Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some of these "ideas" I'd never get past DW. But I'm reminded of the time in the 80's when I would drive DW's old 1965 Ford Mustang to work. (She always got the "good" car, ie the one that would crank and get to the destination on time. Anyway, I would park that old Mustang on the street in front of the house and push it off down a slight incline because either the battery was dead or the started was bad, I don't remember now.

When I got to work, I would park it at the top of the sloping parking lot so I could push it off and get it cranked to drive home. It was obviously a standard transmission. I kept this up for some time with great pride in the face of disbelief and disdain from various co-workers, and got quite a reputation for being cheap. The plant engineer even suggested putting a pan under the engine to catch all the oil that was leaking onto his parking lot, then I could recycle the oil into the engine. This didn't seem like such a good idea to me.

I kept this routine up for months until we decided to sell the Mustang and was forced to purchase either a starter or a battery. I've never lost my reputation among friends and family though. To this day they all swear I still have $.90 of the first dollar I ever earned, and I suppose they aren't far wrong.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good to see Tightasadrum and Mick in the club - when i was a grower at a mushroom plant i drove an old Datsun 510 with a bad starter. Every morning we would head off to work - i'd throw a rope on her Audi 100ls, she'd pull start me, unhook, kiss goodbye. At the end of day i'd get a forklift driver to pushstart me - they just loved ramming the bejusus out of that little car! Around the same time we had the waterheater on a timer set for an hour on in the morning and same at night - worked pretty well except when we weren't on schedule and did save money. Clothes are nearly all from thrift stores still. Fix things that break rather than replacing them. We do give ourselves permission on some things and ignore cost: airfare down to SoCal every month and spending on the gal's Mom for instance. She's a fun lady, and my gal reached Hero status with me caring for my Mother - so i'd be a pretty sorry character if i had any problems with her standard of care for her Mother.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Urgent message for W2R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
nor do I use paper towels for toilet paper or any of the other wonderful tips that people have been giving.
Do NOT use paper towels for TP! Those things absorb water and will get stuck in your drains. You will pay for it with the plumber's bill. Trust me: been there, done that!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

In the late 70's I drove a Karman Ghia with very little heat . I remember driving to work as I was scrapping the frost off the inside of the window. Fun Times !
Old 02-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Do NOT use paper towels for TP! Those things absorb water and will get stuck in your drains. You will pay for it with the plumber's bill. Trust me: been there, done that!
is why i always rent a place with a new wrapped roll of TP on the roller: had to pull a toilet to get the folded Brawny paper towel out of the spout at the bottom of the toilet. Not fun landlord times. Also loathe the "flush-away toilet cleaners" = sewer stoppers.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For all of you sandwich bag washers, we've switched to a more permanent storage mechanism with resounding success:

Sandwich Keeper Set

At $11.50 for 2, it probably doesn't fit into the cheapskate thread, but it might provide a good cost/benefit trade-off.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, lots of interesting ideas here....We hang up our clothes to dry instead of using the dryer. We buy the paper towels perforated at 1/2 size so we don't have to cut them. We always wash out the plastic containers from potato salad, etc from the store and reuse them. Also we pay a little extra for Classico spaghetti sauce because we like it and because it comes in a nice Ball jar which we can reuse.

We butcher our own meat (as a matter of fact we butchered a 270 pound pig this morning), my brother has all the equipment, so it really saves us a good buck. Probably the most frugal thing I'm poked fun about at home is I'll wear clothes around the house that have holes worn through them, etc - they're typically falling apart as soon as they get comfortable. At the office I get a lot of flak because when a group of us go out for lunch I always try to pay separately - which bothers a lot of folks who planned to buy for the group. I don't like to do that very often, but I feel like i want to reciprocate if someone buys me lunch, so I try to avoid that as much as possible.

I also drive an 11 year old car, Toyota Corolla, that I bought as a demo car when it was 1 year old with 5,390 miles on it. Now it has a little over 228k and going strong (knock on wood). Some of my family members have been through 4 cars in that time - I can't imagine how much money they've spent in the same time for reliable transportation...

We're also guity of stopping by Costco just to walk around for some samples as a free lunch. My wife will often make gifts instead of buying something - but they always turn out nice and seem to be well received.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
I don't use paper towels, 1/2 or 1/3 paper towels, or any other paper towels. I have never purchased paper towels. I use washable cotton towels for everything. But, I wonder if washing cotton is more expensive than buying paper...:confused: Hmm, time for another study/experiment.
I use paper towels, a roll lasts a year or more; I use them mainly to pick up cat barf (hairballs), then drop the towel and hairball into the compost.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ok, fess up. how do you cut the rolls into thirds? i HAVE to hear this. LOL
Right, fish fillet knife, sharpened just before use.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Drove my '89 car 'til '07.

Cook (mostly) from scratch.

Thrift stores are first stop for clothes, sheets, towels.

If it's yellow, let it mellow...

Heat at 60F, 50 at night; A/C at 85 (90 if very low humidity).

Don't have a dryer.

Vegetable garden (save cardboard and newspaper for mulch)

Don't go to movies

Don't go to restaurants

Turn off power strip for computer et al at night

Use washing machine rinse water for garden
Old 02-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #51

Khan, you're my hero.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
In the late 70's I drove a Karman Ghia with very little heat . I remember driving to work as I was scrapping the frost off the inside of the window. Fun Times !
Hmph. Wimp.

Try doing it on a 100cc motorcycle all winter. Two years in a row.

Of course, I haven't been "quite right in the head" about cold weather since, given what we spend on nat. gas for heat....
Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I had a VW Bug in the early '70s. Recall scraping the inside and outside windshield from the driver's seat.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I had a VW Bug in the early '70s. Recall scraping the inside and outside windshield from the driver's seat.
So how many of you VW owners carried the uptown window defogger kit? a 6" squeegee. Worked fast and easy!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
So how many of you VW owners carried the uptown window defogger kit? a 6" squeegee. Worked fast and easy!
1958 VW bug - Seattle in the 60's. Cloth Bull Durham bag - you know the roll yer own tobacco pouch with the little pull string. Not that much ice in Seattle anyway.

I must confess - whatever frugals I did in life - I never stinted on Toilet Paper - nothing but top of the line for my tush - ever since Boy Scouts.

In some areas you just can't compromise! I'm sure we all have our little luxury to contrast the frugals.

heh heh heh -
Old 02-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I had a '63 bug, 6-volt, sunroof in the '70s. The defroster was the palm of my hand held against the inside of the windshield until the ice melted in that spot.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
1958 VW bug - Seattle in the 60's. Cloth Bull Durham bag - you know the roll yer own tobacco pouch with the little pull string. Not that much ice in Seattle anyway.
heh heh heh -
Had to put up some pics of the '55 camping out under rental supplies in the garage. One of these days...

Cool - you're the only other person i've known who did the Bull Durham trick - with tobacco in it and wiped on the inside of the window with a little moisture it prevents fogging - think i remember using it on the outside to help the woeful wipers too. A good memory: my Dad used to have a roll yer own Bull Durham smoke (usually out) stuck to the corner of his lower lip most of the time - he'd peel it off and relight when something required more than a normal amount of cogitating. Awful tobacco though - little bitty dried up flakes - but it did the job on windows!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
We also hang our clothes on the line, instead of using a dryer.

We don't buy bottled water.
i'm almost there with you on the no dryer. but it's winter and i have to use it. an energy saver i do...heavy things like jeans and big bath towels get hung up for about 2 hours above the washer and dryer (it's the furnace room too) to partially dry. all that extra heat from the furnace does a good job on getting them to a damp state. then it takes less than half the time to get them completely dry. little stuff goes right in the dryer.

save a watt today for tomorrow's use...

bottled water? hell no - i have a small collection of diswasher safe sipper bottles with unscrew caps. fill it up before i go out for the day, and refill when i need to. i drink a lot of water, so that's a huge savings for me.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

oops...forgot a huge cost saver. we all hear how great green tea is for us. and how much are you paying for a 20 oz bottle of green or white tea? last i saw was $1.79. and the add to water instant single serve mixes are off the scale.

this is too easy...Invest in a 64 oz glass (not plastic) wide mouth beverage dispenser. it has a push button spigot at the very bottom. dollar store or wally world sells them for about $3-$5.

take 2 decaf green tea bags and 1 celestial seasons fruit flavored tea bag (black cherry berry or peach passion or any from their fruit sampler box). fill the glass jar to the brim, empty into a regular stovetop pot, add tea bags and heat to boiling. let cool. skim tea bags out of pot. pour tea brew into jar, add about 1/3 cup sugar if you like or skip. stir and refrig.

you will get addicted to this simple fruity green tea. and it is so good for you. and no caffeine so you can enjoy it anytime.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i'm almost there with you on the no dryer. but it's winter and i have to use it. an energy saver i do...heavy things like jeans and big bath towels get hung up for about 2 hours above the washer and dryer (it's the furnace room too) to partially dry. all that extra heat from the furnace does a good job on getting them to a damp state. then it takes less than half the time to get them completely dry. little stuff goes right in the dryer.

save a watt today for tomorrow's use...
What if you just left them hang to dry for a few more hours? The clothes (even jeans and towels) dry in 24 hours (or less) in the winter(and that's upstairs and not in the furnace and laundry room).

Quote:
bottled water? hell no - i have a small collection of diswasher safe sipper bottles with unscrew caps. fill it up before i go out for the day, and refill when i need to. i drink a lot of water, so that's a huge savings for me.
I drink hot water in the winter. Use an electric cup warmer to keep tea/water warm in winter.

Don't go out that much, so don't carry water.