Join Early Retirement Today

COmputer question............
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

COmputer question............

My late sister had a guy build her a custom computer before she died. She also bought a 21 inch Sony monitor, subwoofer and Klipsch speakers, etc.

I want to load Windows on it (XP), and transfer all my stuff on my Dell onto it (desktop). My BIL is a computer geek but doesn't think the data transfer will go smoothly, since I don't back up my hard drive hardly ever.

Why can't I hook up the "new" CPU to the "old CPU and directly transfer all the data, programs, forever. Or is this a big cluster I am attempting??

Thanks..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

This is easy! Use a cat 5 cable and its very easy. Connect both computer to each other and transfer away. There is also a program that you can use but I forgot what its called if I remember I will let you know.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ghost?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I don't see why you can't just connect the two with a network cable and transfer your stuff. If connecting directly between the two machines without a router in between, make sure you use a crossover cable or crossover adapter (should be a few bucks). It shouldn't have anything to do with how often you back up your hard drive...

What do you mean by a "custom computer" though? What operating system is it currently running? If the hardware isn't mainstream, you might have to download some extra drivers from vendors' web sites, but probably won't be a big deal.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #5

The other one is Acronis True Image
Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Why can't I hook up the "new" CPU to the "old CPU and directly transfer all the data, programs, forever. Or is this a big cluster I am attempting??
It's a cluster. A really big one.

Do you want this board's experts to argue with your BIL about why PCs can't be more like we want them to be, or do you want to have a computer working the way you think it should work?

If you want kvetching and an argument then, as you know from experience, you've come to the right place.

If you want to learn more about how to do the work then perhaps your BIL is the right guy to give you the hands-on tutoring. It's almost certainly the right price.

Or if you just want to get it done without having to devote a lot of time & effort to gaining all the necessary knowledge and dirty hands, then hire a computer service to do it for you.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #7

Transferring is the easy part. Getting stuff to work after the transfer is the impossible part.

Windows is a mess. Some stuff goes in the registry. Some stuff is installed as drivers. Various DLL version dependencies. Ugh. I don't even like to think about cloning systems when the hardware differs.

Good luck, though!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Transferring is the easy part. Getting stuff to work after the transfer is the impossible part.

Windows is a mess. Some stuff goes in the registry. Some stuff is installed as drivers. Various DLL version dependencies. Ugh. I don't even like to think about cloning systems when the hardware differs.

Good luck, though!
Yeah that. It'll never work.

We do full backups of our hard drives at work. I"ve had a couple of hard drive failures. They tell me to transfer the data part, mostly what's in My Documents, and to reinstall the programs from CDs/downloads/wherever I got them from. I asked once about trying to transfer a program because we no longer had a license to install it on new machines, and the IT guy said Can't be done.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The only way to transfer everything so that it works on the new one just as it did on the old one is with one of the hard drive imaging programs mentioned above. If you do that, everything will be as it was on the original computer, and I mean everything, including any problems and issues. The best way is to reinstall all the programs, and transfer only the data. It won't be fun....
Puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
What do you mean by a "custom computer" though? What operating system is it currently running? If the hardware isn't mainstream, you might have to download some extra drivers from vendors' web sites, but probably won't be a big deal.
It was built by a guy she knows. It doesn't have Windows on it,since she was only going to use it for work on the University's network. However, if I want to use it for home use, I need Windows, as all the programs I have are Windows-based.

Sounds like a cluster, maybe I'll hire a computer geek to do it for me........

Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sounds like a cluster, maybe I'll hire a computer geek to do it for me........
Hmm.... get a quote first.

Consider that you can buy a really dandy new, fast, loaded with software PC for for around $600.00 (assuming that you keep your old peripherals). If you have to pay a couple hundred bucks to a pro, buy cables, parts or software to rehab a used PC the cost vs. benefit equation may render an unfavorable result.

Donate the PC you inherited to a school that is already networked, take the deduction, make a kid smile. Just saying......
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Hmm.... get a quote first.

Consider that you can buy a really dandy new, fast, loaded with software PC for for around $600.00 (assuming that you keep your old peripherals). If you have to pay a couple hundred bucks to a pro, buy cables, parts or software to rehab a used PC the cost vs. benefit equation may render an unfavorable result.

Donate the PC you inherited to a school that is already networked, take the deduction, make a kid smile. Just saying......
I have everything but the Cat 5 cable. She paid the guy $3000, I am assuming she got taken but according to my BIL it's a killer system.........

So, I may pay $200 or so, but I got everything for free, so why not?

I have another computer I am donating to a day care in my city........

Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Doing an image will be a huge cluster----. Windows wont run because it was activated on the old platform and when it sees the new hardware it'll stop and make you call microsoft and explain to them why the old license has been moved to the new platform, and what you're doing with the old platform. After a while you'll probably be allowed to change the windows key on the new machine but only if it has one. You said there wasnt any windows product loaded on it before, so I presume theres no key.

Next, all the drivers will be wrong and you'll have to remove all the old devices and have windows look for new ones, supply driver disks or downloads for all the stuff in the 'new' box.

Next, you'll have to reinstall all of your applications. There arent many products that can lift apps and settings from one machine and carry them over to another intact.

Next you'll have to root out all your files and settings and copy those over. Windows Files and Settings Wizard can do a lot of that but I wouldnt bet on it getting everything.

Solution:

Wipe the "new" machine. Obtain a new windows key for it. Install windows. When it quacks for a driver for something, go make a cd on your other machine and insert it. When thats done, install all your applications. When thats done, use windows file and transfer wizard to copy your settings and files to an external hard drive or burned dvds and use the files and settings wizard on the "new" machine to put them back. If you've got gigabytes of files and settings you do NOT want to use a cat5 network connection to transfer them, it'll take hours and hours and hours.

Then keep the old machine or put the old machines hard drive into an HD enclosure and retain it for the time six months from now when you go looking for a file and discover that the wizard didnt copy that directory or files.

On the new machine, unless its a 3GHz quad core extreme edition machine with 8GB of ram, a terrabyte of raid 5 disk and has latest generation dual SLI video cards, it wasnt worth 3000.

At this point you can buy a desktop from the dell outlet for under $400 thats probably more computer than 98% of people really need, it'll already come with windows installed, and it'll have a fresh warranty.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'd need a little more information to understand whats going on, but a FIOS install usually involves running the fiber to a box on the outside of the house and attaching the existing twisted pair in the house to the FIOS box. Unless you ordered a fiber drop inside the house for an internet connection, or they're prewiring your entire building (if its a building) for fiber.

Big expense for the landlord to pick up or a curious move by verizon if they dont have a bunch of FIOS subscribers in the building.

I guess the one good thing I can say is that FIOS internet is really, really fast.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Doing an image will be a huge cluster----. Windows wont run because it was activated on the old platform and when it sees the new hardware it'll stop and make you call microsoft and explain to them why the old license has been moved to the new platform, and what you're doing with the old platform. After a while you'll probably be allowed to change the windows key on the new machine but only if it has one. You said there wasnt any windows product loaded on it before, so I presume theres no key.

Next, all the drivers will be wrong and you'll have to remove all the old devices and have windows look for new ones, supply driver disks or downloads for all the stuff in the 'new' box.

Next, you'll have to reinstall all of your applications. There arent many products that can lift apps and settings from one machine and carry them over to another intact.

Next you'll have to root out all your files and settings and copy those over. Windows Files and Settings Wizard can do a lot of that but I wouldnt bet on it getting everything.

Solution:

Wipe the "new" machine. Obtain a new windows key for it. Install windows. When it quacks for a driver for something, go make a cd on your other machine and insert it. When thats done, install all your applications. When thats done, use windows file and transfer wizard to copy your settings and files to an external hard drive or burned dvds and use the files and settings wizard on the "new" machine to put them back. If you've got gigabytes of files and settings you do NOT want to use a cat5 network connection to transfer them, it'll take hours and hours and hours.

Then keep the old machine or put the old machines hard drive into an HD enclosure and retain it for the time six months from now when you go looking for a file and discover that the wizard didnt copy that directory or files.

On the new machine, unless its a 3GHz quad core extreme edition machine with 8GB of ram, a terrabyte of raid 5 disk and has latest generation dual SLI video cards, it wasnt worth 3000.

At this point you can buy a desktop from the dell outlet for under $400 thats probably more computer than 98% of people really need, it'll already come with windows installed, and it'll have a fresh warranty.
What a pain the arse............ Could I just buy XP for the "new computer", and let me kid use that. Plug in the "smaller" (19) monitor for him to use, and leave it at that?

He has some PC games he likes to play, so I could let him have fun with the subwoofer and Klipsch high out put speakers. I am sure the 21 inch Sony would look nice as I am getting older and the eyesight is waning.............

Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

You can buy XP for the new machine, but that'll cost you around a hundred bucks unless you buy an "OEM" version thats bundled with a piece of hardware. Some...umm..."smaller" companies will bundle the OEM version with a $5 piece of hardware and sell it to you cheaply, even though its supposed to be bundled with a whole new computer.

You'll still need to do the "driver hunt" for all the parts.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can buy XP for the new machine, but that'll cost you around a hundred bucks unless you buy an "OEM" version thats bundled with a piece of hardware. Some...umm..."smaller" companies will bundle the OEM version with a $5 piece of hardware and sell it to you cheaply, even though its supposed to be bundled with a whole new computer.
Are these two computers both desktops? What about moving the hard drive to the "new" computer as a secondary drive, then buying a new hd with bundled XP for the "old" one?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You'll still need to do the "driver hunt" for all the parts.
Thanks for the help...........I decided I'm not screwing around with all the data transfer stuff, so I'll buy the XP and load it on the new computer, and go on my merry way........

Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are these two computers both desktops? What about moving the hard drive to the "new" computer as a secondary drive, then buying a new hd with bundled XP for the "old" one?
That's what I was going to suggest. I've done that numerous times, that way ALL of your old files are right where they were, and are now still accessible.

Though I've not tried it with XP, I've also just swapped out the primary hard drive from one machine to another. It would whimpers for a few new drivers, but it was fairly painless, and I was back up & running pretty quickly.

I even have one that has 3 hard drives, each with a different operating system on it. I mounted a push-button selector switch on the front of the box (similar to the old car radio push-button station selectors) to choose which OS to boot. The other 2 hard drives then become secondaries, and can be accessed for files.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Though I've not tried it with XP, I've also just swapped out the primary hard drive from one machine to another. It would whimpers for a few new drivers, but it was fairly painless, and I was back up & running pretty quickly.
That's not likely to work with XP. When XP installs, it builds an inventory of the hardware profile for the machine on the drive. I think this is part of the genuine advantage licensing issue mentioned in other posts. If you try to put the hard drive into another machine that doesn't match the inventory profile, it won't boot up. Been there.... tried that.
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote