Join Early Retirement Today

computer mouse
Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
computer mouse

I need to buy a computer mouse.

Any recommendations as to wired/wireless standard/optical?

Thanks
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Administrator

If you have an Apple, do not get the Mighty Mouse. I have replaced two of them because the mini-trackball got gummed up. You can use a regular two button mouse with scroll wheel on a Mac, which is what I have done. (the right click replaces the control click)
Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I need to buy a computer mouse.

Any recommendations as to wired/wireless standard/optical?

Thanks
I'm partial to the mice with wires (less trouble, no battery to replace, and how much trouble is a mouse cord, anyway?) and optical is better than "with balls" (nothing to get dirty and need cleaning, etc).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm currently using a Dell optical, wireless mouse (2-button with a scroll-wheel), and really like it. Have also used and liked Logitech's and Kensington's optical, wireless mice. I don't like being 'tethered' to my computer!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I like having a wire on my mouse, because I am clumsy and tend to drop them. The wire helps me to find and retrieve my mouse.

I just get whatever is cheapest. Right now I have an optical mouse (the smaller size that is usual for laptops) that cost $5 after a rebate, that I bought on sale at Office Depot a year or two ago. It is a Kensington, and not especially great; maybe it is wearing out since every now and then my laptop says it doesn't recognize the USB device (so I unplug and plug it back in, which solves the problem). At least it has a cord!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm slightly annoyed with the wireless mouse on our desktop machine. It was initially a little inaccurate and ate batteries. Until Logitech told me it doesnt work well on dark surfaces (our desk is black) and since then I've been pushing around a little white piece of paper on the desk for the mouse to sit on. Some day maybe i'll get a white mouse pad.

Roller ball. Wired. Clean the ball once a year. No problems. $5-10 on a bad day.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We use a Micro Innovations wireless optical four-button scroll-wheel mouse. (I like having the thumb button as an "Enter" key.) It uses Ni-MH batteries so when the mouse dies we pop it into its RC base as a recharger. And of course we keep the PC's crappy roller-ball mouse plugged in to use while the wireless is recharging (once a week, 4-5 hours).

Micro Innovations

It's hypothetically capable of using anything for a surface, including your leg, but it works best on a mouse pad (less dust & dirt pickup).

I have a wireless keyboard/mouse set in the closet but it uses "regular" batteries. It's either going to eat batteries or we'd have to keep a spare set of charged batteries on hand.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

i have a Targus PAWM10 that came with my laptop.

as you are aware, i have hand problems and this does not bother me too much to use it.

see Targus | Accessories | Mice and Pointers

good prices. local computer stores should stock them.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #9

Ever tried a track ball? I used a mouse for about 20 year and then one day tried a track ball and have been using them for the past 15 years or so. They sit still, have more buttons to program, are very accurate. Currently I am using a very cheap Logitech Marble Mouse. Only the ball and 4 buttons. I do have a mouse in the house along with another wireless one (and a wireless keyboard). I do not really like the wireless stuff and unless there is some very valid reason to use them I would go tethered all of the time. However, Blue Tooth seems to work better than the IR things.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a logitec MX1000. Wireless, and I can use it for like 14 straight hour before it goes dead. Feels great, and great for games.

It cost a tad more then some other mouses, but considering those other mouses break constantly a good investment imo.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Ever tried a track ball?
De rigeur on warships, and I'm still occupationally-allergic to them.

They do eliminate a lot of mouse-related problems.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
I need something to replace a mouse
Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #12

I need something to replace a mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
They do eliminate a lot of mouse-related problems.
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but since we're talking about mice-related problems...

I am starting to develop what I think may be an arthritic joint. It's the joint closest to the nail on my index finger, right hand.

I have spent way too many hours on this site and many others, so that joint has gotten a lot of use from scrolling and clicking on a mouse.

At times, I try and use my middle finger ipo index finger, but I don't want to create the same joint issue in the adjacent finger.

My computer is a desktop PC.

The one time I was in an Apple store and tried surfing the net on one of their computers, I was impressed at how 'sensitive' their mouse was. IIRC it had what looked like a small steel ball bearing ipo the PC's scroll wheel and a small input was all that was required achieve a lot of screen movement, as compared to what feels like endless scrolling on the PC mouse.

I'm looking for suggestions to help alleviate my ergonomic issue (besides spending less time surfing.)

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but since we're talking about mice-related problems...

I am starting to develop what I think may be an arthritic joint. It's the joint closest to the nail on my index finger, right hand.

I have spent way too many hours on this site and many others, so that joint has gotten a lot of use from scrolling and clicking on a mouse.

At times, I try and use my middle finger ipo index finger, but I don't want to create the same joint issue in the adjacent finger.

My computer is a desktop PC.

The one time I was in an Apple store and tried surfing the net on one of their computers, I was impressed at how 'sensitive' their mouse was. IIRC it had what looked like a small steel ball bearing ipo the PC's scroll wheel and a small input was all that was required achieve a lot of screen movement, as compared to what feels like endless scrolling on the PC mouse.

I'm looking for suggestions to help alleviate my ergonomic issue (besides spending less time surfing.)

omni
That sounds like a painful problem, and one that I have never had (thank goodness). I was thinking about it when I looked at the touchpad that is built into my laptop. I am not sure, but a laptop with touchpad could be just what you need. All you have to do is lightly stroke the touchpad, and the buttons are operated with your thumb.

On the other hand, you already have a desktop so maybe this wasn't the most economical idea. My laptop cost $550 new, but you could probably get a used one for much less. That's still more than a mouse would cost.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

Just to check, have you tried adjusting the mouse sensitivity/acceleration settings in your operating system (in the Control Panel if you're using some version of Windows)? Not sure if some mouse drivers allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the scroll wheel seperately, but it's worth a look.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That sounds like a painful problem, and one that I have never had (thank goodness). I was thinking about it when I looked at the touchpad that is built into my laptop. I am not sure, but a laptop with touchpad could be just what you need. All you have to do is lightly stroke the touchpad, and the buttons are operated with your thumb.

On the other hand, you already have a desktop so maybe this wasn't the most economical idea. My laptop cost $550 new, but you could probably get a used one for much less. That's still more than a mouse would cost.
A laptop would be something to consider. I was hoping to get something that would work on my desktop.

Hmmmm....does anyone know if I could just buy an 'aftermarket' touchpad that I could plug into my desktop? Do they make such a thing?

omni
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
Just to check, have you tried adjusting the mouse sensitivity/acceleration settings in your operating system (in the Control Panel if you're using some version of Windows)? Not sure if some mouse drivers allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the scroll wheel seperately, but it's worth a look.
Thanks, I was unaware of these settings.

I just tried changing the scroll wheel settings, and restarting the computer. So far, I haven't really noticed a big change.

omni
Old 03-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Omni - touchpads, pads that use a pen, and trackballs of varying sizes make a lot of difference. Some mice and pads allow 'gestures' where you can place a finger on them and brush in a direction at a certain speed and then take your finger off the pad, and it'll keep scrolling the window at a rate commensurate with your gesture.

You might try downloading and installing the latest mouse s/w for your particular mouse, might give you more control. Most of the ones i use allow you to change parameters and then test them in a little test box below the settings in the control panel...you shouldnt have to reboot anything.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You might try downloading and installing the latest mouse s/w for your particular mouse, might give you more control. Most of the ones i use allow you to change parameters and then test them in a little test box below the settings in the control panel...you shouldnt have to reboot anything.
I just did a search for the latest drivers for my mouse (which came bundled with my eMachines computer about 3-4 years ago). All I found were old links to forums where other people were looking for the drivers, too. None seemed successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Omni - touchpads, pads that use a pen, and trackballs of varying sizes make a lot of difference. Some mice and pads allow 'gestures' where you can place a finger on them and brush in a direction at a certain speed and then take your finger off the pad, and it'll keep scrolling the window at a rate commensurate with your gesture.

These sound interesting. Where could I try (before buying) some of these out?

omni
Assistive Technology Ergonomics
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Assistive Technology Ergonomics

do a web search on "assitive technology ergonomics" and look at alternative keyboards and mice and pointing devices.

here's an example...
Adaptive ergonomic handheld joystick joysticks mouse mice trackball trackballs touch screens pointing - Infogrip, Inc.

i use a touch keyboard (no keys to depress) named Touchstream, made by a defunct company called Fingerworks. i touch keys lightly instead of depressing them. see FingerWorks i have the Touchstream LP shown at the bottom of the page.

Mouse simulation - the right side is a 4" x 5" tracing surface as well as the right side key set of the keyboard. with index and middle finger, i have mousing tracking and single click and dbl click, just by tapping my fingers in a certain sequence. you might be able to find a used one on ebay or craigslist. it is a cool device.

i've used stylus and graphics tablets in the past for mouse ops only. loved them. try www.wacom.com

if anyone finds some better ones, please post and if you don't mind, please PM the link to me. i like to keep up on this stuff for personal needs and i'm kind of a local expert on assistive technology where i live.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
do a web search on "assitive technology ergonomics" and look at alternative keyboards and mice and pointing devices.

here's an example...
Adaptive ergonomic handheld joystick joysticks mouse mice trackball trackballs touch screens pointing - Infogrip, Inc.

i use a touch keyboard (no keys to depress) named Touchstream, made by a defunct company called Fingerworks. i touch keys lightly instead of depressing them. see FingerWorks i have the Touchstream LP shown at the bottom of the page.

Mouse simulation - the right side is a 4" x 5" tracing surface as well as the right side key set of the keyboard. with index and middle finger, i have mousing tracking and single click and dbl click, just by tapping my fingers in a certain sequence. you might be able to find a used one on ebay or craigslist. it is a cool device.

i've used stylus and graphics tablets in the past for mouse ops only. loved them. try www.wacom.com

if anyone finds some better ones, please post and if you don't mind, please PM the link to me. i like to keep up on this stuff for personal needs and i'm kind of a local expert on assistive technology where i live.
Hey, thanks. Now I know how to search for this stuff and know that there are products out there.

omni