Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Considering Moving to This House
Old 11-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Considering Moving to This House

We're considering moving because more and more houses are being built around ours.

Here's a house we've looked at:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18845477_zpid/

It's in the redwoods, isolated from other houses, and within easy biking distance to the small town of Trinidad.

The big disadvantages:

1. One-car garage, meaning our truck would have to sit outside in the salt air (1,000 ft from ocean).

2. Really steep driveway (We visited it after a windstorm when there was a lot of duff on the driveway. If I hadn't turned on the 4-wheel drive, we would have gotten stuck). Turning around at the top of the driveway may require a 5-point turn.

3. We would have to move (that is, not stay in our current house).

Thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks beautiful. Does it qualify for transferring your Prop 13 basis from your current residence? How sure are you that you won't have the same problems of neighbors closing in after a few years? It'd be a shame to go to the trouble of moving only to have the same issues.

Does the salt air really do a number on cars there? We're about the same distance from the ocean here and don't get salt corrosion on cars parked outside, and I haven't heard family in Mendocino complain about that either. Lighter metals, like aluminum window screen frames and such, do show pitting though.

I don't suppose ice will ever be a factor on that driveway given the proximity to the ocean, but what about trying to get up it in a heavy rainstorm? Any erosion concerns?
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

if you have identified 3 big disadvantages, I'd say NO.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The first 2 disadvantages you mention would be deal breakers for me.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #5

Listing says there are three parking places and the garage door looks like a 2 car garage. I'm sure you know because you've been there but why the difference?

You mention the disadvantages. What about the advantages? The picture of the house showing a pretty big tree looks awesome. Are you nearer the ocean? Is the town really cool? Plus, you've mentioned that you're concerned about the number of houses growing in your current location so I'm assuming this is more remote - that mush be desirable. Also, per the listing:

What I love about this home

There is a 14 by 14 kennel building that could be used as hobby or grow room.

You'd be all set.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #6

If you’re biking into town I assume you’re okay with pushing your bike back up the really steep driveway. Or are you and Lena in good enough shape to pedal up?
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
gone traveling

No pulls on the kitchen cabinets. I say no.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
How sure are you that you won't have the same problems of neighbors closing in after a few years? It'd be a shame to go to the trouble of moving only to have the same issues.
Neighbor to north is one of our favorite restaurants (Larrupin' Cafe). Lot to south is occupied, but the neighbor is far away. Just those roads on the east and west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Listing says there are three parking places and the garage door looks like a 2 car garage. I'm sure you know because you've been there but why the difference?
The garage used to be a two-car garage, but they added a downstairs bathroom that uses up that second space. It would work for a second car if it were four feet long.

Could you fit three cars at the top? Not really. IOW, the listing is misleading.

I haven't looked into Prop 13 stuff.

Owner willing to pave the driveway, but it would still be an issue.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #9

Traffic? Will you miss that ocean view?
You'd still be in the PG&E area.
Kennel will be nice when the granddog visits.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It looks dated. Something to think about.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #11

If I am following the zilliow sale info correctly it's been for sale for three years. Here in our growing town in fly over country homes sell in two weeks. I know that is fast but three years what's is the reason for that?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
With all the forest, and a lack of a fire break around the house, what is the possibility of a wildfire ?

Perhaps so close to the ocean breeze will push away fires ?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #13

Real estate is all about location, location, location... Sorry but 0/3 for this one considering where it is and how much they are asking.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
If I am following the zilliow sale info correctly it's been for sale for three years. Here in our growing town in fly over country homes sell in two weeks. I know that is fast but three years what's is the reason for that?
It's worse than that... clicking the More History, it's been On/Off/On/Off/On/etc./etc. the market since fall of 2015! 4 years! Off the market just a short time, then back On again, repeating.

T-Al, do you really want a two-story house? (at your age? I don't have one at mine)

Can an ambulance make it up that hill? (reminded of the Benny Hill skit... The Dr. on house call reassures the beautiful young wife that her husband the old geezer will pull through, then, as he leaves the sick room, mutters to himself "I don't know how we'll get a coffin down these stairs!")
Would a fire department bother to respond?

For me, it would be an absolute NO. But, I'm not you, I can't toot a note
Old 11-30-2019, 03:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

That's a lot of money for such few square feet. But of course, it's California.

I'm moving right now, and appalled at how much stuff we've accumulated. Such a place wouldn't work for us.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

1. Is there room on the lot to build a detached garage for the truck and additional storage?
2. Buy 4WD. AWD vehicles, but then you have visitors.
3. Hire movers.

Nice house. I like the kitchen cabinets... cherry? I would live with the doors but might add pulls. Also, the dishwasher on the left of the kitchen sink would bug me but I might get used to it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Great advice.

>Visitors
Yes, excellent point. I can clearly see someone with poor driving skills having a major problem.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Falling Redwood Debris. Check the roof in the dog kennel photo.

I'd like to stay there for a few weeks vacation each year. It is beautiful.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

About 25 years ago we bought and extensively remodeled what we still expect to be our final house. We are on a slight hill about 50' from the Mississippi river in our back yard. It's beautiful. The house is all on one level. Interior doorways are 36" or 30." No doorknobs, only L-handles. Just two steps up gets someone into the house and there is an easy way to add a wheelchair ramp.

As I watch DW wheel her walker around after a knee replacement two weeks ago, I am very pleased with the decisions we made back then.

How will your candidate house work for a person using a walker or a wheelchair or for someone with badly arthritic hands? Is there a private bedroom/bath that a care attendant could use? Is it feasible to add grab rails wherever they might be needed? If the answers to these and similar questions are not all positive then it's the wrong choice for an aging couple.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
How will your candidate house work for a person using a walker or a wheelchair or for someone with badly arthritic hands? Is there a private bedroom/bath that a care attendant could use? Is it feasible to add grab rails wherever they might be needed? If the answers to these and similar questions are not all positive then it's the wrong choice for an aging couple.
These were my thoughts, as well.

Al, this house looks great for you right NOW.... but unless you enjoy moving, I'd suggest looking for a house that will be great for you for the next 20 years or so.

My Dream Home already had been modified to be appropriate for older ages. The house and yard are both very "easy care" now that I have had the yard re-landscaped. It's just a mile or two from a great hospital and medical corridor. These are the kind of features that I think will be helpful to me as I (hopefully!) grow older.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote