Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I had an innocent conceal and carry thread about 6months ago. A lot of interesting comments then Porky Pig reared his ugly head!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have had mine for 6 months (I'm a gun novice) and will get only my second chance to target shoot next week at a friends farm. We had a couples get together a few months back and the guys wanted me to bring it so they could see it. The 3 ladies were scared to death of it and were not happy I brought it, even though its magazine was removed, unchambered, and had a safety chain locked through the chamber. The guys all wanted to look at it and check it out. My buddies wife who I am going up to see told me last week don't bring that thing up here. My buddy called me last night and said make sure you bring the gun and we will sneak to the back of the farm and shoot it and she will never know!
oink oink, what has got to do with the price of eggs guns?

As REW has suggested, let's keep this on track please.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

The price of guns seems to me to be a function of the overall cost of living in the state where the gunshop is sited. The site GunBroker.Com (I'm not any way affiliated or promoting that site) is the best way to gauge the cost of a handgun. Seems like places like Arizona, Kentucky, Missouri, etc have much lower prices than say Washington, California.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #23

Another advantage in getting old where I live is that people over 65 years old get a big price break on their concealed carry permit.

Actually, there are many sites on the 'net that sell firearms, but they have to comply with all Federal, State, and local laws. The firearms must be shipped to a local FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer who must comply with all laws. Of course, the local dealer charges for this service.

There is NO gun show loophole. All people selling firearms at gun shows must comply with all applicable laws.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't like guns. We've got deep roots in Kansas where guns are thought of very differently than here in the DC area where I hang my hat. So, I try to understand.

My uncle in Kansas loves going to the big gun show in Wichita. He claims to get lots of deals there. Truth is, I think he enjoys the adventure and experience. He took my DH with him there once. They had a blast.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I checked out gunbroker after the recommends... seems to list used or near new. I ended up using www.galleryofguns.com - Buy guns online, top brands, best price, best service, best warranty; all types of guns: revolvers, rifles, pistols and shotguns. for the best price on new glocks. They shipped to a licensed FFL which you cna select by price/distance.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inflation and scarcity of some models will drive up the local price of a firearm. I have a couple of pistols I bought more than 25 years ago that could be sold for more than twice what I paid for them new. This is mostly due to the rarity of those particular pistols and the demand for older USA made pistols of that size and caliber.

I looked at buying my newest pistol from an internet site but decided that buying local has some value beyond the $$ saved by buying from a shop without a store front. I am not a collector but I have purchased firearms over the past 40 years or so; not counting what I inherited from my dad. I would say overall the value of good quality firearms has actually risen a bit slower than inflation over this time. The biggest increase seems to still be in ammunition; even if you reload your own. Brass seems to just go up and up.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #27

With the economy of joblessness and my feeling that I could appear to be a target for easy pickings as I get older, I feel more secure with a means to protect myself at home and when I travel. LBYM lets me blend in safely during hard times..

I see that the big price increases occur when a ban of some kind takes place and their is scurrying to acquire the soon to-become-contraband before the selling ban goes into effect. Some ammunition was scarce and expensive for a while during the Mideast conflicts. When my state became a shall issue from a may issue concealed carry state, there was little price changes, but gun dealers saw large increases in sales from pent up demand suddenly being met.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #28

I wanted to comment about the price of guns and ammo, but it had a political slant.

Never mind.

Davidson's (Gallery of Guns) is a great place to shop. If I find something I want on sale I call my local pusher and he orders it at the sale price for me.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

From recent national sporting goods chain flyer:

9mm, 115-gr., FMJ, 50, $10.99
.45, 230-gr., FMJ, 350, $159.99, with "free" Mil-spec ammo case

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Those are good (not great) ammo prices. You can do much better with mail order, for example. But ammo cost is only a consideration if you do a lot of shooting. The OP asked about gun prices.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I think the prices are really no problem. The gun with normal care is going to last 4 generations anyway, and by then the government will have picked them all up.

The main thing is that if you do have to use it, you really really want it to work. Also you want to practice a lot, and you want to go to a good range/gun store and shoot shoot shoot before you decide what to buy. Then buy it, as long as it is a Glock. Who cares if it costs $100 more, this isn't a restaurant tab that may be a monthly or weekly expense. Another thing I would say, is that "gun experts" often run down the 9mm, saying it isn't powerful enough, blah blah blah. The best gun is the one that you will shoot shoot shoot, and the 9 fits that bill better than most. If you think the bullet isn't heavy enough, shoot twice. Or better yet, 4x. Not much short of a cannonball weighs more than 4 x 115gr.

Ha
Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Another thing I would say, is that "gun experts" often run down the 9mm, saying it isn't powerful enough, blah blah blah. The best gun is the one that you will shoot shoot shoot, and the 9 fits that bill better than most. If you think the bullet isn't heavy enough, shoot twice. Or better yet, 4x. Not much short of a cannonball weighs more than 4 x 115gr.
I agree Ha. A 9mm hollow point is a pretty tough round. I personally use a Belgium Browning that was given to me many years ago.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #33

Quote:
I think the prices are really no problem. The gun with normal care is going to last 4 generations anyway, and by then the government will have picked them all up.

The main thing is that if you do have to use it, you really really want it to work. Also you want to practice a lot, and you want to go to a good range/gun store and shoot shoot shoot before you decide what to buy. Then buy it, as long as it is a Glock. Who cares if it costs $100 more, this isn't a restaurant tab that may be a monthly or weekly expense. Another thing I would say, is that "gun experts" often run down the 9mm, saying it isn't powerful enough, blah blah blah. The best gun is the one that you will shoot shoot shoot, and the 9 fits that bill better than most. If you think the bullet isn't heavy enough, shoot twice. Or better yet, 4x. Not much short of a cannonball weighs more than 4 x 115gr.

Ha
Interesting that you mention the Glock 9mm. After doing some research online i've concluded that a Glock 9mm will likely be what I purchase. I still have to go and see it in person but unless it's too small for my rather large hands i'll be buying one. It has a 17-round clip.

It seems like the consensis is that the price won't change much either way when the law changes. I'll be spending $500 for the gun. Adding in the cost of ammunition, target practice, and a permit(when available) won't make it cheap for someone who has a toal annual budget of $12K but it'll be worth it.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I agree Ha. A 9mm hollow point is a pretty tough round. I personally use a Belgium Browning that was given to me many years ago.
Beautiful gun.

Ha
Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
Just curious: I was under the impression that a revolver was more likely to fire reliably and woud probably be safer/less prone to accidental discharge. Disagree? Why?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Just curious: I was under the impression that a revolver was more likely to fire reliably and woud probably be safer/less prone to accidental discharge. Disagree? Why?
Revolvers are harder to shoot straight, particularly more than once. The trigger pull is heavy, and it takes a lot of experience to not pull your aim off.

I still have the first handgun I ever bought, a S&W Model 10 .38 spcl, from the '30s. Very slick gun, but much harder to shoot accurately than the Sig Sauer that I also own. The reason I favor Glocks is that they are really safe and highly reliable, and you don't need to fool with safeties and they are very robust and the 9mm is a better round than the .38spl and if you were to buy a .357 magnum it would scare the heck out of you with it's kick and noise and be hard to shoot well and ruin your hearing.

In your training you will learn to clear jams which with a Glock 9mm and the right ammo should be few. A modern revolver should not be at all likely to discharge accidentally, but then the same is true of a Glock and I would guess many other handguns

Ha
Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Just a suggestion for a concealed carry revolver. Look at the Taurus "Public Defender", a .45 Colt/.410 shotshell revolver specially set up for concealed carry (short barrel, bobbed hammer, fairly light weight).

As with any firearm, practice, practice, practice...
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Just a suggestion for a concealed carry revolver. Look at the Taurus "Public Defender", a .45 Colt/.410 shotshell revolver specially set up for concealed carry (short barrel, bobbed hammer, fairly light weight).

As with any firearm, practice, practice, practice...
That would kill the bad guy twice, but whoa, I bet it is fun to shoot! I shot a big N frame S&W or a heavy Colt (can't remember which, I think it was a Smith) once in .45 Colt. Nice big bullet, but even in that heavy gun you knew it!

Ha
Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That would kill the bad guy twice, but whoa, I bet it is fun to shoot! I shot a big N frame S&W or a heavy Colt (can't remember which, I think it was a Smith) once in .45 Colt. Nice big bullet, but even in that heavy gun you knew it!
It also has a very important property for a personal defensive weapon. The business end is fairly scary looking. That may make firing it unnecessary. (Just don't order it with the pink grip...)

Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Very slick gun, but much harder to shoot accurately than the Sig Sauer that I also own.

Ha
HaHa what is your opinion of the Sig Sauer? Brother sent me his P226 thru a FFL dealer which cost $30 to process.

It's currently locked up until I can obtain some training.