iTunes
Dell CinePlayer
Musicmatch Jukebox
QuickTime
RealPlayer
Rhapsody Player Engine
Windows Media Player 11
----------------------------------
Any suggestions on which to delete and which to keep?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:14 PM   #2

Since I have an iPod, I got rid of the Dell stuff on mine. I think that I got rid of the Musicmatch Jukebox too. I kept both QT, RealPlayer and WMP for videos. Don't recognize the Rhapsody Player Engine.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends. What sort of music stuff do you do/listen to/accessories like mp3 players?

Why does anything need to go...out of disk space?

You could probably unload most of it. WMP, Quicktime and Realplayer include some tidbits that let you play web media content encoded in each of their formats. Each also includes a player tool that can use all the other 'codecs' to play the content...for example WMP can use the quicktime codec to play quicktime content within windows media player.

Of course, all of them want to bonk each other on the head and be "the" media player on your system. Sometimes politely. Sometimes not so politely.

Itunes is more or less essential if you have an ipod, perhaps less so if you dont. Musicmatch jukebox may be essential if you have a non-apple mp3 player, since it and WMP might be the only ways to transfer songs to it.

You'll need cineplayer to play dvd's, although WMP will probably play one with the cineplayer dvd codecs.

Rhapsody is a music playing service. I've used it on comcast and its free through them, allows me to play music "channels" of music I dont own by genre or artist. I can buy songs or albums through it but I havent. Not something I'd use if it wasnt free.

Problem here is that if you remove something, you might lose its associated codecs and/or some other important tidbit that you need but dont know you need, and it'll take you three days to figure out what happened and recover from the problem.

Oh yes, and since its been awhile...

KKKKHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Depends. What sort of music stuff do you do/listen to/accessories like mp3 players?
I listen to streaming radio or AIM music or Yahoo music or Pandora or my few CDs. Often I don't listen to anything. No accessories.

Quote:
Why does anything need to go...out of disk space?
I was worried that having all of them might cause problems by competing.

Quote:
You could probably unload most of it. WMP, Quicktime and Realplayer include some tidbits that let you play web media content encoded in each of their formats. Each also includes a player tool that can use all the other 'codecs' to play the content...for example WMP can use the quicktime codec to play quicktime content within windows media player.

Of course, all of them want to bonk each other on the head and be "the" media player on your system. Sometimes politely. Sometimes not so politely.
I was worried that might cause problems.

Quote:
Itunes is more or less essential if you have an ipod, perhaps less so if you dont. Musicmatch jukebox may be essential if you have a non-apple mp3 player, since it and WMP might be the only ways to transfer songs to it.

You'll need cineplayer to play dvd's, although WMP will probably play one with the cineplayer dvd codecs.

Rhapsody is a music playing service. I've used it on comcast and its free through them, allows me to play music "channels" of music I dont own by genre or artist. I can buy songs or albums through it but I havent. Not something I'd use if it wasnt free.

Problem here is that if you remove something, you might lose its associated codecs and/or some other important tidbit that you need but dont know you need, and it'll take you three days to figure out what happened and recover from the problem.
I'll leave them all for now.

Quote:
Oh yes, and since its been awhile...

KKKKHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!
"Let them eat static."
Old 11-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Generally they wont whomp each other on the head too much. If one comes up and says "I notice that I am not the dominant player...would you like to change that?" or asks you any questions about re-registering file extensions, look in that programs 'options' section and you should find a checkbox for "check to see if I am the default player on startup" or some such. Uncheck that to make it stop.

I wouldnt fiddle around with the uninstalls unless you had to. I've screwed up some codecs on occasion and had to hunt down and reinstall compatible versions. Wasnt a good use of my time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Musicmatch Jukebox for my playlist, but MediaPlayer Classic as my default player for
all video and music files. This keeps my playlist from getting messed up when I just want to
listen to individual mp3s. MediaPlayer Classic also loads almost instantly.