Join Early Retirement Today

Considerations for Moving to Texas Soon After Hurricanes
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Considerations for Moving to Texas Soon After Hurricanes

Nothing is certain yet, but it's quite possible I could be moving to Fort Worth or Austin Within 60 days.

I am starting to wonder about housing and moving truck rental post-hurricanes. I expect housing may be difficult--nigh impossible if Rita displaces many--but I'm wondering if moving trucks (U-Haul, Ryder, etc.) may be in short supply, too. Has anyone heard anything about this or have any insights?

If I do have a problem moving my stuff or having a place to put my stuff I figure I'll rent a storage unit here or there depending on the situation. But that got me wondering if storage might be in short supply since people with damaged homes may still salvage some belongings and want to store them.

I'm wondering if I should be proactive and try to rent a storage unit this week. Any thoughts?

For housing problems I'll manage to find a place to sleep with family, corporate help or coworker help depending on location.

Hopefully it won't be so bad that there won't be enough gasoline to get me, my car, some clothes and my PC down there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Considerations for Moving to Texas Soon After Hurricanes
Old 09-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #2

Pretty tough to say, but 60 days is a large enough window for things to get on the way back to normal.*
A better question for 72 hours from now.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I rented a uhaul and storage unit during the hurricane season last year in Florida and ran into a few problems. I was very lucky to get a uhaul. The owner of the busisness told me that most of his uhauls were checked out and taken to one of the storm sites. Apparently, the uhaul renters were waiting endless for the insurance adjustors to show up and were told by them that they had to stay put with the damaged goods until the adjustors showed up.
So most of the owner's trucks were going out and not coming back in.

The problem the adjustors were worried about was fraud and by making the people wait until they got there so they could actually verify the loss.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They're throwing up houses faster than you can say "interest-only mortgage" in the DFW area...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
They're throwing up houses faster than you can say "interest-only mortgage" in the DFW area...
I moved there in 1994 to take the "offer you can't refuse". It was
that way then and has never slowed since.

JG
Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It won't matter how many u-hauls and vans are in Austin or Fort Worth because you won't be loading them there. In areaas where people have moved away from that's where there is a shortage because the net flow is out.

As for storage, I think Austin and Fort Worth are so far from hurricane impacted areas that storage units should be plentiful. If my home in Houston is damaged, I'm not storing my stuff in Austin.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Austin did not get hit with anything... Houston was grazed a bit...

You should not have much problem with getting what you need... maybe a day or two wait..

I have no idea about housing, but Austin did not take in as many people as Houston, so I would think housing is available.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here's a better question because I can't find any info on it:

I will be moving back to the states in less than a year and moving to Austin. Has the Real estate market gone crazy there with two hurricanes in a row? Any info/help would be great because even "crazy" would be affordable compared to where I grew up in NY.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyetri2
I will be moving back to the states in less than a year and moving to Austin. Has the Real estate market gone crazy there with two hurricanes in a row? Any info/help would be great because even "crazy" would be affordable compared to where I grew up in NY.
It is probably a little early to know the full effect of the two (so far) storms, but I've seen only a moderate increase in the RE market in central TX. The full effect probably won't be known for a few months, but it is unlikely there would be a huge jump in prices as in NY, FL, & CA. Too many wide open spaces and too much new construction going on for that to happen IMHO.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote