Computers - Planning My Next Build

I still have 4 of those Pentium Pro CPUs, but they are still installed in their PCs. They are stacked up in the garage.

I need to do an inventory of the PCs that I have built over the years, starting from a 386SX CPU. It's more than 15. Prior to that was a PCXT, but it was bought off the shelf. I have lost only one CPU and board, an AMD Duron.

The CPUs that I fried were also Durons. I didn't have the heat sink seated properly and next thing once turned on the power, a cloud of smoke and burnt smell ... oops! :(

Last edited:
When DS first turned his computer on, it started up nice and quiet. Then five seconds later, it shut down. Then it started again, then off again. We all were really tired, so we slept on it. Typical me, I surfed the internet and found the possible causes. So did DS. Turned out the RAM was not seated exactly right on the motherboard. He fixed it, and it's been a dream machine since then. It has a solid state drive and a hard drive. The OS is on the solid state drive, the hard drive is for the data.

It was really nice to understand all the parts going in.

It's cheaper to replace one fried part than a whole computer.

When DS first turned his computer on, it started up nice and quiet. Then five seconds later, it shut down. Then it started again, then off again. We all were really tired, so we slept on it. Typical me, I surfed the internet and found the possible causes. So did DS. Turned out the RAM was not seated exactly right on the motherboard. He fixed it, and it's been a dream machine since then. It has a solid state drive and a hard drive. The OS is on the solid state drive, the hard drive is for the data.

It was really nice to understand all the parts going in.

It's cheaper to replace one fried part than a whole computer.

Sounds like a sweet machine your DS has. Great point about better to replace one fried part then a whole computer.

What size SSD did you decide to get for the Win 10 machine? If I was to get one, I'd think for me 250GB would do for the drive to hold the system and my data. But 500GB sounds like a nice, rounder number :).

I put a 240 Gig in the windows laptop, its mostly my travel machine.

And I put a 240 Gig in the linux box, but it also has a 1T drive for data.

I put a 240 Gig in the windows laptop, its mostly my travel machine.

And I put a 240 Gig in the linux box, but it also has a 1T drive for data.

Thanks. I'm still tinkering around at that PC Parts site. Think I'll select a 240 or 250 GB for now. Of course, wait a couple of years and SSDs might be a dime a dozen.

I built my last (and first) PC in the early 2000s. At the time I said never again because I hated doing the part research and I really don't like working in constrained cases routing cables and components.

And now here I am toying with the idea of putting together a custom hackintosh. Probably since I'm lazy I'll just think about it and then get a 5k imac

I built my last (and first) PC in the early 2000s. At the time I said never again because I hated doing the part research and I really don't like working in constrained cases routing cables and components.

And now here I am toying with the idea of putting together a custom hackintosh. Probably since I'm lazy I'll just think about it and then get a 5k imac

Yeah, I know the feeling of stuck during a build with a problem then questioning my own sanity as to why I wanted to build a computer in the first place :(.

Last edited:
The Waiting is the Hardest Part ...

Okay, after lots of browsing of parts and looking at different combinations and considering what I want and need, I've come up with the following at my "future build":

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6cVvD8

My rationale is I'm really not a gamer, but could use an upgrade, runs Win 10, and the cost falls within my budget.

I went ahead and put all the parts to buy in a wish list on Amazon. But since I don't plan on doing any building or buying just yet, will (hopefully) see the prices drop before then.

Okay, after lots of browsing of parts and looking at different combinations and considering what I want and need, I've come up with the following at my "future build":

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6cVvD8

My rationale is I'm really not a gamer, but could use an upgrade, runs Win 10, and the cost falls within my budget.

I went ahead and put all the parts to buy in a wish list on Amazon. But since I don't plan on doing any building or buying just yet, will (hopefully) see the prices drop before then.

I'd add another stick of RAM, but that's just me..;)

I'd add another stick of RAM, but that's just me..;)

I put down 1 stick of 8GB. Figure if the doesn't feel right, can easily add more later.

The Waiting is the Hardest Part... (no kidding)

So, I created a wish list on Amazon called "My Computer Build" with all the parts for my future build. Thinking, I'm in no rush to buy since I really don't plan on building for about 2 years.

Then waking up this morning, I see the price of the processor drop 30%, a two day offer. Now what? Do I pull the trigger or hold out longer? My price tracker does show this is the lowest price so far in the processor's lifetime. Decisions, decisions. :(

Ah, go for it. You only live once.

Ah, go for it. You only live once.

There's the "Who wants to be a Millionaire" psychology involved. Take the money and walk away, or keep playing? :(

Do I buy now and lock in the discount? Or wait for a couple of years to let prices maybe drop even lower? If I buy now, will I have buyer's remorse for not getting a better deal down the road? But what if the price doesn't go down 30% again.

The price will always go down. So you will wait forever?

If your existing computer is too old and you want a new one, now is as good as any.

There's the "Who wants to be a Millionaire" psychology involved. Take the money and walk away, or keep playing? :(

Do I buy now and lock in the discount? Or wait for a couple of years to let prices maybe drop even lower? If I buy now, will I have buyer's remorse for not getting a better deal down the road? But what if the price doesn't go down 30% again.

Don't forget about the value you'll get from enjoying improved performance for two years if you purchase now. That's worth a lot to me because I don't buy into that "what's the rush, you're retired" mindset. I'm also old and don't want to waste what time I have left waiting for a page to load. :)

The price will always go down. So you will wait forever?

If your existing computer is too old and you want a new one, now is as good as any.

The price for electronics tends to go down. Or the more reason to wait and a bit more before buying. That is, of course, hoping down by more than 30% when I buy.

Existing computer isn't too old (for me) as far as processing power. Too old in the future when MS cuts off security updates in 2020.

Don't forget about the value you'll get from enjoying improved performance for two years if you purchase now. That's worth a lot to me because I don't buy into that "what's the rush, you're retired" mindset. I'm also old and don't want to waste what time I have left waiting for a page to load. :)

True. But If I purchased now, that'll only be the processor as I really don't mind waiting for prices to drop for a couple of years. I guess it is a matter of what's more important...save some extra $ or the new car feel and smell :).

Looks like someone snatched up that offer. I think that was an offer from a 3rd party seller and not Amazon directly. Of well. Back to price tracking for me :).

Well, still in the planning stage for my next computer build.

Did pick up a couple of parts. A case fan, and hard drive (which I'm using in my current system at the moment).

To my surprise, part prices haven't really dropped much in 7 months :mad:.

For what it's worth...here's my latest part list for the future build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L4PzVY

There have been some manufacturing issues that have frozen or caused to rise certain parts, like RAM and certain HDD and SSD drives. Even last Black Friday I had to pay premium prices for RAM.

There have been some manufacturing issues that have frozen or caused to rise certain parts, like RAM and certain HDD and SSD drives. Even last Black Friday I had to pay premium prices for RAM.

I think maybe around Christmas and the New Year is a good time to RAM and HDD/SDD shop. Along with CPU shopping too. I'll keep my eyes open then for good bargains.

But still have time as don't plan to get serious (as in have the parts) until around 2019. Yet, a deal is a deal :).

Well, still in the planning stage for my next computer build.

Did pick up a couple of parts. A case fan, and hard drive (which I'm using in my current system at the moment).

To my surprise, part prices haven't really dropped much in 7 months :mad:.

For what it's worth...here's my latest part list for the future build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L4PzVY

I suggest you go back to your A8 cpu build and **** can that 610 video card. The integrated graphic card in A8 is massively better than that 610. That 610 is only good for HTPC'S, the only thing it good for if you don't have a hdmi connection on your Mobo. In fact I would go for the A10-7860k CPU for the same $ as the FX6200,the integrated graphics in that chip will run all but the latest games and still might run some of them at lower fps.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...1&compare=geforce-gt-610-v2-vs-radeon-r7-7600

Last edited:
Well, our desktop computer (circa 2010'ish?) finally took it's last breath, so it was time to go out and get a new one. Lucky for me, I didn't even have to build it...Microcenter did it for me; I got a refurbished HP w/ Windows 10 for a whopping $154.00 out the door.

To be fair, I don't do any gaming and the extend of the desktop use is internet surfing and some open office stuff...so this refurbished computer works just fine for us.

I suggest you go back to your A8 cpu build and **** can that 610 video card. The integrated graphic card in A8 is massively better than that 610. That 610 is only good for HTPC'S, the only thing it good for if you don't have a hdmi connection on your Mobo. In fact I would go for the A10-7860k CPU for the same $ as the FX6200,the integrated graphics in that chip will run all but the latest games and still might run some of them at lower fps.

Nvidia GeForce GT 610 v2 compare AMD Radeon R7 7600 GPU

Point well taken.

But I'm really not a gamer and have the 610 as an existing card. Plus, then I'll have to look for a compatible Mobo for the A10 cpu. Picking parts is part art :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom