Join Early Retirement Today

Computer virus protection: Avast w/ Defender?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Computer virus protection: Avast w/ Defender?

My friend says it is too much to use both Avast and Windows Defender as virus protection on the computer at the same time. I have no clue at all if it is or isn't, so am asking you computer gurus out there if this is true or not? It doesn't "seem" to be jamming my computer at all, but he says it might crash it. Help!!! (Someday I reeealllly have to take a computer course...)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No worries. Windows defender doesnt do much in the way of virus protection. Its mostly spyware/browser protection.

Windows defender is a default product that runs under windows vista, so technically every vista user that is running an antivirus program is running both.

While its possible for two programs to get into a little tiff and take it out on your performance or stability, I'd suspect that the Avast folks would quickly resolve any incompatibilities with Defender unless of course they'd rather not be used on any vista machines and many XP machines.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #3

And thanks to you, cute fuzzy bunny! What would folks like me do without a computer guru like you I wonder? Again, thanks!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's actually a good idea to use more than one AV program, especially if you tend to visit some of the more "questionable" areas of the web. I agree that Defender doesn't do much. I use Avast as well as AVG, both free. I also recommend using Spyware and Adware programs (I use Spybot and AdAware). But I'm a bit obsessive on the subject.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
No worries. Windows defender doesnt do much in the way of virus protection. Its mostly spyware/browser protection.

Windows defender is a default product that runs under windows vista, so technically every vista user that is running an anti virus program is running both.

While its possible for two programs to get into a little tiff and take it out on your performance or stability, I'd suspect that the Avast folks would quickly resolve any incompatibilities with Defender unless of course they'd rather not be used on any vista machines and many XP machines.
I agree with CFB however, I am running Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Suite 14 on my Desktop and (Vista) Windows Defender is not running (according to Windows VISTA WD applet). Optionally, I can allow Windows Defender to run IF the built in PC-cillin IS firewall is disabled (thus allowing WD to run).

However, on the Notebook I am running AVAST and Windows Defender IS running. AVAST will not interfere with Windows Defender (to my knowledge and experience, to date) and it is probably good to just leave it alone.

I doubt it really is a "good" thing to run two AV programs at the same time. I have read on several occasions that you are sacrificing resources to the redundancy of both programs and eventually one will probably interfere with the other which may or may not cause unexplained problems to the OS. For that reasoning I would not run two AV programs. However, I cannot prove it one way or the other - so take that information with a grain of salt.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #6

Yeah..that is exactly what I heard, also, OAG.
OAG: How great that you put your "Proud Vietnam Veteran" info on your posts. I like that idea, but I'm a big military booster/respecter myself.