Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We cut them in thirds before using the roll.

Looks kinda like a roll of toilet paper. What is that to the left a Microwave or a fancy computerize Throne (toilet)?

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #82
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
No paper towels are in our house. Only the pricey lotion enhanced kleenex hidden/used for when I am really sick - use tp for regular sniffles.
I use cloth handkerchiefs acquired at thrift store. Mother used to sew her own from cut down sheets and tablecloths.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of cupboard cleanout soup, this sounds like extreme poverty, but it's not: Last night we had our seventh meal from a single (69 cents/pound chicken). Roast Chicken (DW and me -- counts as two meals), open face chicken sandwich on home-made bread, "churkey" sandwich (just me -- like a turkey sandwich but with chicken), chicken soup with olive-oil-sauteed onions, garlic, curry, and broccoli.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Looks kinda like a roll of toilet paper. What is that to the left a Microwave or a fancy computerize Throne (toilet)?

You want chives with that?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

once when I was still working after a conference there were platters of leftover poppy seed bagels (still wrapped) and deli sandwiches in plastic containers they were going to throw away.

I took the bagels and carefully scraped the seeds off as the kids didn't like them, sliced and froze most of them. Kids were amazed I sprung for the "good" bagels. I disasembled the sandwiches and froze the bread and meats separately, and made salad for dinner from the vegetables. I also used to take all the refundable bottles home or they would go in the trash. I walk daily and still will pick up any refundable bottles and cans. and pennies or any other loose change I see.

Now I just garden like crazy. By the end of summer the storage racks and freezer are full.

All clothes super markdown or second hand, except for underwear which I skip. Just hope I am never in an accident, Mom would roll over in her grave if I showed up in an ER with no underwear on.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
All clothes super markdown or second hand, except for underwear which I skip. Just hope I am never in an accident, Mom would roll over in her grave if I showed up in an ER with no underwear on.
Interesting post until this part........ Way, way too much information!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

So today i was waiting for the roofing company office to re-open after lunch - having the second half of an apartment building roof done so it qualifies as a repair and money spent this year can be written off in full this year - went up and spent 2 bucks at the Jack-in-the-box for my lunch and then thought i would kill some time in a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store. Found a little Griswold cast iron pan there once... They had an ok pan, but not ok enough, so i wandered around, and found a new looking Travelpro 24" rollaboard expandable suiter suitcase, complete with lock, both keys, original sale hangtag with $210 price on it. Spent about $40 on a rolling duffle at Costco a while back, it's getting a lot of use and it's doing ok, but this is a nice bag. Took it up to the checkstand and asked what the price was. $3.99. Hmm. I didn't even dicker. I love when being a cheapskate works out!

Oh - a sorta thrifty thing - bought a big stack of white washcloths from my buddy Costco - use them as washcloths until they get a bit dingy, then they become kitchen cloths (don't think we've thrown away or used a paper towel in decades), when they get unseemly i cycle them into cleaning rags for apartment cleaning.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Breast milk is cheaper (and better). Missed saving opportunity!
it was the 70's ... everything was 'convenience'... however DW said in retrospect, it was a good decision from a personal point of view ... many of her friends have droopy breasts ...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I use it in my coffee...
hmmm where do you buy it?
my cow is past milking uh retired ...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #90

Quote:
The heat would be one problem, the lack of pedestrian access would probably be another. I've found that often if you want to walk somewhere in an urban area, you end up walking on the shoulder of a highway, crossing busy streets with no lights, your way will be blocked, etc.

Also, ask directions to someplace, even if it's just a mile away, and you always get "You want to walk there? Oh, no, you can't walk there."
LV actually has sidewalks ... and crossing lights... but I still wouldn't try it.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been trying to come up with some quirky examples of my frugality, but this stuff is so second-nature to me that it doesn't even seem to be living frugally---just my way of living! Like I know it is weird to go to Great Clips and get my hair cut for $13 (I seldom ever see other women there), but to me it's just where I get my hair cut----and everyone else with their $50+ haircuts are overspending.

And the other thing is that the cheapskate stuff is tied into other things. For example, it may appear that we are being cheap if we take our own pastry to Starbucks (we wouldn't do this with an independently owned coffe shop, but the SB don't care), but the primary motivator is just to control the fat grams and additives by baking at home. And we make our own bottled water by pouring filtered tap water into stainless steel bottles (the polycarbonate stuff got junked a couple of months ago after the negative publicity about the health hazards), but it is as much to help the environment by not using and throwing away plastic as it is to save money.

So see---it's not just being cheap. It's looking out for my health and the environment. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
hmmm where do you buy it?
my cow is past milking uh retired ...
Forced entry into the "mother's room" at work. Alternatively, I hear it's readily available in Tijuana...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Using rags or cloths instead of paper towels sounds appealing, but are you sure that the cost of washing and drying those things isn't higher than the cost of the paper towels.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

...wash em? (they dry on their own) ...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
...wash em? (they dry on their own) ...
Well, but for example if you use one to clean up spilled milk, you kinda gotta wash it... personally I use both, depending on what was spilled.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Using rags or cloths instead of paper towels sounds appealing, but are you sure that the cost of washing and drying those things isn't higher than the cost of the paper towels.
Reminds me of the cloth/disposable diaper debate. IIRC that was finally declared a tossup.

We use dishrags too, and it keeps our kid from wasting paper towels. They're a tiny fraction of the wash (one dishrag per week) and they hang on a drying rack. I can't even remember our last paper towel purchase, but it wasn't 2007 or 2008.

Next in this debate we're supposed to get concerned about all the bacteria growing in our sponges & dishrags. Remember the commercial showing the woman wiping down her kitchen with a nice moist freshly-skinned chicken leg?

Besides, what if all those paper towels end up in a landfill?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, i'm not sure, but we have a kitchen cloth out for a few days, depending on what gets wiped - last night an egg escaped the counter and met the tile floor. The cats couldn't be bothered, so there was plenty to pick up. After a rinse it went in the hamper. Really don't think that a half dozen face cloths adds much volume to a load of whites, and if i'm doing the load anyway....
I tend to use the cloth dry mostly for coffee spills and water spots, and if i use it wet it typically goes in the hamper. My honey, OTOH, uses it wet and then doesn't wring it out and air dry it fast enough - which can cause the cloth to smell bad. I'm forever tossing out new cloths on the counter and spiriting away the soggy ones.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Reminds me of the cloth/disposable diaper debate. IIRC that was finally declared a tossup.

Besides, what if all those paper towels end up in a landfill?!?
I think in the general case it depends on multiple factors. For example, if you have solar arrays on your house which generate much of your own "green" power and you have abundant water supplies in your area, washing and reusing is likely "greener" and perhaps cheaper, too.

But if you have tight water supplies and you are using "dirty" power such as that generated from traditional coal-burning plants, then there might not be an such edge to reusables.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #99
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
How many cloths are you talking about? I don't see how 3 or 4 washcloths a week is adding to the number of laundry loads.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
This would have been OK with me, but DW would not have come along. "See you later sweety..."
The real problem with this walk is what could happen to you right about Charleston Street. The middle part of Las Vegas Bvld (north of Circus) is definitley not Beverly Hills.

Ha