the interface is more intuitive, simpler, and logical.

If you're open to that option, highly recommended.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #17

I have to admit my 3+ years old Dell Lattitude with W2K has been stellar. I have yet to do a complete reload of the OS although I think it is probably due, since I have installed and removed a lot of software during that time. I suspect the OS might be a little blotted by now.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #18

This laptop has been quirky from day 1 but it's really acting up now.

I think it needs a complete re-install of everything.

It's not a virus, i got Norton's lastest stuff and it runs every Tuesday and Friday morning.

Here's some quirks.
1. Close an IE window using the red-X and it wants to send MSFT and error message.
2. If you leave an IE window open and not used for couple of hours, its hung.
3. Suddenly the HD starts working like crazy and things slow to a grind.

Time for a new one and all the decisions.
Laptop vs tower
Brand
features

Oh well, it's only money. I'm considering a very small 12 laptop from Dell.

Anyone have one of those?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had good luck with toshibas. Office depot always seems to be clearancing something.

Return policy stinks though.

Costco and Sams Club always have a pretty good selection, and if you decide in a month or two or three or six that you dont really like it, or have problems, you can take it back and get a refund.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #20

OAP,

A complete reinstall may fix everything. I did it on my laptop recently and it got 2-3 times faster and didn't crash every 10 minutes. It even stopped overheating. I have no idea what the issue was, but after the reinstall, everything is extremely smooth. It really didn't take more than ~3 hours for everything, and half that is sitting there watching the install bar go from 0% to 100%.