Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the Galaxy SIII is more than you need at this point and overpriced from Ting.

There are very usable up to date Android phones available for under $50. My wife sports a $20 ZTE (unlocked, rooted) that she uses on the $19 Ultra plan (that they discounted even further). But a lot depends on your usage.

My general recommendation is to find an unlocked GSM phone so that you can switch among the AT&T and Tmo MVNOs. A lot of good suggestions here and I would visit the "General Prepaid" forum at Howard Forums and pick their collective brains as well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You didn't mention what carrier you will use for the 3G voice and data, how much you will pay, or how reliable their data is. Limited 3G data plans while traveling can be very tricky. Since you don't use a smart phone at home I would agree with others that a small wifi only tablet or laptop might be a better option if you will be staying places with wifi.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
You didn't mention what carrier you will use for the 3G voice and data, how much you will pay, or how reliable their data is.
Didn't she say she'd be using Ting and was considering a 4G phone with a SIM card? Pretty sure that would be the t-Mobile network.

I don't agree with those of you who are saying go with a hotspot, not a smart phone. As some have pointed out, Amethyst will end up wondering why she didn't get a smart phone long ago.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Didn't she say she'd be using Ting and was considering a 4G phone with a SIM card? Pretty sure that would be the t-Mobile network.

I don't agree with those of you who are saying go with a hotspot, not a smart phone. As some have pointed out, Amethyst will end up wondering why she didn't get a smart phone long ago.
Actually, the later is one of the reasons I suggested going with a tablet and WIFI. If she experiments with a decent smartphone on the go and actually uses it, she will likely buy a permanent plan ruining her ER budget.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You didn't mention what carrier you will use for the 3G voice and data, how much you will pay, or how reliable their data is. Limited 3G data plans while traveling can be very tricky. Since you don't use a smart phone at home I would agree with others that a small wifi only tablet or laptop might be a better option if you will be staying places with wifi.
Agree. Tablet's are easier and more enjoyable to use when navigating the internet. My old Nook tablet is on it's last leg so have been using my smartphone more for internet use when out of town. It's ok for light stuff like checking emails and viewing a website or two.

I have a question concerning speed. Is the 4G data plans significantly faster than 3G? I'm on a 3G Pageplus plan and have thought about upgrading to the 4G one. To do so I would also have to upgrade phones according the their website. Don't care to bother if there is not a big difference though.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Actually, the later is one of the reasons I suggested going with a tablet and WIFI. If she experiments with a decent smartphone on the go and actually uses it, she will likely buy a permanent plan ruining her ER budget.
Yeahbut, ya gotta enjoy life a little along the way.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post

I have a question concerning speed. Is the 4G data plans significantly faster than 3G? I'm on a 3G Pageplus plan and have thought about upgrading to the 4G one. To do so I would also have to upgrade phones according the their website. Don't care to bother if there is not a big difference though.
As usual, the answer is "it depends."

This article answers your question far better than I can:

3G vs. 4G: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As usual, the answer is "it depends."

This article answers your question far better than I can:

3G vs. 4G: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Thanks. I guess what I need to do is sit with a friend who has a 4G and compare to mine. Probably should just put money on a new tablet continue using my phone for calls and texts.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dawg52, PagePlus 4G speeds are limited to 5 Mbps, so you won't notice the huge speed increase you'd see if you were paying Verizon directly. But the 3G network is slowly being dismantled, so within a few years you will need to switch, and maybe sooner depending on what Verizon does with the towers in your area. Because the newer 4G phones are so much faster and nicer than the older 3G ones, I'd recommend switching to 4G just for the nicer phone.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Just curious since you mentioned 2007, iPhone early adopter?
No, I've never owned an iPhone. My first smartphone ("Pocket PC" in those days) was an HTC Titan PPC-6800. Sprint called it the "Mogul." It ran Windows Mobile 6.1, had GPS, WiFi, BT, and worked with Megacorp's Exchange email system. I later owned a Palm Pre (big WebOS fan), Blackberry, Galaxy GS3, and now the Nexus 5.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a satisfied TING user, been with them for about 3 years. My phone bill averages less than $11/month because I rarely use it for voice. Text messages go through Google Voice and count as data, not text. I'd been using a refurbished Galaxy SII which I purchased from Ting. Just recently purchased a refurbished Galaxy S4 from them. I really have no complaints with TING.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #32

There's only one reason to not have a smart phone and that's if you cant afford it. You feel like you dont need one because you cant miss something you've never had, but once you get one, you will never go back. You will find so many reasons to keep it and you will discover so many things that it does that you had no idea about. You cant even imagine. Ive had one for 12 years? and Im still finding new things to use it for every day.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It's not that universal. I have access to smartphones in the house, but I still prefer my old flip phone for phone calls, and use a tablet for internet access.

The super-nice thing about the old flip for a low-use user like me is, I can go weeks w/o charging it, and many days on a charge for those rare times I'm making longer calls. I can't tell you how many times DW was w/o the use of her phone - it's in her purse with a dead battery. And we are each on the T-Mobile 'Gold Plan', I still have lots of minutes and top off just $10/year, DW uses hers more, so I top off her with $100/year (she does most of her messaging on wi-fi at home).

And then, the tablet/laptop has a bigger screen and keyboard (virtual or physical) than a smartphone. The downside is I need to rely on wi-fi, but I'm considering this:

https://yourkarma.com/

I have not looked at the details in a while, but for low-use or occasional use, it might make a lot of sense. What I like is, no contract, the data always rolls over, and it is its own 'hot spot', so it's easy to share on any wi-fi device I have. You could do that if your smartphone package allows hot-spot sharing, but then you are tied into that kind of a contract. I could hand the karma to DW, or take it with me instead - it's not tied to any one of our phones.

Of course, for some (many?, most?) users a smartphone is the way to go. If you want that instant access anywhere, w/o carrying a laptop/tablet, that's the ticket. But that's not everyone.

Also, I got the Moto-G for DD, Gen 2 IIRC. She really likes it, one of the best 'value' smartphones from what I've read.

-ERD50
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another reason to try out or get a smartphone is that they are really good compact cameras and also take decent videos.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

^^ ....and can be used as scanners, GPS units, MP3 players, stock market/investment checkers, mobile bankers, etc etc

Personally, I have been using a basically free Ringplus phone for over a year ( an EVO 3G) I get 100mb a month free data plus all the texts and minutes I ever need. I might have to kick in a dollar or so for data, but I don't use much.

You don't necessarily need to buy a dedicated hotspot. Most rooted phones will do this . Depending on the data plan you buy, you may get this to work.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Another reason to try out or get a smartphone is that they are really good compact cameras and also take decent videos.
As someone who recently went from a fairly crummy smart phone (FreedomPop) to a less crummy smart phone (Moto X 2nd Gen on Republic), I can say that if your phone performs well, you'll find more and more things to do with it. The FreedomPop phone worked great for texting, Google Maps/Navigating in cities, camera was tolerable, but Internet was pretty horrific, even when on wifi. The bigger and more powerful Moto X makes internet tolerable, even on cell data. Better camera too. Plenty of storage for pictures and videos. And I found apps that save me money and help me find good stuff to do (GasBuddy when filling up the RV, PriceLine to lock in a price on a room for the night, Yelp to get a respected place to eat or activity to do).
Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Now I'm really confused. Are some of you telling me that I can use a WiFi-enabled device where there is no WiFi? We'll be in a vacant property for a week.I mean vacant, as in nothing there.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You don't necessarily need to buy a dedicated hotspot. Most rooted phones will do this . Depending on the data plan you buy, you may get this to work.
Quoting myself, if you are referring to my statement, I should have said more clearly that you can turn many smartphones into wifi hotspots.

If you have done this, you can run a tablet from this hotspot. Or you can find a tablet that will grab its own 3G ( or I think 4G) signal as well
Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Now I'm really confused. Are some of you telling me that I can use a WiFi-enabled device where there is no WiFi? We'll be in a vacant property for a week.I mean vacant, as in nothing there.
If there is no service in the area you will not be able to use the phone. While vacationing near Mt. Rainer I couldn't use my iPhone because there was no AT&T service on that side of the mountain. I saw other people using their phones who had Verizon. Like any mobile phone you can see, on the screen, if there is service in your area. If there is an internet connection then you could possibly use that connection but you said there is nothing there.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Any modern smart phone can connect to the internet via the phone system and relays this over WiFi.

Basically, the phone *is* the WiFi base station.

If you are in a "remote" location, it would make sense to figure out what telephone company provides decent coverage there. There are lots of places that don't have cell phone coverage. ATT & Verizon are significantly better at covering out of the way locations compared to Sprint or T-Mobile, but they all fail some in places.

Tags
android, smart phone, ting