Join Early Retirement Today

Connecting Andriod tablet to XP Desktop
Old 05-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Connecting Andriod tablet to XP Desktop

Hello:

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect (via USB cable) an Andriod tablet to an XP desktop? I assume the desktop needs to be at least Windows 7, but not sure. Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you tried it? What were your results?

Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Yes I tried it. It said new hardware found called "Andriod" and asked me to insert the CD that came with the device or search for the installation software on-line. I did not have a CD nor could it find the installation files on-line. Later it said the device could not be installed.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

I can select if the tablet is viewed by Windows as a music player or a file system. I also downloaded an app that let me drop home-built Android apps into the tabket. It worked under XP, and I don't recall having to get a separate driver. But I got the tablet when XP was still supported. You might hit the web site for your tablet and see if they have XP drivers.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #5

I was able to hook up my old Xoom (original android tablet) to an xp box, back in the day... as a file storage.

Running Astro on the xoom I could move files between the two tablet and computer.

I don't remember installing anything special - I just selected to view the android device in file explorer.

Oh - and you have to have the tablet unlocked... that bit me more than once. LOL
Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

I've done various connections with Samsung 2.3 Android and Nexus 10 (5.2 now).

For smaller tasks I transfer files to a USB that is attached to my Netgear router.
This creates a common share all your devices can get to.

When I get more ambitious, I use AirDroid. It uses an http interface, so you don't need to futz with drivers.

With my old Samsung phone and XP, when I direct connected, XP needed a driver. That was PIA at the time.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #7

Get a bluetooth dongle around $10.

Mini Bluetooth USB Wireless Adapter Dongle Receiver for PC Windows XP 7 8

USB 2.0 Mini Wireless Bluetooth V4.0 Dual Mode Dongle Adapter 20m for PC Notebooks Desktops - Network - Bluetooth - Newegg.com
Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

It sounds as if the two devices are on same LAN. If that is so, then airdroid will do the trick with no additional cost.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My Android phone looks like a thumb-drive (at least to Win7). Can't imagine that it would be different to XP. Just pick the "mass storage" option when the phone asks.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #10

And who say you can't teach an old dog a new trick. I looked at Airdroid, oh man is that clever, really works great.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

<grin>

My Blackberry Passport does this natively with "Blend."

Quote:
Simply put, BlackBerry Blend allows you to connect and interact with your BlackBerry device using your computer or tablet so you can accomplish the following:
  • Send and receive email messages and text messages (SMS)
  • Access your BBM chats, BBM Groups, and BBM Channels
  • Manage your calendar and view your daily, weekly, or monthly agenda
  • View and update your contacts
  • Copy and transfer files between your device and computer or tablet
  • Open a browser with a secure connection so you can access your organization’s intranet and public websites if your device is associated with BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10
BlackBerry Blend also displays notifications on your computer or tablet whenever you receive an incoming message or notification so you can stay in touch without having to pick up your device.
BlackBerry Blend works over your Wi-Fi network or mobile network connection as well as a USB connection so you can decide just how you’d like to connect, or should I say Blend!
In addition, I can turn the Passport into a "USB Flash Drive" by simply switching between "Charge" or "Storage" mode.

BB Flashdrive.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #12

I do it all the time (three of my computers are XP). They see the Android tablet like a thumb drive - just drag the photos / mp3s / etc. back and forth.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

In addition to the methods I have seen mentioned in this thread, you can also use cloud storage solutions to access and/or copy things between XP and your android tablet.

I've done this with Dropbox and Google Drive. On the tablet side you have to take specific actions to download a copy of the file to the local device. This is if you want the files available offline. Going the other way it's automatic. i.e. the windows device maintains a local folder with every file copied to it.

I usually move files between my phone, computer and tablet using bluetooth ftp. USB cable would be faster, but it is usually a background process for me so I choose convenience. I might use the USB or Cloud solution when the file is very large.