Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AL,
It is interesting that you have this glitch and ping confirms that something happens and ping packets are lost. Now, after each backup, do you have to reset the computer, or everything?

I'd try pinging another IP, to see what happens. Some servers may be actively deflecting pings when too intrusive.

Look for a Trace utility that allows multiple traces. I'll try to find one. This will give you more information about the route, and exactly where something times out.

As an aside, the Google public dns--it is more reliable, but might want to test with what your ISP recommends.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #42

AL,
This is interesting. MS says WGR614 is compatible with Win 8.1. But community voting doesn't show that.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...=Windows%208.1

Also, an older router may not be able to keep pace with newer modem. I've run into that.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info.

I did the pinging from Lena's computer too, and had the same result.

I chose 8.8.8.8 simply because that was the address suggested by a web site.

Currently everything is acceptable. Yes, things don't work right for 8-10 seconds following a backup, but I don't need to reset anything--it comes back by itself.

So, there isn't much point in pursuing it. I'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

8.8.8.8 is a Google DNS server. A better option is to ping your router IP address. That will tell you if the problem is on your local network or outside of your network.

If this is a wifi connection, that might also be the problem. If possible, you could try an Ethernet connection on the backup system and see if the timeouts go away.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
8.8.8.8 is a Google DNS server. A better option is to ping your router IP address. That will tell you if the problem is on your local network or outside of your network.

If this is a wifi connection, that might also be the problem. If possible, you could try an Ethernet connection on the backup system and see if the timeouts go away.
To test if its a connectivity problem to your local isp or beyond it, find the IP address of the ISP's web site, and ping it. Often you see brief periods where parts of the net drop off and come back on as routing reconfigures itself. (You could also use your ISP'd DNS server whose address would show up on windows if you type ipconfig /all in a command prompt)
Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
To test if its a connectivity problem to your local isp or beyond it, find the IP address of the ISP's web site, and ping it. Often you see brief periods where parts of the net drop off and come back on as routing reconfigures itself. (You could also use your ISP'd DNS server whose address would show up on windows if you type ipconfig /all in a command prompt)
Thanks - those are really great ideas. When I do have problems, I always feel at a loss to tell what part of the chain might be the cause. Those sound like good ways to isolate the issue somewhat.

I'll bookmark each of those IP addresses and stick them in my "Internet Troubleshooting" folder. I also have some numeric IP addresses bookmarked there, if you can reach a site by the number, but not the 'name', then you know it is a DNS issue -

www.google.com versus
74.125.225.39 or
74.125.224.72 for example.

-ERD50
Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #47

To test your LAN I would ping the gateway your router is going to. That is the first hop external to your LAN. When you log into your router look at the WAN connection info, there should be GATEWAY listed, that is where your router is sending to. For devices on your LAN your router is their gateway.

You don't know the route or how many hops pinging something like google is taking. Any one of those hops could be a problem.

Your router should also list your ISP DNS servers and there is also OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

tracert command is also useful. Had a crazy problem a few weeks ago where only certain pages would not pull up ( this site was one ) but worked fine on another ISP connection. One of upstream routers was stuck in a routing loop, the data was being sent back and forth between two routers at an upstream ISP. Nothing to do but wait for them to fix it, tracert helped identify the problem

Routing loop problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Based on some of these reccs, I played around a bit. I stored all this away in a text file for future ref, it could come in handy.

So first I did a: ping -c 5 0 ; the "0" gets directly to the wireless connection from what I understand. It showed an IP of 127.0.0.1 and the ping times were ~ 0.025mS with a very small variance - rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.017/0.025/0.033/0.008 ms

(BTW, this is all from a Linux terminal, commands and responses may be a bit different in other systems).

Then I went to speedtest.net, and that shows my IP address, and pinging that gave times of ~ 2.7 mS - rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.948/2.745/23.582/3.748 ms

Then I pinged my ISPs home-page ~ 13mS - rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 9.932/13.040/14.918/1.371 ms

Pings for other sites were typically about 25 mS (including google DNS 8.8.8.8. But the openDNS (208.67.222.222) was ~ 1/2 that, so I'll check that out again.

Now I want to find out about the servers my VOIP company uses (Phone Power), so I can check those.

-ERD50
Old 10-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So first I did a: ping -c 5 0 ; the "0" gets directly to the wireless connection from what I understand. It showed an IP of 127.0.0.1 and the ping times were ~ 0.025mS with a very small variance - rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.017/0.025/0.033/0.008 ms

-ERD50
With that command you are pinging the computer you are on. The 0 gets translated to 127.0.0.1 ( in linux ), which is localhost. This is useful for checking your network interface is actually working. "ifconfig lo" will give config info for the interface.

You can unplug your ethernet cable from the PC and pinging 127.0.0.1 will still work. It's only running on the PC itself. which is why the rtt is so small.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
With that command you are pinging the computer you are on. The 0 gets translated to 127.0.0.1 ( in linux ), which is localhost. This is useful for checking your network interface is actually working. "ifconfig lo" will give config info for the interface.

You can unplug your ethernet cable from the PC and pinging 127.0.0.1 will still work. It's only running on the PC itself. which is why the rtt is so small.
Ahhh, thanks - I'll make a note of that.

edit/add:

OK, so for my wireless router, this seems to ping my internal wireless network and back to the computer ( ~ 1.1mS):

ping -c16 192.168.1.1
--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
16 packets transmitted, 16 received, 0% packet loss, time 15015ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.072/1.109/1.158/0.039 ms

-ERD50