Confessions of a Beef Jerky addict...

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
that's right, I capitalized Beef Jerky

It all started with slim jims when i was 4 or 5. Then i moved up to wild bills jerky chew. then i'd get the smokies from the bin at the local convenience store. soon, i migrated to jack links- a standby ever since as they are readily available.

once i had a taste of some 'authentic' jerky froma small cheese shop down south, i was hooked for life. i stop at all the jerky outlets and buy it by the pound.

i am addicted to wild bill's hickory flavored jerky from sheetz

i order every kind of jerky available from amazon to compare and contrast...i write reviews and keep track of my favorites

today, i opened a pack of jack links smokehouse original which is almost perfect....i have 6 lbs of assorted flavors and varieties waiting once this pack disapperas (wild ride, jack links, wild bills, & oberto in this order).

A local company called "uncle mikes" makes a KILLER spicy-hot available at local gas stations...$5.99 or $6.99 for 4oz kills that deal tho (but i've been known to order directly in bulk)

i drink protein powders during the day to supplement my workout...and have some jerky at night because it digests slower than my whey

I LOVE JERKY

It sounds serious. Have you seen a doctor about your addiction?;)

I love beef jerky too, but probably not as much as you do... My favorite is Jack Links Peppered beef jerky.

Any food that you buy at the "local gas station" is low on my food pyramid. What a waste of good BBQ...

for the record, i dont prefer 'bbq' flavored jerky.in order of best to worst: hickory, hot, original, pepper, teryaki, sweet n hot, bbq

try some GOOD jerky and you might change your mind. anything at the local gas station is low on my own pyramid...but i try not to discriminate

I once made an entire mule deer, save the tenderloins, into jerky- simple sun dried meat, the only spice I used was ground red pepper.

We didn't have work then, and we carried that meat around in a pillow case and made lots of really good meals with it, usually from recipes we learned in Sonora. Cazuela de Carne Seca, Chile Colorado con carne seca, etc. We were mostly car camping and staying with friends, who always really liked the dried meat stews too.

Ha

I once made an entire mule deer, save the tenderloins, into jerky- simple sun dried meat, the only spice I used was ground red pepper.

We didn't have work then, and we carried that meat around in a pillow case and made lots of really good meals with it, usually from recipes we learned in Sonora. Cazuela de Carne Seca, Chile Colorado con carne seca, etc. We were mostly car camping and staying with friends, who always really liked the dried meat stews too.

Ha

soooo....are you a mexican hippie or something?

Best jerky I ever ate was venison jerky. Some guy make it in his smoker with a "secret family recipe" herb and pepper concoction.......a little Louisiana Hot Sauce and a cold beer...........yowza!!!!!!!!!!

The subject line could have been written by my 27 year old son who describes himself "as practically a vegetarian with the exception of jerky". I send him packages from all sorts of purveyors with all types of jerky which he then critiques for me....alligator jerky, venison jerky, buffalo jerky....whoa, I'm starting to sound like that Bubba guy from Forrest Gump! He looks high and low wherever he is living(currently London) for dried meats...must be some kind of primal caveman thing as many men seem to like it. My husband used to make his own beef jerky with a very large smoker that I later gave to my brother-in-law in SC. I don't eat the stuff.

The subject line could have been written by my 27 year old son who describes himself "as practically a vegetarian with the exception of jerky". I send him packages from all sorts of purveyors with all types of jerky which he then critiques for me....alligator jerky, venison jerky, buffalo jerky....whoa, I'm starting to sound like that Bubba guy from Forrest Gump! He looks high and low wherever he is living(currently London) for dried meats...must be some kind of primal caveman thing as many men seem to like it. My husband used to make his own beef jerky with a very large smoker that I later gave to my brother-in-law in SC. I don't eat the stuff.

yeah....i forgot that stage of my progression - i tried all the different animals- gators and rabbits and deer. then i got a dehydrator and tried many recipes....only to find that i could not get a consistent taste....might be time to revisit that dehydrator!

Dried Fish

What most of us think of as smoked salmon is a moist, salty party snack. But the Indians up here and in a Alaska make a really dry smoked salmon or smelt that can last for months just in a cool dry place. It really does better if it is not made with a lot of salt, as salt just draws atmospheric moisture. It is as dry and stiff as a board.

One of my Indian buddies got 2 pickup loads of smelt one night. I helped him and his family string all that on sticks and get it to smoking. Goes really well with vodka kept in the freezer. I would keep 3 or 4 bottles of freezer vodka, with different stuff in it. Peppercorns, red pepper, orange zest, grated nutmeg. I like the peppercorn variety with dried smelt.

Ha

Jackson Brothers Meat Locker

This place is south of Lubbock in Texas. Their jerky is some of the best I have had. It is not the thin strips but large thick strips. In fact it is better to keep it in the freezer than the fridge as it will mold in the fridge.

I am almost a vegetarian. Except for the glaring exception of beef jerky and bacon. I just love nitrites, I guess. I discovered this place in Oklahoma in 1991 on a cross-country trip on Rt I40. They had billboards about beef jerky, how could I resist? I have been buying from them mail-order ever since. Robertson's Ham's beef jerky is drier and stiffer, more like real beef jerky. I think it is only seasoned with salt and pepper. I also buy their bacon and smoked cheddar cheese.

Robertson's Hams

My favorite beef jerky is Pemmican Brand, peppered. It is usually nice and tender.

Mike D.

I am almost a vegetarian. Except for the glaring exception of beef jerky and bacon. I just love nitrites, I guess. I discovered this place in Oklahoma in 1991 on a cross-country trip on Rt I40. They had billboards about beef jerky, how could I resist? I have been buying from them mail-order ever since. Robertson's Ham's beef jerky is drier and stiffer, more like real beef jerky. I think it is only seasoned with salt and pepper. I also buy their bacon and smoked cheddar cheese.

Robertson's Hams

My favorite beef jerky is Pemmican Brand, peppered. It is usually nice and tender.

Mike D.

MikeD, thanks a lot for this link, I just [-]spent [/-]invested $100 on jerky and sausage sticks...:D

What most of us think of as smoked salmon is a moist, salty party snack. But the Indians up here and in a Alaska make a really dry smoked salmon or smelt that can last for months just in a cool dry place. It really does better if it is not made with a lot of salt, as salt just draws atmospheric moisture. It is as dry and stiff as a board.

One of my Indian buddies got 2 pickup loads of smelt one night. I helped him and his family string all that on sticks and get it to smoking. Goes really well with vodka kept in the freezer. I would keep 3 or 4 bottles of freezer vodka, with different stuff in it. Peppercorns, red pepper, orange zest, grated nutmeg. I like the peppercorn variety with dried smelt.

Ha

Same up here. Do they leave the heads on the smelt?

Board member here, Notmuchlonger, turned me onto this brand from New Braunfels, Texas, and I ordered $100 worth of Jerky. Son with the culinary degree (which he got before his University degree) says he thinks it's A+, as does Notmuchlonger:

Hickory-Smoked Meats Since 1945 | New Braunfels Smokehouse

They run specials all thru the year and, from my experience, are very exceptional at customer service.

Notmuchlonger told me he has tried lots of their foods, and was pleased with all but the pheasant.

SMOKED SALMON:
If anyone knows where to get some good smoked salmon, I'm interested and would appreciate being given a lead on some.

Same up here. Do they leave the heads on the smelt?

Yes, heads on, guts in. You just poke the stick through the mouth and out the gills, and place on the rack well above the smokey fire.

Ha

Yes, heads on, guts in. You just poke the stick through the mouth and out the gills, and place on the rack well above the smokey fire.

Ha

Here the ones I have eaten have been gutted, but heads on. No worse than kala mojakka.

Board member here, Notmuchlonger, turned me onto this brand from New Braunfels, Texas, and I ordered $100 worth of Jerky. Son with the culinary degree (which he got before his University degree) says he thinks it's A+, as does Notmuchlonger:

Hickory-Smoked Meats Since 1945 | New Braunfels Smokehouse

They run specials all thru the year and, from my experience, are very exceptional at customer service.

Notmuchlonger told me he has tried lots of their foods, and was pleased with all but the pheasant.

SMOKED SALMON:
If anyone knows where to get some good smoked salmon, I'm interested and would appreciate being given a lead on some.

I love the New Braunfels Smokehouse; I stop there every time I am in the area.

Best jerky I've ever tasted is from a little place near Olympia, Washington. It's called
Stewart's Meat Market
and their teriyaki beef jerky is simply to die for.

Whenever I visit my friends in Olympia or go to Seattle for any reason, I always plan a side trip to Yelm. Everything else they carry is great, too.

Interesting links. I thought I was bad buying a few one pound packs of beef or turkey Jerky a month at Costco

Orchidflower;947385nt. [B said:
SMOKED SALMON:
[/B]If anyone knows where to get some good smoked salmon, I'm interested and would appreciate being given a lead on some.

Orchid, I have ordered the Scottish Smoked salmon from the Mackenzie Ltd. catalogue both for myself and as gifts. I really like it...a nice mild flavor and not too salty. I have also gotten good smoked salmon from Wegman's grocery store(alas none near me in the Pittsburgh area). I don't know if all Wegman's have a kosher fish counter where they hand slice the fish but the one in the Fair Lakes section of Fairfax, VA does, and I have bought it there when in the area visiting friends.

Back
Top Bottom