Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
...In addition, rather than post-paid (you get a bill every month after you used the service), you may want a pre-paid plan (you pay for the month in advance, like Ting among others, if you don't pay the next month, you lose your account and phone number). Less expensive than post-pay, but sometimes limited in terms of roaming when you can't access your carrier's cell tower...
Bolded part is not correct. Ting is post-pay.

Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used properly a smart phone can certainly help one use time more effectively. I really like the Notes app on Apple (or Evernote for other devices) since notes, reminders, measurements, etc, are then easily available at home on the computer or out and about on the phone. Comparison shopping is a lot easier when I have photos of the table, chair, lamp, etc complete with price tag and measurements. And the traffic apps have saved me hours of time in our now congested city.

There's a lot more to a smart phone than watching cat videos on YouTube.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #63

For posterity, an iPhone 4 on Verizon let's me establish a personal Hotspot. Since the network is 3G, it will not be my net of choice.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If your iPhone and iPad are both connected to the same wifi, you can answer incoming calls to your iPhone on your iPad. We discovered this when our landline was out. Phone in DWs purse, iPad on her lap. Very handy.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If your iPhone and iPad are both connected to the same wifi, you can answer incoming calls to your iPhone on your iPad. We discovered this when our landline was out. Phone in DWs purse, iPad on her lap. Very handy.
In iOS 9.1 (still in beta) there's a new setting for AT&T users:

Add Wi-Fi Calling For Other Devices [ ]

Which will allow calls to you Mac, iPad, etc. even if the phone isn't around. The calls gets routed over the internet, not a cell tower.

Basically, your number gets associated with a variety of devices, your mobile phone just happens to be be one of them.

This uses a new AT&T feature (NumberSync), so it may well also show up on non-Apple devices too.

AT&T Announces Plans for NumberSync and Ability to Use One Mobile Number Across Multiple Devices

At home I usually place my iPhone in a dock in my office. But I also have an older, decommissioned iPhone sitting in a dock upstairs. This also rings when I get a call and I can pick it up and talk. So it's all sort of the reinvention of extension lines.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Just a caution about using your phone as a mobile hotspot Amethyst - be careful about how much data you use. Streaming movies from Netflix would burn up your monthly data allotment pretty quickly. Routine browsing and email, even occasional streaming music, would generally be OK.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I have a question, after parsing through everyone's posts.

When talking about "generations," I get the feeling that there are generations of phones, of data types, maybe of data speeds?

For Example: Can I use 4G data with a 3G phone?

Thanks!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Agree. Tablet's are easier and more enjoyable to use when navigating the internet. My old Nook tablet is on it's last leg so have been using my smartphone more for internet use when out of town. It's ok for light stuff like checking emails and viewing a website or two.

I have a question concerning speed. Is the 4G data plans significantly faster than 3G? I'm on a 3G Pageplus plan and have thought about upgrading to the 4G one. To do so I would also have to upgrade phones according the their website. Don't care to bother if there is not a big difference though.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have a question, after parsing through everyone's posts.

When talking about "generations," I get the feeling that there are generations of phones, of data types, maybe of data speeds?

For Example: Can I use 4G data with a 3G phone?

Thanks!

Amethyst
There are generations of phones and generations of speeds. You can use a 3G phone with 3G or LOWER data. 4G data will still be delivered at 3G speeds to a 3G phone.

So, if you want to avoid obsolescence (for at most a year or two), pick a phone that can deal with today's technologies - or at least the ones that are important to you.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #69

3g begat 4g begat LTE, (simply put)

Like most things in tech, newer generally recognizes old, but old didn't now about new so usually can't read. This was true in the software world as say Microsoft kept changing the file format for things like Word.

I recommend, if possible, you go with LTE.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #70

Just to add more complications...

When you get LTE data, not only is it faster for data transfer, but depending on the phone and the carrier, you can get higher quality voice too.

For example an iPhone 6S (having the latest LTE data) calling another 6S on AT&T sends the call over LTE instead of the older cellular voice network, giving you a much higher voice quality. If you call an older phone with this new one, the voice quality will still sound awful :-)

Don't know if this matters to you, but the new phones have lots of enhancements that really are better in lots of ways.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

What I'd really like to do is get a phone and service that will get the job done now, for not too much money, and then decide later if I want to spend $$ to upgrade.

It is looking like:
*the Motorola G 3d Gen 2015, for $180 from TING (1 Gb/8 Gb with option to double storage for $40 more) or from Amazon for $220 (2 Gb/16 Gb), or
*the Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 16GB 4G LTE Unlocked GSM Android Smartphone, for $230 from Amazon.
Either one can be used with TING. I think TING's lowest tier data/voice plan will probably do the job for now, supplemented with available wi-fi.

But I'm still confused :-( [and it's obvious that's the way the sellers want it!]

Edit: My budget will allow for more $$, but as a card-carrying forum member, I hate paying more for something I don't really need.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
*the Motorola G 3d Gen 2015, for $180 from TING (1 Gb/8 Gb with option to double storage for $40 more) or from Amazon for $220 (2 Gb/16 Gb), or
*the Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 16GB 4G LTE Unlocked GSM Android Smartphone, for $230 from Amazon.
Either one can be used with TING. I think TING's lowest tier data/voice plan will probably do the job for now, supplemented with available wi-fi.
Either will do the job.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Edit: My budget will allow for more $$, but as a card-carrying forum member, I hate paying more for something I don't really need.
Isn't it funny? I have $625 coming my way because I signed up for a Citi Premier credit card and spent only the required amount on only items we needed to spend the money on anyway - so $625 for free. But for weeks now we have been stewing over what replacement phones to get and the cost/value just has me in a dither. I'll probably go for the Motorola E, maybe G as pocket-ability and cost are a concern, she will either go with the Iphone 6s or Samsung Galaxy5 as a great camera, storage space, battery life, and app software are high on her list.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #74

I ordered a smart phone from Ting, thanks to this thread. So far, it has not been a cake walk. Their system validates addresses against a USPS database. My address is not in the USPS database. Got by that hurdle by using a friend's address in the nearest town. Ordered the phone yesterday. Today I got an e-mail saying the billing address did not match. It took my PO Box, but that credit card had my physical address and the credit card company would not let me use a PO Box. Finally had Ting cancel that order and I ordered using a card that had my PO Box as a billing address. Hope it goes well and I get this phone before I leave for the East Coast. If not, it will sit outside for a week. FedEx is not very good at putting packages in the open garage at my unfinished house.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What I'd really like to do is get a phone and service that will get the job done now, for not too much money, and then decide later if I want to spend $$ to upgrade.

It is looking like:
*the Motorola G 3d Gen 2015, for $180 from TING (1 Gb/8 Gb with option to double storage for $40 more) or from Amazon for $220 (2 Gb/16 Gb), ....
Lots to consider, but I would (and will, I need to upgrade DW's phone), go for the 2 GB RAM over 1 GB. The 1 GB versus 2GB number is RAM - that is what the phone uses to run its operations. The "/8GB" versus "/16GB" isn't such a big deal IMO. That is storage memory, mainly for songs, pictures, etc. These phones take SDCards, so if you need more storage you can add it at very low prices (< $.50/GB).

But you are stuck with the RAM you buy in a phone. And if it is too little, the phone will run slower while it has to adjust and move memory in/out. So it is not a good place to scrimp, if you can avoid it.

-ERD50
Old 11-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #76

After spending over a week trying to get Ting to send me a phone, I gave up. I'll have to find another company. They were very good about chatting with me on their chat line, but they could not solve their software problems. They use a USPS database to verify addresses. As with everything else to do with USPS, my address is not in their database. Ting expects me to have a phone and I do not have one. To get into cell phone range is a 2 hour trip in the present weather conditions. They cannot resolve issues on their chat line. So I just had them cancel my order. I will find a company that may not be available to talk to at a moment's notice, but who will send me a phone.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:17 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

The phone is being shipped free (ETA 25 November) but I had to pay $4.00 to ship the $9.00 SIM card. Ting has promised to credit back the $9.00 once I activate the SIM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The phone...
Which one did you decide on?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Moto G 3d Gen 2015 with extra storage, as EDR50 advised.

Black on one side, raspberry on the other, and I paid an extra five bucks to have it engraved :-)
Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
After spending over a week trying to get Ting to send me a phone, I gave up.
Just astounding. They could accept your PO box to charge your credit card but not to mail you the phone?

Tags
android, smart phone, ting