Computers - Planning My Next Build

I'd be too afraid of getting stung by buying cheap, cheap ones of the OS.

Been drinking some Linux cool aid over the past several days. So, I'm thinking, my next PC could have Linux for my primary stuff. But I won't be able to separate totally from Win as have some Win only programs.

Question is, if I was to run Win in a virtual machine, abouts how loaded a machine do I need to build/buy to run effectively?

Still got time to ponder as I'm still in the brainstorming phase.

I switched from Win to Linux about 3+ years ago.
Only need windows for running tax program locally, everything else I can do on Linux.

My box has 12 Gig of ram, and I can run 2 VMs at the same time on it. You could easily use a machine with just 8 Gig of ram and it would be very fast.

The thread is over a year old now. I think it's (almost) silly to think about the machine you'll build/get 2 or 3 years down the road (from the original post) considering how technology will change and prices will come down in that time.

Notwithstanding, if performance is an issue, just replace the internal hard drive with a good SSD and most all desires for a new machine will disappear instantly.

Back in the day, I built a few machines. Today, it's not worth the time or money. You can pick up excellent i3/i5/i7 refurb/recertified machines for $100-$200, some preconfigured with SSD. I would say this is also the answer to your Win 7 end of life issue - because these $100-$200 refurbs come loaded with Win 10. These loaded machines cost only a few bucks more than the cost of the standalone Win 10 license in many cases.

As for that ancient Athlon chip, frame it and keep it as a collectible. It's not worth spending money to build a machine around it.

Here, let me do the work for you...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAJ26U63774

The thread is over a year old now. I think it's (almost) silly to think about the machine you'll build/get 2 or 3 years down the road (from the original post) considering how technology will change and prices will come down in that time.

Notwithstanding, if performance is an issue, just replace the internal hard drive with a good SSD and most all desires for a new machine will disappear instantly.

Back in the day, I built a few machines. Today, it's not worth the time or money. You can pick up excellent i3/i5/i7 refurb/recertified machines for $100-$200, some preconfigured with SSD. I would say this is also the answer to your Win 7 end of life issue - because these $100-$200 refurbs come loaded with Win 10. These loaded machines cost only a few bucks more than the cost of the standalone Win 10 license in many cases.

As for that ancient Athlon chip, frame it and keep it as a collectible. It's not worth spending money to build a machine around it.

+1 about a planned build 2 or 3 years down the road can look silly as I've already changed my plan a few times. Yet, the topic of building a new system in general is still relevant.

On the SSD and get a refurb with Win 10, but wouldn't Win 10 patch Tuesday and other updates still be a PITA sometimes? :facepalm: Only just a faster pain with SSD.

I switched from Win to Linux about 3+ years ago.
Only need windows for running tax program locally, everything else I can do on Linux.

My box has 12 Gig of ram, and I can run 2 VMs at the same time on it. You could easily use a machine with just 8 Gig of ram and it would be very fast.

I'm in a similar situation now in that I only absolutely need Windows to run locally a tax program and a GPS update program. I could always keep a basic win computer around just for these infrequent jobs.

But, even just to run a couple programs on another machine or VM, still requires the regular Win updates I assume.

8 GB of ram isnt' that much :).

Thank you for that suggestion njhowie it made me look. My current pc is about 15 years old with a Pentium D processor running linux mint xfce and its certainly showing its age. I just ordered an HP 8300 elite with a Pentium I7, 8 MB ram and 250 GB SSD for $249 from newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...C-_-EMC-022518-Index-_-index-_-9SIA5HA6CC3853. We'll see how this turns out. I've never bought any refurbished items before.

Thank you for that suggestion njhowie it made me look. My current pc is about 15 years old with a Pentium D processor running linux mint xfce and its certainly showing its age. I just ordered an HP 8300 elite with a Pentium I7, 8 MB ram and 250 GB SSD for $249 from newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...C-_-EMC-022518-Index-_-index-_-9SIA5HA6CC3853. We'll see how this turns out. I've never bought any refurbished items before.

ejman - Congrats! I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with the new box - it is going to fly with the configuration you took.

I purchase all of my machines from Newegg refurb inventory - servers and desktops. I have not had one single issue in 10 years having purchased about 10 machines.

I do still have one old Pentium D HP box running Win XP. We have an old scanner and photo printer (both high end) which do not have any newer drivers. We put a SSD in it, and it performs better than an i3 with HDD.

Again, you are going to be extremely happy with your configuration. Enjoy!

I did just have a quick look at the link, it says Grade B - so the box may be scratched up or something, but the internals will be fine.

Last edited:
Great idea about the refurbs njhowie.

Nice to see SSDs included as part of the refurbs.

I've bought several refurbs in the past (not from Newegg, but Tigerdirect). Some look almost brand new, some look used. Each case, no software problems encountered.

With your recent purchase, are you going to stick to Linux as the OS? Or are you going to see what all this Win 10 thing is all about? :)

I've bought several refurbs in the past (not from Newegg, but Tigerdirect). Some look almost brand new, some look used. Each case, no software problems encountered.

With your recent purchase, are you going to stick to Linux as the OS? Or are you going to see what all this Win 10 thing is all about? :)
I'm thinking I'll try the Win 10 Pro it comes with for a while and see how it performs in this new (to me) pc. I've been using Linux mint for years now and I am very comfortable with the way it works so the Win 10 install may not last long. We'll see.

My wife's HP laptop came with win 7 originally, upgraded to win 10 but it has been a royal pain and I've never been able to get it to work with the HP wireless printer we have and after numerous attempts at reinstalling, using patches, registry changes, help from HP etc I've finally given up on win 10 in her PC, installed linux mint xfce and no problems at all connecting to network, printer and so on, absolutely trouble free. If win 10 gives me any attitude at all in this new pc I'll send it packing.

I'm thinking I'll try the Win 10 Pro it comes with for a while and see how it performs in this new (to me) pc. I've been using Linux mint for years now and I am very comfortable with the way it works so the Win 10 install may not last long. We'll see.

My wife's HP laptop came with win 7 originally, upgraded to win 10 but it has been a royal pain and I've never been able to get it to work with the HP wireless printer we have and after numerous attempts at reinstalling, using patches, registry changes, help from HP etc I've finally given up on win 10 in her PC, installed linux mint xfce and no problems at all connecting to network, printer and so on, absolutely trouble free. If win 10 gives me any attitude at all in this new pc I'll send it packing.

Make it a dual boot and you can have both available to you all the time.

I'm still on Win 7, but when 2020 rolls around and support ends, think I'll move on to Linux. Kinda new to me, but was poking around the past week checking out a couple of distros and also did put Win 10 (had the free upgrade a couple years ago, but reinstalled fresh) on my laptop.

Earlier in the afternoon, I loaded Linux Lite on my desktop (removed the Win hard drive and put in a blank hard drive for testing). I have a Dell Optiplex, Dual Core CPU, 6GB ram, but Linux Lite was running pretty quick on that.

I'm still on Win 7, but when 2020 rolls around and support ends, think I'll move on to Linux. Kinda new to me, but was poking around the past week checking out a couple of distros and also did put Win 10 (had the free upgrade a couple years ago, but reinstalled fresh) on my laptop.

Earlier in the afternoon, I loaded Linux Lite on my desktop (removed the Win hard drive and put in a blank hard drive for testing). I have a Dell Optiplex, Dual Core CPU, 6GB ram, but Linux Lite was running pretty quick on that.
Yes, when I first learned about Linux I spent a couple of months playing around with a variety of distros which was a lot of fun. Finally settled on Linux mint XFCE which works very well for most everyday tasks on my Pentium D (820 Smithfield) HP media center computer with 2 GB RAM. I can't quite run a virtual install however and video editing not so much. The motherboard only handles 4 GB RAM max. So I didn't want to spend any money on such an ancient artifact hence the new one.

Make it a dual boot and you can have both available to you all the time.
Yes, that's an option but I would hate to waste SSD capacity on a win 10 partition if I'm not going to use it much.

Yes, when I first learned about Linux I spent a couple of months playing around with a variety of distros which was a lot of fun. Finally settled on Linux mint XFCE which works very well for most everyday tasks on my Pentium D (820 Smithfield) HP media center computer with 2 GB RAM. I can't quite run a virtual install however and video editing not so much. The motherboard only handles 4 GB RAM max. So I didn't want to spend any money on such an ancient artifact hence the new one.

What I tend to do is play around with distros a bit, then put aside for a few months, then play around again. But this time around, I feel good enough in the future there's a good chance I'll be switching over. Never say never, but this time instead of having a toe in the water, I pretty much have one leg in :).

What I tend to do is play around with distros a bit, then put aside for a few months, then play around again. But this time around, I feel good enough in the future there's a good chance I'll be switching over. Never say never, but this time instead of having a toe in the water, I pretty much have one leg in :).
Just curious, what has kept you from doing the switchover to Linux? From your comment it seems you have had experience with various Linux distributions for a while now. Since you have an "older" computer (as do I) it would seem to be a good fit.

Just curious, what has kept you from doing the switchover to Linux? From your comment it seems you have had experience with various Linux distributions for a while now. Since you have an "older" computer (as do I) it would seem to be a good fit.

I'd say probably the two biggest reasons are 1) FOCL (fear of command line :() and 2) Not wanting to give up some very nice working Win programs.

Also, I'd say that I had the wrong mindset as when trying the distros wanting to have them look like the familiarity functionality of early Macs and Windows, but instead of letting the systems come to me, if that makes sense.

Overall, I like the idea of open source and pick and choose my own favorite distro instead of having a company dictate the OS.

There will be growing pains though. As noticeable first is the idea of different ways of trying to install programs instead of just clicking on an EXE file like in Windows.

Besides poking around, haven't really played around and used too many distros.

I'd say probably the two biggest reasons are 1) FOCL (fear of command line :() and 2) Not wanting to give up some very nice working Win programs.

Have you tried Linux Mint? The UI is somewhat reminiscent of Windows 7. And it comes with familar productivity apps, mail, browser, etc. No real reason to ever go to the command line, although with Google's help it's pretty easy to find out what you need to type to get stuff done the old fashioned way.

Loading apps from the software manager is straigtforward as well.

But I hear you on on the Windows programs. I have a second Win machine for just that purpose! (Wish TurboTax and Lightroom were available on Linux.)

Also, I'd say that I had the wrong mindset as when trying the distros wanting to have them look like the familiarity functionality of early Macs and Windows, but instead of letting the systems come to me, if that makes sense.

Overall, I like the idea of open source and pick and choose my own favorite distro instead of having a company dictate the OS.

There will be growing pains though. As noticeable first is the idea of different ways of trying to install programs instead of just clicking on an EXE file like in Windows.

Besides poking around, haven't really played around and used too many distros.
There is hardly ever any need to use the command line (terminal) in regular Linux use unless you want to geek out. If you ever run into a problem and do research in the Linux forums then the old hands will show you how to fix the problem quickly which is usually a copy and paste into the Linux terminal screen. I've been using Linux for years now and this is a very infrequent event.

As to WIN programs, I have used Quicken since 1992 and found that WINE in Linux will run a lot of Windows programs (including Quicken 2010 which is the version I use and like the most although I think latter versions are also supported). I use playonlinux https://www.playonlinux.com/en/ as an easy way to install windows programs but you don't have to, WINE can be used directly as playonlinux is sort of a graphic interface using the WINE engine. BTW, WINE is not an emulator, it directly interprets windows programs into Linux in real time so I haven't noticed any performance impairments with my archaic setup any way.

Tax software is the only area where I haven't been able to find a Linux functional equivalent to windows apps. I tried installing windows tax software under wine (turbotax) and apparently that particular program does some weird calls that wine was not happy about. Of course, one can use browser based tax software just fine under Linux.

As for installing programs, the Linux distros I've tried all have a software manager/store where one simply clicks on the app to be installed and presto its done, all dependencies taken care off. Linux distros I'm familiar with strongly discourage installing apps from "out there" in the interwebs and in fact my Linux mint distro will not allow it unless I go thru hoops to make it possible.

There is hardly ever any need to use the command line (terminal) in regular Linux use unless you want to geek out. If you ever run into a problem and do research in the Linux forums then the old hands will show you how to fix the problem quickly which is usually a copy and paste into the Linux terminal screen. I've been using Linux for years now and this is a very infrequent event.

As to WIN programs, I have used Quicken since 1992 and found that WINE in Linux will run a lot of Windows programs (including Quicken 2010 which is the version I use and like the most although I think latter versions are also supported). I use playonlinux https://www.playonlinux.com/en/ as an easy way to install windows programs but you don't have to, WINE can be used directly as playonlinux is sort of a graphic interface using the WINE engine. BTW, WINE is not an emulator, it directly interprets windows programs into Linux in real time so I haven't noticed any performance impairments with my archaic setup any way.

Tax software is the only area where I haven't been able to find a Linux functional equivalent to windows apps. I tried installing windows tax software under wine (turbotax) and apparently that particular program does some weird calls that wine was not happy about. Of course, one can use browser based tax software just fine under Linux.

As for installing programs, the Linux distros I've tried all have a software manager/store where one simply clicks on the app to be installed and presto its done, all dependencies taken care off. Linux distros I'm familiar with strongly discourage installing apps from "out there" in the interwebs and in fact my Linux mint distro will not allow it unless I go thru hoops to make it possible.

For me, once I do make the dive, will have to put brakes on myself to not try and go to the command line too often. I figure, since probably about 80% of what I do is using a web browser (which really isn't any different with another OS), the other 20% should be worth the change. I did play around with Wine and playonlinux before. Had mild success.

I might have to keep a spare Win computer around anyhow for programs like taxes and my GPS update. Plus, family members think I'm their computer tech support :facepalm:.

I've been mapping (in my mind only) what programs I use and most of them, I can think of a Linux counterpart.

ejman,

I'm stoked. In a good way.

Was doing some more poking around in Linux just now. One of the Win programs that I thought would be difficult to replace is one that records audio. I actually bought that as when Microsoft when from Win XP to Win 7, what I was using, Audacity stopped working on my Dell. There is a version of Audacity. But Audacity is more complicated than the software I have.

So, with a bit poking around. Just found and tested (went to command line to install since not in repository) a simple program that pretty much does the program I purchased does. Yay for open source. More incentive to switch!

ejman,

I'm stoked. In a good way.

Was doing some more poking around in Linux just now. One of the Win programs that I thought would be difficult to replace is one that records audio. I actually bought that as when Microsoft when from Win XP to Win 7, what I was using, Audacity stopped working on my Dell. There is a version of Audacity. But Audacity is more complicated than the software I have.

So, with a bit poking around. Just found and tested (went to command line to install since not in repository) a simple program that pretty much does the program I purchased does. Yay for open source. More incentive to switch!
Exactly! Linux really is a lot of fun to use and most everything that can be done in another OS can be done in Linux (with the exception of tax software :()

Exactly! Linux really is a lot of fun to use and most everything that can be done in another OS can be done in Linux (with the exception of tax software :()

I was starting to get a bit hooked about a month ago as was trying to record the screen on my computer. Tested several Win recording programs (both commercial free trial and free), but results ended up choppy. Tried a Linux program that some guy wrote, worked like a charm.

I'm not trying to knock Win. But good to have alternatives and some things are done easier in another system.

I still have a Win budgeting program, that I swear by in Win but haven't found a nice, comparable friendly easy to use one yet in Linux. But most other stuff, I'm good. Stuff like Teamviewer, Anydesk, Veracrypt there are Linux versions too. Of course, except the taxes and GPS update for me.

Back
Top Bottom