Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any new or changed files get automatically backed up each night to an external hard drive. Also the main spreadsheet with all of our financial data is automatically saved to onedrive. This can be accessed and changed from anywhere.

This kind of stuff is getting less important as I get older as any data I need is available on the internet.

Can't really think of anything I would miss except photos (and maybe music).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can anyone recommend a VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND backup program for doing a non-encrypted backup and then incremental backups added to your already saved documents. I want to be able to have Password Protection though. I don't want it encrypted because I want to be able to see the files and locate what I'm looking for. This would be to a new USB 2 TB external drive I just bought.

Actually I have three different older computers that I want to be able to backup stuff from on one designated new external hard drive. I guess I need to make three different folders for each computer's data that I'm backing up. But how will that work with my current computer and making incremental backups of the new stuff put on the current day computer I work on each day? And can you make incremental backups of files not encrypted?

Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Can anyone recommend a VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND backup program for doing a non-encrypted backup and then incremental backups added to your already saved documents. I want to be able to have Password Protection though. I don't want it encrypted because I want to be able to see the files and locate what I'm looking for. This would be to a new USB 2 TB external drive I just bought.

Actually I have three different older computers that I want to be able to backup stuff from on one designated new external hard drive. I guess I need to make three different folders for each computer's data that I'm backing up. But how will that work with my current computer and making incremental backups of the new stuff put on the current day computer I work on each day? And can you make incremental backups of files not encrypted?
I think you would be looking for a sync tool versus a backup. A file sync will initially copy all of the selected files, then next time will update ones that have changed.

There is a free opensource one here, FreeFileSync | Free Security & Utilities software downloads at SourceForge.net

Microsoft has one called synctoy ( not as robust ) Download SyncToy 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center
Old 05-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1

I have used a similar freeware called SyncBackFree. It's what I use to make archival copies of my photos and MP3, by copying from networked file servers to stand-alone USB drives that I can squirrel away.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #25

Home made backup program:

Open notepad and type:
xcopy "c:\foldertobackup\*.*" "\\nameofbackupdrive\backupfolder\" /d/y/s

Save with .bat extension and put in scheduled tasks.

This is extremely fast and will copy new or changed files. Has worked flawlessly for years for me.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #26

I use Time Machine on my Mac laptop to backup to an external HD for Trombone Al's #1 & #3 scenarios (used about 4 times in the last 5 years). Now that HDs are so large and cheap, I also backup to DH's external HD (on his Windows machine) using CrashPlan (free backups to other computers, paid backups to their cloud service). DH rotates his two HD's to our bank safe deposit box so this covers scenario #2.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #27

Mine's pretty bad too. I use two external hard drives, one WD "Smartdrive" that continuously backs up new and changed files, and another, usually disconnected, that I back up to ~weekly. Additionally, Quicken files are backed up to a USB flash drive kept in a drawer.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #28

I use SmartSync Pro to sync files between systems and to maintain backup copies on NAS. We use Acronis for daily system backups to a second disk (weekly full, then incrementals). Critical files are SmartSync'd frequently to thumbdrive that I could grab and go in an emergency. I make complete system copies every six months and rotate them to a safe deposit box. The Synergy NAS has two mirrored drives.

We've begun to use Dropbox some to share docs with tablet and smart phones.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Lately, after looking at the files I have accumulated electronically over the years, I am wondering why I am keeping several Gigabytes of fairly ussless historical records. I am pondering lighting up a new Win 7 box to replace the XP one I am currently using and looking at what I should load on the new box vs. what's on this 7 year old custom build.

Maybe it's time to evaluate storage of files vs. dumping many?
I definitely have several GB of files that could be deleted. But given how cheap memory storage is, I've decided it wasn't worth the time to figure out what needs to be deleted and instead keep everything.

On a different note, does anybody use the built in "time machine" function in windows? I remember setting this up on my father-in-law's computer through the control panel but since I'm personally on mac I don't know how this compares to other offerings.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
On a different note, does anybody use the built in "time machine" function in windows? I remember setting this up on my father-in-law's computer through the control panel but since I'm personally on mac I don't know how this compares to other offerings.
It has been there in windows for a while, with different names. XP has shadow copy services, in 7 there is "previous versions" and now 8 calls it "File History". Access is from control panel.
How to Use Windows 8's New File History Backup (aka Time Machine for Windows)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I think you would be looking for a sync tool versus a backup. A file sync will initially copy all of the selected files, then next time will update ones that have changed.

There is a free opensource one here, FreeFileSync | Free Security & Utilities software downloads at SourceForge.net

Microsoft has one called synctoy ( not as robust ) Download SyncToy 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Thank you rbmrtn for the recommendation. Yes, the sync program was the type of program I was looking for. I downloaded it last night. Tried to find some tutorials on YouTube, but they were pretty sucky. Not sure about making that "batch file". Need to learn what that is.

Sure wish someone would make a more sensible video that you could actually follow. They zip through them like lightning and you can't see where they are clicking or what they just did.

Also RetireAge50. Thanks for the notepad infor. Can you further explain the \" /d/y/s
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Can you further explain the \" /d/y/s
Those are command line switches for the xcopy command. The switches tell xcopy how it should handle things.

XCOPY help

Command Line Switches for the XCOPY Command
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I put this batch file on several USB drives. It's called

BackupToHere.bat
Code:
cd \
if exist \photosbackup rd \photosbackup /s /q
md \PhotosBackup
cd \photosBackup
xcopy /e c:\photos\*.* .
rem
if exist \DocumentsBackup rd \DocumentsBackup /s /q
md \DocumentsBackup
cd \DocumentsBackup
xcopy /e "C:\Documents and Settings\Al\My Documents" .  
rem
if exist \itunesappsbackup rd \itunesappsbackup /s /q
md \itunesappsBackup
cd \itunesappsBackup
xcopy /e "c:\itunes\Mobile Applications\*.*" .

pause
and I have an autorun.inf like this:

Code:
[autorun]
open=BackupToHere.bat
action=Run Backup Program
icon=BackupToHere.bat
label=My Portable PC
For a while, I could just plug that USB drive into the computer and walk away, and it would handle everything.

Then Microsoft decided it was too dangerous to allow things to run automatically, so now I have to actually execute the batch file manually.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I agree with that philosophy, but I figure that there are three uses for backups:

1. Backups in case your hard drive or equipment fails
2. Backups in case your house burns down
3. Backups in case you delete a file or folder by mistake, or because you mistakenly thought you'd never need it again.

Types 1 and 2 are most important, but type 3 is the most common, and works fine with same-hard-drive backups.

I prepare for type 1, which I don't think has ever happened to me.

I prepare for type 2, which happened to me once.

I prepare for type 3, which has happened perhaps 50 times.

The advantage of the same-drive backup is that it is very fast and convenient.

Now to do some fake Bing searches so that I can earn enough points to get 100 GB of OneDrive storage.
Do you check your recycle bin for the accidentally deleted file? If you don't flush your recycle bin files can stay there for a long time.

#1 is something that will probably happen to more people than not in their lifetime, unless you tend to replace laptops fairly regularly. And #1 and #2 are devastating if you haven't backed data up elsewhere, while #3 seems to me that it would be more of a "I wish I still had that picture" kind of thing, unless you are really careless with your deleting.

I would also add case #4, or case #1.5, where your laptop is stolen or lost.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

An example of type 3: When writing my book, I needed access to the high-res original photos from our trip of five years ago. All the DVD backups are stored on spindles, so it's easy to got back to the relevant date.

Actually, I have a separate backup system for photos. When a camera's card is full, I copy the raw, unedited photos to DVD and store it. That way I can go back to any photo I've taken in the last 14 years.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I recommend Backup Maker. It's free and does all the things you want.

Software für Backup, Synchronisation, Datenlöschung & Tuning

I've been using it for years, and I've set it up to backup my documents to the cloud drive every Saturday.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #37

I currently use crashplan which is a paid cloud based service. It automatically backs up files as they change (incremental). You can also use crashplan free to do the same thing on another computer that you (or a friend owns). The program runs in the background and is very light on resources. After the initial backup that can run for a day or so ( you continue to use your computer), I haven't noticed it running.

Mozy is another good service. It used to have 2GB for free and that may work for some. My photographs started taking up more and more space, and mozy became too expensive for me. Crashplan does not have a size limit.

So far, I haven't had a catastrophic drive failure, but have needed to go to previous versions of files - and it worked flawlessly.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #38

Quote:

My new laptop has a huge drive with lots of space I don't need. I also have access to cloud storage (OneDrive) totaling 100 GBytes.

Before I decide on a new backup scheme, anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Al,

Don't fix what isn't broken. If you don't need the new space, repartition your new hard drive so that your new C: drive is the same size as your old one. Leave the rest of the drive unpartitioned for now.

That way, you can use your old backup scheme without modification. You will also tend to live within the constraints of whatever partition size that you setup -- bottom line is less data to manage going forward.

-gauss
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Here is a link to a photo on my SkyDrive (now OneDrive):

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.jpg

Concerning security: Can you access it, and are you able to access any other things on my drive?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Here is a link to a photo on my SkyDrive (now OneDrive):

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.jpg

Concerning security: Can you access it, and are you able to access any other things on my drive?
I was able to access it and download it. I tried to tag it and it wouldn't let me. It said "1 of 1" and I poked around to see if I could find something else with no luck (it just kept asking me to sign in with my own id, which I don't have).

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote