Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They sound like custom cabs, the guy was out to measure.

I don't like 100% up front either.

I would offer 50% up front 50% on delivery.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
She doesn't mention that these are custom cabinets in the OP anywhere that I can see. .
I came to that conclusion based on this:

Quote:
I've been working with the company's designer for about two months. We've exchanged many e-mails and have met twice; once she came to my house to measure.
OP is working direct with a rep from the manufacturer it seems. I'm under the impression that OP is not getting the cabinets through a remodeling contractor. If that's not the case, if these are only semi-custom, of course my opinion of the situation would change. Maybe OP can clarify.

In any case, either the manufacturer will do the job and provide the product based on a deposit rather than full payment, if OP insists, or not. If he won't, then OP can walk and go to one of the other manufacturers she mentioned.

OP, how custom are your cabinets? Truly custom by design and measurement to fit your requirements and needs? Or, simply a catalog cabinet, with minor size and feature changes, that isn't manufactured until ordered?

Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I interpreted it differently... typically they will measure the room that the cabinets are going in and then select stock cabinet sizes to property fit the space.... that's my experience anyway.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I interpreted it differently... typically they will measure the room that the cabinets are going in and then select stock cabinet sizes to property fit the space.... that's my experience anyway.
OK. Well, maybe OP will clarify. Obviously there's a world of difference between what you put down to have a stock catalog item delivered and what you put down to have a custom item, unique to you, manufactured. And that seems to be up in the air right now.

If the designer measured, as you say, just to be able to pick stock items from a catalog, then 100% up front is out of line.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #25

I have advised a concert hall that ordered a custom made lift from an installation company. Payment upfront. 200k. Said company goes bankrupt, money gone, no lift.

Turns out the order for the lift (to be installed and customized) never was placed at the supplier of the installation company. Seems they knew they would go bankrupt.

So, no, not 100%, ever. In that 100% is also included their profit margin!

Other options than others have mentioned: You can offer escrow, or you can offer to pay for raw materials as they show invoices for them. Or you buy the materials directly. Have it deliver to their shop.

Best to start the discussion and ask why they want the money upfront. If they are afraid you'll leave them with worthless custom materials (bail out on the project) like youbet said, that can be solved. Share your own concern with them running off with shoddy work. A smart business owner will show empathy and work it out.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We just did a full kitchen remodel, with stock cabinets (we just picked wood tones, accessories, etc.). But the contractor still insisted on measuring before ordering to be sure. And the granite contractor wouldn't proceed until the cabinets were in place, and they could measure for themselves. The contractor told me they had customer they went back and forth with for 2 years before the project actually started, so the OP's 2 months may not be that unusual. We took about 6 weeks finalizing before the work could start.

I may be wrong, but I think that's pretty standard, custom cabinets or not...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #27

I had custom made brookhaven/woodmode in two kitchen remodels and never paid for 100% of the cabinets until they were installed.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

You mean that your contractor provided their own working capital and didn't seek to use you as their bank?
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #29

Thanks for all your replies. These are a national brand of custom cabinets ordered through a local distributor who caters mainly to contractors but also individuals. I am doing the remodeling myself, acting as the GC and working mainly with my fabulous handyman. I am simply purchasing the cabinets through this distributor.

The update is I told the designer I've been working with that I balked at the 100%, and she said she'd speak with the owner and "no doubt" he'd allow me either 50-50 (50% up front; 50% at conclusion) or 80-20. I expect to hear back today. Their local competitor, who I also looked into, was 80-20. I could live with that: I just want some type of leverage at the end. Because they work with new build and contractors, the designer stated, the plans for those guys are often so uncertain that the 100% up front is expected. I think I do understand this.

The cabinets take 6-8 weeks to arrive. They are inset, so that feature always takes a bit longer to make since it is fussier to get right. It is a small kitchen; the cabinet bill will be about $12,000. which is actually pretty good for the quality and features we are getting. The project starts on May 31 and I hope we be completed by the end of July at the latest. It is not a gut project but a new hardwood floor is going in which will take some time to install and finish. There's some wall and ceiling work, light fixtures, countertops--this kind of project takes a lot of organizing. But I can't wait to get it going.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #30

Sounds like an arrangement can be made.

Let us know what you agreed with in the end
Old 04-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #31

Consumer Question: Paying 100% Up Front

Wouldn't do it... Your instincts are your best friend.
When the cabinets arrive and are uncrated, inspected and given the thumbs up then I'll be happy to pay.

If you absolutely decide to do it - pay with a credit card it will add a level of protection.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

100% of the material cost up front, and pay the labor on an as you go basis. This allows the company to get the goods without being out of pocket in case you back out.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We have employed many contractors over the past 3 years; none would take a credit card without adding at least 3%, and some wouldn't take one at all. Maybe for some people, the 3% would be worth it knowing the card company would be on your side if you got stiffed.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think pb4uski's suggestion is good. I would also want to pay by credit card so as to have some protection afterward.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We are having custom cabinets put into a condo we plan to sell, and were asked to pay $6000 up front and the other $6000 on delivery. Those were the terms and we thought they were fair.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
100% of the material cost up front, and pay the labor on an as you go basis. This allows the company to get the goods without being out of pocket in case you back out.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

And that is why you are a successful landlord, and some of the rest of us...aren't.

QUOTE=Senator;1719000]T Installed by me... Less than $1,500 for the entire kitchen, including counter tops.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

As others have said, paying contractor cost of materials is reasonable. There is no incentive for the contractor to do the work, finish the job, not jack you around on schedules and having a torn up kitchen for months, meet code issues or whatever when they have all the money up front. And this assumes they are a legitimate company on solid financial footing. Every scam company would try to do what they propose. There are too many honest companies around. I would get as much product information from them but would not do business with them at the point you are at, even with only half down. Alarms are deafening loud.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
As others have said, paying contractor cost of materials is reasonable. There is no incentive for the contractor to do the work, finish the job, not jack you around on schedules and having a torn up kitchen for months, meet code issues or whatever when they have all the money up front. And this assumes they are a legitimate company on solid financial footing. Every scam company would try to do what they propose. There are too many honest companies around. I would get as much product information from them but would not do business with them at the point you are at, even with only half down. Alarms are deafening loud.
You may have missed OP's update. OP is the general contractor. The only item being negotiated is the terms of purchase of the cabinets.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I would never pay upfront. This company might have the best reviews and a good BBB rating but things happen everyday with companies where they fold or file bankruptcy.

Years ago we needed to get our windows replaced before we put our house on the market and our realtor recommended an individual. He would be replacing about 10 windows and he wanted 50% down before he started the job. There was no way I was going to give him 50% down as an individual who did it on the side (he was also very old which was another story). We sat there in the kitchen and I told him I would not pay upfront. He didn't like it. I didn't budge. He replaced the windows and I paid him after the job was completed.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I missed the update.

I am waiting for cabinet pieces to arrive from my kitches demo and reno. Custom cabinets received but all shelves were missing, drawer sliders were bent, bearings are missing, 3 of 6 drawers have damaged faces, one was installed crooked and skewed. This was from a quality brand. After 5 weeks, everything that was screwed up was re-ordered again yesterday.

Terms were 45% down, 45% at mid, and 10% final.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #40

I have put down 25-50% for cabinets, vanities, etc.