Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Computer password file keeper
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Computer password file keeper

I am going crazy with trying to keep track of 50,000,000 passwords on line. I did download a program (have to look up name of it) but find it is not that user friendly and have not mastered it's use.

Any of you use one of these, and iF so which one. Also how does it work. IS IT SIMPLE?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Keypass, is free, and is suppose to be good. I have used Roboform, the free version limits the number of passwords, It works well with FireFox. I have also used KeyFox. It works well also and is free.

Best, IMHO, is Roboform.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Administrator

I use roboform for all passwords except financial stuff. Very helpful. Actually, it is roboform2go on a flash drive that I can take from one computer to another. Works well, no complaints. Just can't convince myself to use it for banks/brokerage accounts - a bit of paranoia, I guess.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I use keepass. Works well.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I use password safe

Password Safe
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
I use password safe

Password Safe
I also use Password safe and keep it current across computers with Dropbox. It works fine and is free.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #7

1Password.
I've been using it since it first came out, and I love it.
https://agilewebsolutions.com/
Old 09-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another vote for Password Safe. Then I use Smart Sync Pro to sychronize the password databases between computers.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Some programs can sync with your PDA or smartphone. That means you have your passwords handy wherever you are.

I have used Secret and Turbopasswords on PalmOS PDA's.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the responses. I will check some of them out. Just curious. If you won't use them for your financial institutions, where do you keep these. In your head? On a piece of paper, where?

When I think about it though, I don't mind using a similar password with a few variations for all the non financial web sites I frequent, which is always different than anything I use for financial. Someone getting my password say to this forum is not going to cause me much harm. So, it's all the different financial ones I have trouble with as they are more complex and varied. Although their all a pain in the butt to keep track of.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Administrator

An article by PCMag on passwork keepers Password Protection: Password Recovery and Control Tools | PCMag.com

They like LassPass and Roboforms Pro. They discuss functionality but not security.

The differences between the free versions of these products are likely falling and they are very helpful.

I don't trust any product for my financial accounts. An irrational fear perhaps but I'm not going to change anytime soon.

Quote:
If you won't use them for your financial institutions, where do you keep these
In my mind, and if I lose that the family is SOL.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will check some of them out. Just curious. If you won't use them for your financial institutions, where do you keep these. In your head? On a piece of paper, where?

When I think about it though, I don't mind using a similar password with a few variations for all the non financial web sites I frequent, which is always different than anything I use for financial. ...
Although I've been dragging my feet on this, going forward I plan to use one simple PW for anything I have no security issues about (like signing into newspapers, etc).

For financial, or other more secure stuff, I'm just going to write them on a piece of paper, maybe throw in a couple characters that I KNOW are to be skipped over for added safety, and make some reference obvious only to me as to what site they are for ( 'B' for the Blue Credit card, etc).

I hardly ever use an ATM, so the PIN for my debit card is four digits buried in a fake phone number on my paper phone list in my wallet.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I use Acerose Password Vault -- free and simple. Note that in this situation, you might not want to use the app that is popular. That's the one the hackers will figure out how to break.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There was a news article stating that passwords are not that important. The most important thing is to keep key logging programs off your computer.
As to passwords - I'd suggest something easy to change and remember.
For example: Russel50 - then just change the spelling or the number when you want a new password e.g. Bussel50 or Cussel50 or Russel51.
Use a different password for financial institutions an another for all other needs.

Also, don't bookmark your financial sites and delete cookies and browsing history often.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Used to use Password Safe. But switched over to Any Password. Happy with Any Password.