Join Early Retirement Today

Computer question..........
Old 10-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Computer question..........

For some reason today, I have to log on to this site and any other site I frequent after I have exited out of Firefox.(red x) I have never had to do this except when I have manually cleared history. I check the remember me box when logging on to each site, but no site does today.

Any idea why this has started? I rebooted my pc just to see if something needed clearing out but I still have to log on to each site.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Funny you mention an issue with Firefox today. DW and I had both our firefox block Microsoft Net framework today. Something about a vulnerability in the code. Doesn't help you but makes me wonder.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Do you see your passwords and usernames listed in the Tools>options>Security>Saved Passwords list? Is the list empty? I had this problem and I had fixed it.....It was corrputed Firefox files. I will look at my notes if that is your problem also. It helps to know the exact version of FF you are using. Mine was a couple of builds ago.
Mike1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1968 View Post
Do you see your passwords and usernames listed in the Tools>options>Security>Saved Passwords list? Is the list empty? I had this problem and I had fixed it.....It was corrputed Firefox files. I will look at my notes if that is your problem also. It helps to know the exact version of FF you are using. Mine was a couple of builds ago.
Yes they are all there. I'm using 3.5.3. I wonder if updating Firefox would help?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps some security setting has been changed, or some other application is deciding it should block cookies?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Two things come to mind for me:

1. That you may have used a "clean-up" function -- Properties>Clean Up.

2. That you are running out of disk space and Windows is deleting the oldest Cookies, as you make new ones, to compensate. (Doesn't sound like a saved Password problem but you never know.)

(Recognize that I use IE and have no experience with Firefox so YMMV.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Funny you mention an issue with Firefox today. DW and I had both our firefox block Microsoft Net framework today. Something about a vulnerability in the code.
Same here.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Funny you mention an issue with Firefox today. DW and I had both our firefox block Microsoft Net framework today. Something about a vulnerability in the code. Doesn't help you but makes me wonder.
Me too - so I hit google and low and behold....Security Fix - Mozilla Disables Microsoft's Insecure Firefox Add-on
Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well I downloaded the latest edition of FF, but that didn't do any good. I looked at the security settings but didn't see anything odd there. I guess I'm doomed to having to log on every site from now on using this computer. Kind of a pain in the a$$. Oh well, maybe the weather will get back to normal one day and I can play golf again leaving the laptop shut.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Since I don't know anything other than you are using Firefox, I still believe it is a Cookies problem so Let me google that for you

I briefly glanced at those results and it looks a little involved but it may give you direction.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Since I don't know anything other than you are using Firefox, I still believe it is a Cookies problem so Let me google that for you

I briefly glanced at those results and it looks a little involved but it may give you direction.
Thanks. But looking at a couple of the tips, looks like my cookie settings are OK. But I'm not very computer savvy. I guess one thing I can do is not close my browser during the day, only at night. That way I only have to log on to all the sites once a day.

Dumb question, would a system restore help a situation like this? Last thing I want to do is compound my problem.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dawg,

Please Clarify a little...When you initially bring up a webpage that has a username/password such as early-retirement.org, the usename and password fields are blank? If so, I have had this problem since who knows when. What I do, is as the page is loading, I click in the username field and FF will then fill in my username and passwords and All I have to do is click Login.
Mike1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Dumb question, would a system restore help a situation like this? Last thing I want to do is compound my problem.
Not a dumb question at all. The "Sytem Restore" is actually a pretty safe function -- since it is reversible --and you have no need to fear using it. (Make backups first though ) The problem will probably be that ship has already sailed. Two things will be required:

1. That you know exactly when the problem occurred.
2. That you have set aside enough disk space to store "restore points" earlier than that time.

You could start System Restore and reset it to the earliest date/time and cross your fingers, however.

In any event, that would not tell you how the error occured in the first place. That is what you want to know so it doesn't happen again.

Now, my "dumb" question: I don't remember but is there a check box during the login process that says something like "Remember me on this computer"?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Life is too short to have to log in manually.

Can you run a copy of Internet Explorer and try that to rule out a Firefox issue?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

You could post to Mozilla's support site. Here is a similar question: All history and cookies lost on Forefox startup

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1968 View Post
Dawg,

Please Clarify a little...When you initially bring up a webpage that has a username/password such as early-retirement.org, the usename and password fields are blank? If so, I have had this problem since who knows when. What I do, is as the page is loading, I click in the username field and FF will then fill in my username and passwords and All I have to do is click Login.
this site does not remember my user name but does remember the password after I have entered the user name. Other sites do not remember the password either.

Quote:
Not a dumb question at all. The "Sytem Restore" is actually a pretty safe function -- since it is reversible --and you have no need to fear using it. (Make backups first though ) The problem will probably be that ship has already sailed. Two things will be required:

1. That you know exactly when the problem occurred.
2. That you have set aside enough disk space to store "restore points" earlier than that time.

You could start System Restore and reset it to the earliest date/time and cross your fingers, however.

In any event, that would not tell you how the error occured in the first place. That is what you want to know so it doesn't happen again.

Now, my "dumb" question: I don't remember but is there a check box during the login process that says something like "Remember me on this computer"?
The problem happened yesterday at some point. Not sure what time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Can you run a copy of Internet Explorer and try that to rule out a Firefox issue?
I just tried under IE and it does the same so must be something corrupt on my pc.

Maybe a system restore from a couple of days ago would be good, if I can figure out how to do that.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe a system restore from a couple of days ago would be good, if I can figure out how to do that.
Again, I don't have enough data but in Windows Vista (It would be very simialr in Windows XP), you would:

Click "Start."
Click on "Control Panel"
Click on "Backup Your Computer"
Click on "Restore your computer using System Restore."
(Click on "Continue" if required.)
Click on "System Restore"
Click "Next."
Pick one of the available "Restore Points" and follow the instructions.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Again, I don't have enough data but in Windows Vista (It would be very simialr in Windows XP), you would:

Click "Start."
Click on "Control Panel"
Click on "Backup Your Computer"
Click on "Restore your computer using System Restore."
(Click on "Continue" if required.)
Click on "System Restore"
Click "Next."
Pick one of the available "Restore Points" and follow the instructions.
I have XP. I restored to Friday, which was a good day, but the system acted very weird. I couldn't even log on to this site, the little hour glass just came up and wouldn't let me do anything. So I restored back to today. At least I can operate even though a little inconvenient. I will just leave my browser up during the day so I don't have to log on to every site through out the day.

Thanks for your help, I just don't know enough about this crap.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for your help, I just don't know enough about this crap.
Yeah, sounds like you need someone hands-on. Sorry.

When you did get it cured, let us know. I will add it to my knowledge pool.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is a great little program that I have installed on many many computers and it works wonders.
CCleaner - Download
Click on the url filehippo.com and when you open that page click on the upper right of page that says download latest version Latest Version
CCleaner 2.24.1010
You will have to click the yellow bar at the top of your browser if you are using internet explorer and then click download file. You will see this
Thank you. Your download will start automatically.
If not then click here
! Do not download the fix errors in your registry ! It should start automatically, if not then click where it said (if not then click here) again, do not click anything but the cleaner program.
Once you get it downloaded and you start to install it then uncheck all the extras except create a shortcut on your desktop
You will then have the little red icon from ccleaner.
Now click on it and click RUN CLEANER

It will take a while to clean up the left over junk files. When it finishes then log back in to this site. Now open ccleaner again and this time click options, then cookies
and you will see two boxes, one will say cookies to delete and the other cookies to keep. Move anything relating to early-retirement.org to the box on the right (cookies to keep) using the small arrows. Exit that program and you should now be able to log back in here without typing the user name and password.
I have been working on computers for 10 years and this program is one of the best free ones on the net. old trig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote