Join Early Retirement Today

Confessions of a Beef Jerky addict...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Confessions of a Beef Jerky addict...

that's right, I capitalized Beef Jerky

It all started with slim jims when i was 4 or 5. Then i moved up to wild bills jerky chew. then i'd get the smokies from the bin at the local convenience store. soon, i migrated to jack links- a standby ever since as they are readily available.

once i had a taste of some 'authentic' jerky froma small cheese shop down south, i was hooked for life. i stop at all the jerky outlets and buy it by the pound.

i am addicted to wild bill's hickory flavored jerky from sheetz

i order every kind of jerky available from amazon to compare and contrast...i write reviews and keep track of my favorites

today, i opened a pack of jack links smokehouse original which is almost perfect....i have 6 lbs of assorted flavors and varieties waiting once this pack disapperas (wild ride, jack links, wild bills, & oberto in this order).

A local company called "uncle mikes" makes a KILLER spicy-hot available at local gas stations...$5.99 or $6.99 for 4oz kills that deal tho (but i've been known to order directly in bulk)

i drink protein powders during the day to supplement my workout...and have some jerky at night because it digests slower than my whey

I LOVE JERKY

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds serious. Have you seen a doctor about your addiction?

I love beef jerky too, but probably not as much as you do... My favorite is Jack Links Peppered beef jerky.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Any food that you buy at the "local gas station" is low on my food pyramid. What a waste of good BBQ...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Any food that you buy at the "local gas station" is low on my food pyramid. What a waste of good BBQ...

for the record, i dont prefer 'bbq' flavored jerky.in order of best to worst: hickory, hot, original, pepper, teryaki, sweet n hot, bbq

try some GOOD jerky and you might change your mind. anything at the local gas station is low on my own pyramid...but i try not to discriminate
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I LOVE JERKY
I love you too, man!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I once made an entire mule deer, save the tenderloins, into jerky- simple sun dried meat, the only spice I used was ground red pepper.

We didn't have work then, and we carried that meat around in a pillow case and made lots of really good meals with it, usually from recipes we learned in Sonora. Cazuela de Carne Seca, Chile Colorado con carne seca, etc. We were mostly car camping and staying with friends, who always really liked the dried meat stews too.

Ha
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I once made an entire mule deer, save the tenderloins, into jerky- simple sun dried meat, the only spice I used was ground red pepper.

We didn't have work then, and we carried that meat around in a pillow case and made lots of really good meals with it, usually from recipes we learned in Sonora. Cazuela de Carne Seca, Chile Colorado con carne seca, etc. We were mostly car camping and staying with friends, who always really liked the dried meat stews too.

Ha

soooo....are you a mexican hippie or something?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Best jerky I ever ate was venison jerky. Some guy make it in his smoker with a "secret family recipe" herb and pepper concoction.......a little Louisiana Hot Sauce and a cold beer...........yowza!!!!!!!!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
soooo....are you a mexican hippe or something?
Just a dharma bum
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #10

The subject line could have been written by my 27 year old son who describes himself "as practically a vegetarian with the exception of jerky". I send him packages from all sorts of purveyors with all types of jerky which he then critiques for me....alligator jerky, venison jerky, buffalo jerky....whoa, I'm starting to sound like that Bubba guy from Forrest Gump! He looks high and low wherever he is living(currently London) for dried meats...must be some kind of primal caveman thing as many men seem to like it. My husband used to make his own beef jerky with a very large smoker that I later gave to my brother-in-law in SC. I don't eat the stuff.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
The subject line could have been written by my 27 year old son who describes himself "as practically a vegetarian with the exception of jerky". I send him packages from all sorts of purveyors with all types of jerky which he then critiques for me....alligator jerky, venison jerky, buffalo jerky....whoa, I'm starting to sound like that Bubba guy from Forrest Gump! He looks high and low wherever he is living(currently London) for dried meats...must be some kind of primal caveman thing as many men seem to like it. My husband used to make his own beef jerky with a very large smoker that I later gave to my brother-in-law in SC. I don't eat the stuff.
yeah....i forgot that stage of my progression - i tried all the different animals- gators and rabbits and deer. then i got a dehydrator and tried many recipes....only to find that i could not get a consistent taste....might be time to revisit that dehydrator!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Dried Fish

What most of us think of as smoked salmon is a moist, salty party snack. But the Indians up here and in a Alaska make a really dry smoked salmon or smelt that can last for months just in a cool dry place. It really does better if it is not made with a lot of salt, as salt just draws atmospheric moisture. It is as dry and stiff as a board.

One of my Indian buddies got 2 pickup loads of smelt one night. I helped him and his family string all that on sticks and get it to smoking. Goes really well with vodka kept in the freezer. I would keep 3 or 4 bottles of freezer vodka, with different stuff in it. Peppercorns, red pepper, orange zest, grated nutmeg. I like the peppercorn variety with dried smelt.

Ha
Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #13

Jackson Brothers Meat Locker

This place is south of Lubbock in Texas. Their jerky is some of the best I have had. It is not the thin strips but large thick strips. In fact it is better to keep it in the freezer than the fridge as it will mold in the fridge.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am almost a vegetarian. Except for the glaring exception of beef jerky and bacon. I just love nitrites, I guess. I discovered this place in Oklahoma in 1991 on a cross-country trip on Rt I40. They had billboards about beef jerky, how could I resist? I have been buying from them mail-order ever since. Robertson's Ham's beef jerky is drier and stiffer, more like real beef jerky. I think it is only seasoned with salt and pepper. I also buy their bacon and smoked cheddar cheese.

Robertson's Hams

My favorite beef jerky is Pemmican Brand, peppered. It is usually nice and tender.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I am almost a vegetarian. Except for the glaring exception of beef jerky and bacon. I just love nitrites, I guess. I discovered this place in Oklahoma in 1991 on a cross-country trip on Rt I40. They had billboards about beef jerky, how could I resist? I have been buying from them mail-order ever since. Robertson's Ham's beef jerky is drier and stiffer, more like real beef jerky. I think it is only seasoned with salt and pepper. I also buy their bacon and smoked cheddar cheese.

Robertson's Hams

My favorite beef jerky is Pemmican Brand, peppered. It is usually nice and tender.

Mike D.
MikeD, thanks a lot for this link, I just spent invested $100 on jerky and sausage sticks...
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What most of us think of as smoked salmon is a moist, salty party snack. But the Indians up here and in a Alaska make a really dry smoked salmon or smelt that can last for months just in a cool dry place. It really does better if it is not made with a lot of salt, as salt just draws atmospheric moisture. It is as dry and stiff as a board.

One of my Indian buddies got 2 pickup loads of smelt one night. I helped him and his family string all that on sticks and get it to smoking. Goes really well with vodka kept in the freezer. I would keep 3 or 4 bottles of freezer vodka, with different stuff in it. Peppercorns, red pepper, orange zest, grated nutmeg. I like the peppercorn variety with dried smelt.

Ha
Same up here. Do they leave the heads on the smelt?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Do they leave the heads on the smelt?
There's a question you don't see asked a lot in mixed company...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #18

Board member here, Notmuchlonger, turned me onto this brand from New Braunfels, Texas, and I ordered $100 worth of Jerky. Son with the culinary degree (which he got before his University degree) says he thinks it's A+, as does Notmuchlonger:

Hickory-Smoked Meats Since 1945 | New Braunfels Smokehouse

They run specials all thru the year and, from my experience, are very exceptional at customer service.

Notmuchlonger told me he has tried lots of their foods, and was pleased with all but the pheasant.

SMOKED SALMON:
If anyone knows where to get some good smoked salmon, I'm interested and would appreciate being given a lead on some.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Same up here. Do they leave the heads on the smelt?
Yes, heads on, guts in. You just poke the stick through the mouth and out the gills, and place on the rack well above the smokey fire.

Ha
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, heads on, guts in. You just poke the stick through the mouth and out the gills, and place on the rack well above the smokey fire.

Ha
Here the ones I have eaten have been gutted, but heads on. No worse than kala mojakka.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote