Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
The boot function is done by the BIOS and bootloader, so any version of windows can boot from a supported hardware device. On many PCs F12 will bring up the boot menu during BIOS load and it allows the boot device to be specified ...
OK, I recalled references to needing 'pro' or 'enterprise' versions to do that, but I don't work much in Windows, so I could be off on that.

I really thought it was an anti-piracy thing, that each installation got 'locked' to some hardware?

Quote:
I don't think superduper is doing anything with the boot portion. It's simply cloning the drive. It appears maybe apple boot loader is detecting any bootable device on the fly and allowing it the boot menu ?
I'm not sure how they do it, but it sure seems to be on the fly - I also don't think SuperDuper! does any kind of boot loader manipulation, and whatever they do, I wish Ubuntu would do it the same way!

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rbmrtn - thanks for the links to cloning programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, I recalled references to needing 'pro' or 'enterprise' versions to do that, but I don't work much in Windows, so I could be off on that.
I found a detailed page that describes exactly what I would like to do (clone to an external USB drive and then be able to boot from that USB drive):

Windows 8: Clone it and run it from an USB drive

It doesn't mention anything about a pro version of windows being required but the process appears *very* complicated.

I love the warning: "There are some dangerous modifications of the computer system, that may destroy (not only) your Windows installation and data, if you make an error."

Edit: I was reading through the explanations column and it says "Windows is not designed to boot from USB drives. (Only Windows 8 Enterprise has this feature Windows To Go". I think this means if you have Win8 enterprise, it would be easy -- otherwise you have to use the detailed process.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I found a detailed page that describes exactly what I would like to do (clone to an external USB drive and then be able to boot from that USB drive):

Windows 8: Clone it and run it from an USB drive

It doesn't mention anything about a pro version of windows being required but the process appears *very* complicated.

I love the warning: "There are some dangerous modifications of the computer system, that may destroy (not only) your Windows installation and data, if you make an error."
Yea, that seems overly complicated. Here is better one that is simple, How to Run a Portable Version of Windows from a USB Drive. It makes use of a tool called WintoUSB.

The warnings are standard when editing the registry.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reading through this thread makes me appreciate time machine on the Mac. I was a long time MS person (in a prior life I worked on Windows) and I was always having to tweak stuff to make it work right.

I bought a Mac mini a few years ago thinking I might do some iOS development and over time, it's become our primary computer. This happened because the apps that ship in MacOS are actually decent and not an after thought as they are with Windows. For example, I had a bunch of home videos to import and couldn't make it work with my camera and Windows. In order to make it work, I'd have to download a 3rd party app which didn't export to mpeg4. With the Mac, I plugged in the camera and was immediately importing video.

And in the scope of this thread, there's time machine, which gives me a local backup by plugging in an external drive. I also periodically create an encrypted disk image with my documents that I can backup to the cloud. All built in to the OS.

I guess as I get older, I just want stuff to work with as little hassle as possible.