Join Early Retirement Today

Condohotel Investments
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Condohotel Investments

What do you guys think about investing in preconstruction beach front condos. I've reserved two in Myrtle Beach which I should be closing on shortly. I just wanted your opinions on what the downside and upside to this type of investment. I am a little uneasy about the direction the market has taken but I plan on holding for a while. Please don't hold back. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Condohotel Investments
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, there was an article in Crains (a chicago business magazine) about Condohotels in which they interviewed the largest RE developer in the city. His comment was that he didn't like any project where you needed your customer to be "a complete and total idiot"

That about sums up how I feel about them. That may change in the future. During the next downturn in the economy I'm sure there will be some real deals.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
That about sums up how I feel about them. That may change in the future. During the next downturn in the economy I'm sure there will be some real deals.
Put me down for "what he said."

ADJ, will these things flow cash?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Saluki9 could you please post a link to that article.

Brewer, they will not cash flow unless you pay cash or put a very hefty downpayment. Frankly, I would like to sell but the developer is not really allowing reassignment and I have some money tied up in it. I did not expect the market to turn so quickly. I am sure many investors are saying that right now.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What do you lose if you walk away and don't close?

- Will Rogers
Old 01-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

$44K
Old 01-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJ
$44K
Ouch. I guess you will have to decide if you take $44k as tuiting in the school of hard knocks or if you roll the dice and assume losses ( if any) will be less than that figure.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a lot to lose. There's the option to buy one of the units outright and use the cash flow from that unit and the other financed unit to pay for both. What do you think? This does not answer the question whether this is a viable form of investment. What's your opinion?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJ
That's a lot to lose. There's the option to buy one of the units outright and use the cash flow from that unit and the other financed unit to pay for both. What do you think? This does not answer the question whether this is a viable form of investment. What's your opinion?
Whether you finance or not shouldn't make any difference in what you do with the assets. Either you have a gain or loss at the moment, and your choice of financing (debt/equity) won't change that. The more important question is what will happen to the values of these things in the future? Up, down, sideways? How much income will they throw off in the meantime by way of compensation? That is what i would focus on, not how m uch you might already have lost or how you would finance any purchase.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #10

a cousin of mine bought a condo (not a condohotel but in a complex that was marketed made to be rented out) in naples and can't even rent it now because there are so many for rent. she hopes to sell. fortunately they bought early on so they won't reap the profit they hoped for but they should do fairly well. so i'd be worried if there would even be cash flow.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
a cousin of mine bought a condo (not a condohotel but in a complex that was marketed made to be rented out) in naples and can't even rent it now because there are so many for rent. she hopes to sell. fortunately they bought early on so while they won't reap the profit they hoped for they should do fairly well. so i'd be worried if there would even be cash flow.
We don't know anything about OP's specific property, so I would declie to speculate.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #12

::::bows to the master::::

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Whether you finance or not shouldn't make any difference in what you do with the assets. Either you have a gain or loss at the moment, and your choice of financing (debt/equity) won't change that. The more important question is what will happen to the values of these things in the future? Up, down, sideways? How much income will they throw off in the meantime by way of compensation? That is what i would focus on, not how m uch you might already have lost or how you would finance any purchase.
It's hard to speculate at this point. It's beach front in Myrtle beach but 40% of the take goes to the hotel operator. It's also not possible at the moment to speculate on how this type of investment would do in the future. From what I see listed for similar condohotels in the resale market, it appears that the units have appreciated but listings are not sales if you know what I mean.

Similar units in the area are grossing between $25K to $30K in revenue per year.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Can I be sued by the realtor for their commission if I walk away from this deal? Just curious.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJ
It's hard to speculate at this point. It's beach front in Myrtle beach but 40% of the take goes to the hotel operator. It's also not possible at the moment to speculate on how this type of investment would do in the future. From what I see listed for similar condohotels in the resale market, it appears that the units have appreciated but listings are not sales if you know what I mean.

Similar units in the area are grossing between $25K to $30K in revenue per year.

Hmmm, so be generous and assume $30k gross. The house takes $12k, and you are left with $18k, net. With a generous 7% cap rate, I can try really hard and get to a valuation of $250k or so. But that is making a lot of rosy assumptions. What is the purchase price for these things?

I would have a hard time believing taht a realtor could successfully sue you for acking out unless you have already signed a contract guaranteeing them a commission (i.e. you would have to have committed to pay them even if the deal fell through).

- Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

The contractor can sue you for the balance of the sale price . When times were good, they did not bother because they could resell at a profit.

I would talk to the guy about your choices and not do anything rash. Have a lawyer look at the contract you signed first. Your best choice at this point is trying to resell your unit if the contract allows it. If it does not allow assignments, then you will need to convince the seller to let you do it.

You will take your lumps either way but with the resulting rental glut, I would not count on any net rental revenues even before debt servicing.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

The sales price is $200K. The good thing going for this project is the fact that it's ocean front. I would like to believe that the rental will be good because it's an upscale beach front resort but who knows.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Ancient history: Sunriver (Oregon) Lodge did this in the 70s. It took a long time for the investors to conclude it was profitable. Odds are those who could stay the course are happy.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #19

44k if u walk? hmmm...

how long would it take to 'lose' the 44k if you stick it out? what will your mortgage pymts be?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I will have no mortgage payments since I am paying cash but I will have HOA, liability insurance and taxes of approximately $900/month. Presumbaly, the rental income should cover. On paper it seems to have appreciated almost $100K but I am willing to sell right away and breakeven.