Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
BTW, my squash plant died:-((( Keeled over and wilted in just a half day. I suspect squash vine borers. A lot of my local friends have lost their squash plants, so it seems to be something regional.
My squash plant is showing possible signs of recovery today. I am now thinking I might have over-fertilized it. I gave it the same amount of fertilizer as my tomatoes (2 in a tub) and cucumbers (4 in a tub), whereas it is only one squash plant in a tub. Duh. I flushed it with water yesterday, plus it rained last night, and it is showing some unwilted nice green leaves today...keeping my fingers crossed.

On a side note, I did not know that with container gardening you need to fertilize with liquid fertilizer on a weekly basis. According to the book I am reading, container plants need more fertilizer because you are flushing the nutrients out with each watering. Since I started fertilizing a few weeks ago, my harvest has almost doubled, it seems. It's a learning process, though, to figure out how much to fertilize without overdoing it...apparently, LOL.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's the tomato variety you planted? It's pretty robust in it's production!

BTW, my squash plant died:-((( Keeled over and wilted in just a half day. I suspect squash vine borers. A lot of my local friends have lost their squash plants, so it seems to be something regional.
Bummer about your squash.

I bought 2 individual container tomato plants at Lowe's for $3.50 each. The one I showed in the closeup pic here is Patio FASt, a determinant type
Bonnie Plants Varieties - Vegetable Plants and Herb Plants Gardeners Trust

the other one is Bush Goliath VFN, also a determinant type

The Roma tomatoes were grown from seed indoors under my grow light setup.
Each tomato container has 2 Job's tomato stakes and lots of compost mixed into the soil-less mix.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My squash plant is showing possible signs of recovery today. I am now thinking I might have over-fertilized it. I gave it the same amount of fertilizer as my tomatoes (2 in a tub) and cucumbers (4 in a tub), whereas it is only one squash plant in a tub. Duh. I flushed it with water yesterday, plus it rained last night, and it is showing some unwilted nice green leaves today...keeping my fingers crossed.

On a side note, I did not know that with container gardening you need to fertilize with liquid fertilizer on a weekly basis. According to the book I am reading, container plants need more fertilizer because you are flushing the nutrients out with each watering. Since I started fertilizing a few weeks ago, my harvest has almost doubled, it seems. It's a learning process, though, to figure out how much to fertilize without overdoing it...apparently, LOL.
I've done exactly the same thing in my regular garden in past years, using a Miracle Grow fertlizer sprayer. This is why I use Osmocote pelletized slow release fertilizer or Job's plant spikes for tomatoes in the larger round containers (not Earthboxes). When the pellets disappear, I add more right on the surface but not touching the plant stem. You can get good sales on fertilizer in late season to use next year.

I'm using the fertilizer provided with the Earthbox and not adding any more.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm, that's not in the "official" Earthbox instructions and I've never read it anywhere. It doesn't sound right, either. Earthbox recommends "regular" granulated fertilizer buried in strips very near the top of the container, right under the plastic. The moist soil (water from the bottom, from the resevoir) dissolves these granules over time, so they last the whole growing season. Most of what I've read agrees with this--no use of Osmocote or other slow-release fertilizers needed.
In your source, to where do they say the nutrients get "flushed?" I could understand that in plants put in a regular garden, but the self-watering containers can't lose nutrients except maybe to be dissolved into the reservoir--which gets re-exposed to the potting soil each time you fill up the reservoir. The only stuff leaving the container "system" is leaving by evaporation.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Bummer about your squash.

I bought 2 individual container tomato plants at Lowe's for $3.50 each. The one I showed in the closeup pic here is Patio FASt, a determinant type
Ah, determinate - that's why you have so many all at once!

Quote:
I've done exactly the same thing in my regular garden in past years, using a Miracle Grow fertlizer sprayer. This is why I use Osmocote pelletized slow release fertilizer or Job's plant spikes for tomatoes. When the pellets disappear, I add more right on the surface but not touching the plant stem. You can get good sales on fertilizer in late season to use next year.
I do use osmocote slow release, but the container gardening book recommended liquid fertilizer as well. The osmocote really didn't give it the kick of growth like the liquid did. For now, I am going to keep experimenting with the liquid fertilizer - but more carefully!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Hmm, that's not in the "official" Earthbox instructions and I've never read it anywhere. It doesn't sound right, either. Earthbox recommends "regular" granulated fertilizer buried in strips very near the top of the container, right under the plastic. The moist soil (water from the bottom, from the resevoir) dissolves these granules over time, so they last the whole growing season. Most of what I've read agrees with this--no use of Osmocote or other slow-release fertilizers needed.
In your source, to where do they say the nutrients get "flushed?" I could understand that in plants put in a regular garden, but the self-watering containers can't lose nutrients except maybe to be dissolved into the reservoir--which gets re-exposed to the potting soil each time you fill up the reservoir. The only stuff leaving the container "system" is leaving by evaporation.
Hmmm..that's true. My source is Amazon.com: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers (9780761116233): Rose Marie Nichols McGee, Maggie Stuckey: Books. I suspect that they were writing it for normal containers, not self-watering, now that I think about it. Hmmm....didn't think about that! Thanks!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

I have read that if a leaf is damaged by pests or is yellowing, snip it off immediately, cutting very close to the main stem, to prevent the plant from trying to "save it" or to control leaf born diseases and/or get rid of any insect eggs deposited on the underside. If the plant is still healthy, it will grow new foliage to replace the damaged ones.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #148

Quote:
I have read that if a leaf is damaged by pests or is yellowing, snip it off immediately, cutting very close to the main stem, to prevent the plant from trying to "save it" or to control leaf born diseases and/or get rid of any insect eggs deposited on the underside. If the plant is still healthy, it will grow new foliage to replace the damaged ones.
I've already snipped off all the dead stuff - didn't know to snip it close to the main stem though - thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've already snipped off all the dead stuff - didn't know to snip it close to the main stem though - thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Hope it recovers. If possible, get it out of the hot sun but still in bright light until it springs back.
I just planted my remaining Earthbox with more sugar snap peas, and some baby radishes in a 6" deep windowbox. The heat wave should be over by the time they are growing to full height.
I will use an expandable metal pea fence (on hand) to support the peas when they come up.
http://www.gardeners.com/Expandable-...efault,cp.html
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Took some time to read the FAQ's on the earthbox site. Very helpful - thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm afraid it's too late now to add the fertilizer strip (would hate to disrupt the root system?), but I definitely will be following these tips for next year. Also, they offer other good tips as well.

FAQ | EarthBox

Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

I picked another 6" cucumber today, making my total harvest = 4, all during this week.
Uh oh...these cuke vines are beginning to take on the "zucchini syndrome", dozens of flowers and all producing a teeny cuke every few days. It may be time to dig out that refrigerator pickle recipe.
If we get sick of eating them overwhelmed in the next few weeks, the extras will be given to the Legion morning coffee dudes.
Sugar snap peas are forming blossoms by the dozen with a few tiny pods formed. I have been picking filet beans at a slower rate. I feel a shrimp and veggie stir fry coming on.
Ripe tomatoes are still weeks away. I bought 2 tomatoes from the grocery store and was unimpressed with the price and the flavor. Not much longer until I taste a REAL tomato.
All in all, I am happy with the container gardening results. The Eboxes were expensive, but the enjoyment and the fresh pesticide free produce I am getting is well worth every dollar spent.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #152

Quote:
All in all, I am happy with the container gardening results. The Eboxes were expensive, but the enjoyment and the fresh pesticide free produce I am getting is well worth every dollar spent.
YUM and yay for your success! We have tons of cucumbers, but so far, no trouble consuming them. We love salads and have started using the cucumbers in place of lettuce. Yummy!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
YUM and yay for your success! We have tons of cucumbers, but so far, no trouble consuming them. We love salads and have started using the cucumbers in place of lettuce. Yummy!
Ah, you just reminded me of a Greek country salad I had when I was there in 1996. It is essentially chopped cukes, onions and tomato chunks, all marinated in olive oil and spices, with Feta cheese and kalamata olives added at serving time.

I found a version online
http://www.mediterrasian.com/delicio...reek_salad.htm

How are you using the cukes? sliced or chopped ?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #154

Quote:
Ah, you just reminded me of a Greek country salad I had when I was there in 1996. It is essentially chopped cukes, onions and tomato chunks, all marinated in olive oil and spices, with Feta cheese and kalamata olives added at serving time.

I found a version online
Greek salad recipe - MediterrAsian.com

That salad looks yummy! Might have to get me some feta cheese. And I sooo love kalamata olives. Thanks for the inspiration!

We are slicing the cuc's. We switch up the versions - usually the staples of cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions - vary the dressings. Often add chopped fresh basil from the garden with some EVOO and balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar to mix it up. Also often add fresh garlic and black olives. Or, just basic blue cheese dressing.

Tuna, egg, or chicken salad on cucumbers is a great little snack - and no extra calories from crackers or bread this way.

Tonight I used our thai basil with the veggie mix, added rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and chopped peanuts for an asian version of the salad. Keeps it different and salad continues to be interesting and yummy.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #155
Full time employment: Posting here.

good old english cucumber sandwiches are great too. just google for recipes if needed
Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

After a 4 day hiatus from the board...

Great cuke ideas. TY

So far I have simply sliced them 1/4" thick, with skin on, and marinated them for a day in basic Italian dressing. We love them as a side dish for dinner.

I have harvested almost a dozen cukes to date. The vines show no sign of giving up, grown to over 5' tall now. More and more flowers keep appearing on a daily basis.
The "zucchini syndrome" continues....

Filet beans are coming in gangbusters. Peas are right behind them.
There is nothing like a sugar snap pea or bean, picked fresh and eaten raw as a snack.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #157

Quote:

I found a version online
Greek salad recipe - MediterrAsian.com

I made this salad substituting Zucchini for the cucumber as I have a surplus of Zucchini. I cubed the Zucchini and used a lot more onion. Very good but may have been better with cucumber. Was better the second day. They were some of my first garden tomatoes and a few from the containers.

Free Zucchini at my place.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
I made this salad substituting Zucchini for the cucumber as I have a surplus of Zucchini. I cubed the Zucchini and used a lot more onion. Very good but may have been better with cucumber. Was better the second day. They were some of my first garden tomatoes and a few from the containers.

Free Zucchini at my place.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I let the mixture (minus the feta cheese and olives) marinate for at least a day. Add the feta cheese and olives at serving time, only to what you will consume that day. Otherwise the cheese gets icky, and the olives lose their own flavor.

Zucchini and cucumber party at Bruce's. I'll bring the cukes.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

We just had 4 ripe tomatoes from 1 of the bush tomato varieties, sliced with salt and pepper. Wow! There are 4 more that are just about ripe. Baked stuffed tomatoes, Greek style, are in our near future. wooooo
Beans continuing to be harvested, cukes STILL going insane, and sugar snap peas Part I are delivering small "pop in your mouth" harvests each week. The sugar snap peas Part II in the Earthbox are growing like crazy but no blossoms yet.
I am freezing fresh oregano with every trim job. Still waiting on those garlic scapes. I moved my green onions and Italian parsley into my indoor 10 gal aquarium with the grow light. It was too hot outside for both of them.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #160

Help I am trapped under the zucchini and squash plants. Bushels of tomatoes in my future