Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
HaHa what is your opinion of the Sig Sauer? Brother sent me his P226 thru a FFL dealer which cost $30 to process.

It's currently locked up until I can obtain some training.
It's a really excellent gun. Needs a bit more familiarity and training than a Glock, but a really good gun. I don't remember which ones, but the Sig is an issue gun with some agencies.

See how little muzzle jump this shooter has to deal with? Firing Sig Sauer P226 9mm Pistol - Bing Videos

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

HaHa, interestingly, I also have a Sig 226, a Glock 19 and 23. (9mm all). I guess we think alike on arms. I liked the smooth action so much on the Sig that I had the Glock 19 trigger replaced to be a lighter, smoother action, yesterday. The heavy trigger pulled my aim slightly and I like hitting exactly what I am aiming at. At least now, there's now excuse.

I really like shooting the SigSauer. It is a very nice gun IMO. Excellent choice!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Just curious: I was under the impression that a revolver was more likely to fire reliably and woud probably be safer/less prone to accidental discharge. Disagree? Why?
Reliability: In general, revolvers are more reliable. That's just a by-product of the design. If a revolver fails to fire for any reason, you just squeeze the trigger again and a fresh round is chambered and ready to fire. With autoloaders, there's lots more to go wrong: failure to feed, failure to extract, etc. In real-world situations, the slide can get blocked by clothing, etc and then a new round may not be picked up. The actions needed to clear the weapon and get it ready to fire again are fairly simple and quick (in most cases), but it's not as simple as simply squeezing the trigger again. Still, a well maintained auto with ammunition it "likes" can often fire hundreds of rounds without a single problem.

Safety: Both types of sidearms have different safety considerations. In a modern weapon with good design (e.g a firing pin block, etc) both styles are very safe. I was taught to keep an empty chamber in the firing position in a revolver, which is a very safe way to carry it (the only way it can go "bang" is if the trigger is pulled ), and most modern autoloaders are nearly as safe.

Since this thread is about concealed carry: There are a lot of very good options now for very concealable weapons, and those who haven't stepped into a gun store in a few years will likely be pleasantly surprised. The Ruger LCP and similar .380 caliber autoloaders are well made, reliable, and appear very easy to "live with" on a daily basis. There are also a lot of fans of the lightweight .38 caliber revolvers and they pack more punch than the .380 autos, but they are heavier and fatter. Because all of these weapons are light, the shooter experiences more recoil. Again, that's just physics. Haha's point about shooting a gun a lot before purchasing is a good one: Most folks don't like to go to the range and fire a lot of rounds through these smaller weapons--the hand begins to sting/ache after awhile. If it is bothersome enough to discourage regular practice, or cause the shooter to aim poorly due to anticipation of the recoil, then a heavier gun/lighter round, different grips, or different technique should be considered.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #44

A word of warning. When I retired from Megacorp in 2007, company policy was that anyone who was discovered with a gun on his person while on the company clock would be terminated immmediately. If you were discovered with a gun in your personal car in a company owned parking lot, likewise. Employees were encouraged to rat on each other. Most Megacorps have the same policy.

When I began work at Megacorp in the 1960's we often brought guns to the office to show and to buy/sell/trade. There was a world-class gunstore in the next block and we would bring our treasures from the store to the office to show to our co-workers.

Times have certainly changed.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
A word of warning. When I retired from Megacorp in 2007, company policy was that anyone who was discovered with a gun on his person while on the company clock would be terminated immmediately. If you were discovered with a gun in your personal car in a company owned parking lot, likewise. Employees were encouraged to rat on each other. Most Megacorps have the same policy.

When I began work at Megacorp in the 1960's we often brought guns to the office to show and to buy/sell/trade. There was a world-class gunstore in the next block and we would bring our treasures from the store to the office to show to our co-workers.

Times have certainly changed.
Likewise, when I was in high school we brought our .22s to class so we could get out into the squirrel woods after last bell.

There weren't so many crazies around then. We were crazy all right, but in a predictable traditional way.

Ha
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Since this thread is about concealed carry:
Is it Sam? I thought it was about gun prices.

From the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It looks like it will soon become legal to carry a concealed weapon in Wisconsin. I'm not interested in debating whether it should be legal or not. I'm just wondering if the economics majors in the forum could give their opinion on whether or not the new law will increase or decrease the cost of a handgun.
Looks like the hog-calling contestants might be warming up in the wings...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Why are you mods (and ex-mods) so worried about the word "gun"? This is one of the most civil threads I've read on this forum in a fairly long time? Cost, concealed carry, recommendations, it's all in the OP as well as the conversation. And it's been presented in a very educational and non-threatening way. Thanks, commenters, I've been enoying it.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Why are you mods (and ex-mods) so worried about the word "gun"?
Because we don't want to see anyone "shoot their eye out"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
This is one of the most civil threads I've read on this forum in a fairly long time? Cost, concealed carry, recommendations, it's all in the OP as well as the conversation. And it's been presented in a very educational and non-threatening way. Thanks, commenters, I've been enoying it.
I wonder if you'd be able to say that - if this thread would have become another "gun rights" debate - had the mods remained silent each time the conversation started drifting away from the thread topic?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Those are good (not great) ammo prices. You can do much better with mail order, for example. But ammo cost is only a consideration if you do a lot of shooting. The OP asked about gun prices.
Unless planning to buy multiple "guns", I would think ammo prices would be more pertinent to future costs. Shooting two boxes of 9mm ammo would cost maybe $20-$25, plus range fees, so not a budget killer. And if you don't plan on shooting regularly, do us all a favor and don't purchase a firearm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

"guns"?
My nephew, at the age of two, made my sister crazy - she was raising him in a no guns/no culture of violence way and he would make "guns" out of anything, including diagonally sliced sandwiches. "Poom poom" he'd say. Cheapest "gun" I've ever seen.

I reload .45 and the lead is spendy, but finding an appropriate spot for shooting is more difficult - fewer and fewer deserted rock quarries that are both far enough out and close enough in
Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Say hello to my little friends:

Springfield TRP Operator .45

SVI .40

Used to shoot IPSC, now in the home safe till I have time to get back into it.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #52

I have a few SIGs and they are great guns (239 SAS with DAK trigger system). My current favorite is the Springfield XD. Nice little gun, with a lot of safety features, and its pretty affordable. I carry the XD subcompact in 9mm in a COMP-TAC holster. Check out COMP-TAC, the holster has interchangeable bodies so you can use it for different guns. Pretty slick.

I got my FFL back in 1995 or 1996 and the price of guns has gone thru the roof since then. Ammo is crazy expensive as well. I see plenty of $600+ guns for sale, and that is dealer cost!

You should consider joing a gun rights organization as well. Doesn't have to be the NRA, there is also Gun owners of America, etc. NRA offers some pretty good firearm safety training.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #53

Looks like i'll be getting a Glock 17 gen4. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #54

Good luck with the purchase, You'll have a blast.