Join Early Retirement Today

contact lens solution recall
Old 05-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
contact lens solution recall

http://tinyurl.com/2bnooe
(nytimes.com)

A contact lens solution manufacturer voluntarily withdrew one of its products yesterday after federal health officials said an investigation had linked it to a rare but potentially blinding eye infection.
Customers were advised to immediately stop using the solution, AMO Complete Moisture Plus Multi-Purpose Solution. The solution, used to clean and store soft contact lenses, is made by Advanced Medical Optics of Santa Ana, Calif.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Makes me shiver.

Although contacts appeal to many, glasses suit my risk profile. I just can't stand the thought of something in/on my eye.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Makes me shiver.

Although contacts appeal to many, glasses suit my risk profile. I just can't stand the thought of something in/on my eye.
I absolutely adore contacts because I can SEE so well with them. For some reason they make a huge difference to me. I can't seem to adjust to anything but soft contacts for any length of time, but I do wonderfully with soft contacts from my point of view. I can wear them from the time I wake up, to the time I go to bed, with no problems that I can detect. I would pay almost anything for that privilege because being able to see so well enhances my life more than one can imagine.

However, my optometrist said I suffered from "over-wearing syndrome" after wearing soft contacts for a year, so he won't prescribe them for me any more. (I thought I was doing marvelously.) So anyway, now I have to wear glasses and feel half blind, which I truly hate. I feel handicapped without my contacts. He would prescribe oxygen permeable but I struggled with them for months before he gave up and prescribed the soft contacts to begin with. I just can't seem to wear oxygen permeable.

Getting back to the topic - - every now and then there is a warning about some sort of contact lens solution. If I was wearing contacts I would definitely heed such a warning and throw out any suspect solution. But to me it is worth the risk. I always bought the highest quality solution that my optometrist recommended to me and followed all of his directives.

Gosh, I miss my contacts and I miss SEEING that well, so much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had lenses permanently implanted a year ago so I now have 20-20 vision after years of glasses or contacts . It is wonderful to see without glasses or contacts .
Old 05-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I had lenses permanently implanted a year ago so I now have 20-20 vision after years of glasses or contacts . It is wonderful to see without glasses or contacts .
I am truly happy for you! That must be wonderful.

As for me, logical or not, anybody coming anywhere near my eyes with a scalpel or other sharp implement would have a battle on his hands. Maybe someday.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

One of these days I may get up the guts to do Lasik, but only if I have enough money to get it done at the eye institute at the local teaching hospital (they were one of the first in the country to do the procedure)--There are certain things that I do NOT bargain shop for.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian View Post
One of these days I may get up the guts to do Lasik, but only if I have enough money to get it done at the eye institute at the local teaching hospital (they were one of the first in the country to do the procedure)--There are certain things that I do NOT bargain shop for.
I'm pretty gutsy but when they put the microscope over me I got a little spooked.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I had the eye physical for Lasik, but my corneas are "too thin" so I couldn't have it. I am very near sighted and the one misgiving I had when considering Lasik was that I wouldn't have good vision up close. Without glasses or contacts I can see to thread a needle, pick out a splinter, read tiny print, etc about 3 inches from the end of my nose.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I also got very nearsighted as I aged .I had to take off my glasses to read and start IV's (I'm an RN).All this off and on with the glasses drove me crazy so I went for lasik. I also was turned down because of cataracts so I opted for Cataract surgery(yes even younger people can get cataracts ) with monovision lens implants ( one eye for close and one eye for distance ).I've had great results .
Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Administrator

My optometrist has suggested Lasik surgery for me. Interesting that he would say that, considering that I have needed my prescription "tweaked" every two or three years. I wonder about his motivations. I am not convinced that surgery would correct my vision with any degree of permanence.

Of course this is still hypothetical, since I would never allow it.

- - H. Melville, 1851