Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

calmloki, that's the most interesting toilet paper holder I've seen in a long, long time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
calmloki, that's the most interesting toilet paper holder I've seen in a long, long time.
it's a hi-cap roller ... get it on the IRS pan and stick the 1916cc engine mouldering away under the bench in there, a little glass, the odd doodad, maybe a tire or four, and it could be fun again. Need to stop playing with the rentals and start playing with more entertaining things again.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Still driving my 1980 Corolla (250K+ miles)

Cut my own hair (I don't have to look at myself, what do I care)

Reuse napkins / paper towels

Know the exact price of every value menu item at all fast food restaurants within a 50 km radius (and I collect napkins, ketchup, salt, plastic utensils, etc)

Don't ask about my underwear - trust me, you don't want to know

Have two 10 year-old garden hoses covered with duck tape

Bicycle tubes covered with patches

Unplug electronic items when not in use

Rarely turn on gas heat, don't have AC (much of house gets down to 45 degrees in winter)
Old 02-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Do NOT use paper towels for TP! Those things absorb water and will get stuck in your drains. You will pay for it with the plumber's bill. Trust me: been there, done that!
He he...I think she got confused with T-Al's cut paper towel rolls that look like tp....First thing I thought when I saw the pics was why does Al have a spice rack and microwave in his bathroom
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #65

Gawd, you guys win. I thought we were frugal, ... but we are spendthrifts compared to you all. DW buys stuff by the bulk when it comes on sale. Our basement has 4 shelves that have cans and dry goods that would support us through the entire winter if we got snowed in. I estimate she saves about 1/3 on average on all expenditures. When I see anything 'new' in the grocery bag, I know that it was on sale. Same with clothes ... she is a black belt shopper, probably saves us about 1/2 off of retail. We eat well and dress well for a fraction of the costs. But no re-use of toliet paper or that sort of thing. The closest thing I have is that on a cruise, I brought in my own bottles of booze. So each night before dinner, we would have cocktails in our cabin ... and then we would carry a cocktail to the show instead of paying through the nose for the ones from the bar.
When I was completing my education, I was on GI bill and her claim to fame (to this day) is that her household budget was 49 cents a day. Including diapers and forumla for the new born.
But I bow to all of you. We cannot compare.

Amusing anecdote: We were in Vegas, riding the bus from downtown to the strip. It's about a 5 mile ride end to end. An older (late 50s) Indian (from India) couple is at the 2nd stop from the start of the run and the bus stops. They ask the bus driver how much and he replies 2 dollars each. They say they want to go down to the Excalibur (at the far end of the strip). It's about a full 4 miles away. It's 95 degrees out. They decide to walk. Everyone was amazed. They would fit right in on this thread.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Eeow! That sounds painful. In the winter around here the incoming water temp is in the 40s. I try to tell her it would save water if we showered together but that only works sometimes.
Yeah, not something you could do in a lot of places, but we're in Hawaii. Most of the year, it's not that cold. In the summer, the coolish water is refreshing.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Our basement has 4 shelves that have cans and dry goods that would support us through the entire winter if we got snowed in. I estimate she saves about 1/3 on average on all expenditures. When I see anything 'new' in the grocery bag, I know that it was on sale. Same with clothes .
I used to stock up on food and clothes when they were on sale. Then I saw that I was throwing away food - expired or got old and clothes. Now I'm on an as needed basis - very little food on the shelves and clothes only when it wears out - 2 pair of jeans.
Again not really to save money

Quote:
Amusing anecdote: We were in Vegas, riding the bus from downtown to the strip. It's about a 5 mile ride end to end. An older (late 50s) Indian (from India) couple is at the 2nd stop from the start of the run and the bus stops. They ask the bus driver how much and he replies 2 dollars each. They say they want to go down to the Excalibur (at the far end of the strip). It's about a full 4 miles away. It's 95 degrees out. They decide to walk. Everyone was amazed. They would fit right in on this thread.
They probably could have gone half way across India for the $4.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #68

My mom always bought in bulk whatever happened to be on sale. As kids, our job was to rotate stock out in the basement to make sure we were always using stuff before it went bad.

To this day, my only horror story from childhood is garbage soup day. She'd clean out the freezer and, if it looked like it might go together, it went in the pot. It was never the same recipe and it usually tasted ok, but it was sort of like food roulette.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I used to stock up on food and clothes when they were on sale. Then I saw that I was throwing away food - expired or got old and clothes. Now I'm on an as needed basis - very little food on the shelves and clothes only when it wears out - 2 pair of jeans.
Again not really to save money
DW was really good about using all the food up. So no waste.
Clothes she would get high quality stuff on sale anticipating need. Again no waste.
I'm telling ya .. a 10th dan black belt shopper. I have no choice but to keep her for another 36 years
Quote:
They probably could have gone half way across India for the $4.
Yeah, probably, it's about 159 rupees
Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I was completing my education, I was on GI bill and her claim to fame (to this day) is that her household budget was 49 cents a day. Including diapers and forumla for the new born.
Breast milk is cheaper (and better). Missed saving opportunity!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Breast milk is cheaper (and better). Missed saving opportunity!
I use it in my coffee...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I use it in my coffee...
Lol reminded me of Meet the Fawkers
Old 02-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

We have always done pretty much all of the things mentioned, and we still do them for the most part. It doesn't surprise me that people on this board engage in these sorts of thrifty habits. Lots more people become millionaires on thrifty habits than on large incomes. People who are focused on early retirement know how to get there.

Now that we are financially independent and retired, we still do the thrifty stuff, but we are also inclined to spend on travel, eating out and other luxuries within our budget now that we aren't in the accumulation phase anymore. It's hard to give up any of the thrifty habits, though.....they have become a way of life.

LooseChickens
Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
He he...I think she got confused with T-Al's cut paper towel rolls that look like tp....First thing I thought when I saw the pics was why does Al have a spice rack and microwave in his bathroom
Yes, that's what happened. I was too embarrassed to admit it!

As far as little pieces of paper towel, I just do that without cutting up the roll like that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
why does Al have a spice rack and microwave in his bathroom
BeaverBurrito.jpg

-
Old 02-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Now we know what Al's beaver is stuffed with...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
What if you just left them hang to dry for a few more hours? The clothes (even jeans and towels) dry in 24 hours (or less) in the winter(and that's upstairs and not in the furnace and laundry room).

I drink hot water in the winter. Use an electric cup warmer to keep tea/water warm in winter.

Don't go out that much, so don't carry water.
Khan, is the rumor true that's going around that you live on less than $10000/year?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

This would have been OK with me, but DW would not have come along. "See you later sweety..."
Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's about a full 4 miles away.
The heat would be one problem, the lack of pedestrian access would probably be another. I've found that often if you want to walk somewhere in an urban area, you end up walking on the shoulder of a highway, crossing busy streets with no lights, your way will be blocked, etc.

Also, ask directions to someplace, even if it's just a mile away, and you always get "You want to walk there? Oh, no, you can't walk there."
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #80

Doesn't everyone do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
To this day, my only horror story from childhood is garbage soup day. She'd clean out the freezer and, if it looked like it might go together, it went in the pot. It was never the same recipe and it usually tasted ok, but it was sort of like food roulette.
We love doing a cupboard cleanout soup! Some of my best creations have come from this method.

No longer using dryer sheets (no need to) since switching to the homemade laundry detergent (LOVE it!)

No paper towels are in our house. Only the pricey lotion enhanced kleenex hidden/used for when I am really sick - use tp for regular sniffles. Ziplocs are rarely used. Brita filtered water poured into water bottles - always have a few in my car. Also, fill up my bottles from coolers at offices I let myself spend money (but it better be a great deal!) on things I think are important - ie ski trip with ski club) and scrimp in areas not so high on my radar.