Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
FYI, I've read some good things about the Vizio M-Series; it uses a local dimming full array LED backlight. This yields better contrast and black levels than most edge lit LED/LCD displays. I'm considering a 43" version for our bedroom.

Good review of the 65" version here.
Thank you, I have some more reading to do.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

what is the budget? I looked at some of those TVs and they cost more than my 3 LGs combined
Old 02-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
what is the budget? I looked at some of those TVs and they cost more than my 3 LGs combined
The Visio is $1299 and Samsung is $1979. I could spend more, but would like to keep it under $2K.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We got Samsung 4G 75" on black Friday for $2300 at Costco. Love it
Callitaday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got a Vizio M70 from Costco at Thanksgiving and so far so good.

Check here for good deals:

http://slickdeals.net/deals/tv/
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a buddy that sells tvs for a big box retailer and he told me to stay away from visios
Did he say why? I have two Visio HDTVs... a 47" and a 32" and they have been solid. In fact, I keep hoping that the 47" will die so I can justify getting a bigger/nicer/newer HDTV but it just keep on ticking. We bought them about a year or two apart about 8-9 years ago.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Did he say why? I have two Visio HDTVs... a 47" and a 32" and they have been solid. In fact, I keep hoping that the 47" will die so I can justify getting a bigger/nicer/newer HDTV but it just keep on ticking. We bought them about a year or two apart about 8-9 years ago.
As I understand it, early on, Vizio had a poor reputation for having a relatively short warranty period and not having good service channels. Therefore, their TVs were basically disposable because they were not repairable. However, these days, this seems to be true for most consumer electronics. I also think Vizio has improved considerably over the past few years.

FWIW, my brother in-law and several friends have Vizio TVs and they are quite happy with them.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
He's really good. He's been selling TVs for years. He says they just have a bunch of returns on Vizios. I'm glad I stuck with LG. I didn't buy one from him tho.

I'm also glad I took the audio guy's advice and got an Alpine head unit for my car.
I've had a 55" 1080P Vizio for 5+ years with no problems. You can have problems with any manufacturer.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #29

I've done a lot of research. The M-65 Vizio at Costco is one of the best in it's class. I keep hoping prices will drop further for Superbowl, or I'd have one already.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone own a really large, high end TV, like say 75" inches or more? If yes, what did you buy and why? (I will be getting one next year when we retire and am just interested in other peoples thoughts/opinions/experiences etc.).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I've had a 55" 1080P Vizio for 5+ years with no problems. You can have problems with any manufacturer.
Just to add to this, my son has had a 55" Vizio for several years now and its outstanding. Visio TVs are designed in the US, but manufactured elsewhere. Anyhow, you get an extended warranty from Costco and can change to something else (I think within 90 days) if you don't like it.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Got a Vizio M70 from Costco at Thanksgiving and so far so good.

Check here for good deals:

TV Deals, Coupons & Promo Codes | Slickdeals
Soupcxan, are you getting any motion blur when watching sports?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #33

Why not? What else are you going to do with your money?

I am not 100% sure what amount of $$ makes 4K that much better than 1080P, but at least in a year it will be worth more than any index fund you could be buying... (especially the last 12 months)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

4k's are not on my radar. Too expensive and not enough content. Maybe in 3-5 years.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We purchased a Vizio M65-C1 a little after Thanksgiving (2015). I am very pleased with it. Yes, the advantage to UHD (4K) is the ability to sit closer. Whether you need that or not is something one doesn't think about... until you experience it.

I wouldn't be that concerned about HDR at this time. There hasn't even been a "standard" set so waiting may take a few years to resolve and another few years for video/movies/TV shows to even be available in any volume.

The biggest help to finding a solution to your decision would probably be this thread on the AVS forum (Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews). Yes there are (at this moment) 378 pages and 11,331 posts but well worth a look. You may want to simply start at the most current post and follow it for a few days as a lot of the earlier posts are redundant. (I posted once that one doesn't dare go to lunch because when you get back you will be down by six pages.)

Anyway, the $1,299 price of the M65 is the best price per square inch of any current UHD TV... and is the best PQ (picture quality) TV out there. Even so, spending that much money needs much research and the above thread is pretty darned thorough.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can't wait for my 73" DLP to die. It just won't. I am partial to the 75" Samsung reviewed on that site.

The whole curve thing does not do much for me though.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Soupcxan, are you getting any motion blur when watching sports?
I haven't noticed any but I also haven't been particularly looking for it. I have the anti-blur/anti-judder settings on moderate.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

The biggest help to finding a solution to your decision would probably be this thread on the AVS forum (Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews). Yes there are (at this moment) 378 pages and 11,331 posts but well worth a look. You may want to simply start at the most current post and follow it for a few days as a lot of the earlier posts are redundant. (I posted once that one doesn't dare go to lunch because when you get back you will be down by six pages.)
Right, I have been looking at that the past few days. It bogles my mind, at the technical savy that some of these folks have in evaluating/tweaking these sets. Makes me wonder if they dedicate themselves 24x7 to TVs
Old 02-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Right, I have been looking at that the past few days. It bogles my mind, at the technical savy that some of these folks have in evaluating/tweaking these sets. Makes me wonder if they dedicate themselves 24x7 to TVs
I concur. On the other hand, I am very thankful for that dedication... and how patient they are with complete novices (like me).
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #40

Quote:
4k's are not on my radar. Too expensive and not enough content. Maybe in 3-5 years.
Me too. BTDT! I was an early adopter of the Samsung DLP for ~ $3500. It was a great set back in the day. Just like computers, every year TV's get better and cheaper. Buying a TV now for something that might be mainstream in a few years, is just throwing money away IMO. I replaced the DLP set about a year and a half ago with a $750 Smart LG 50" LED set and love it. Was it the latest and greatest thing I could buy? NO! But it was worlds better in all respects. All at <1/4 the cost of the DLP. When all video sources move to 4K, there will be some other new gizmo that will demand a $2,000 list price. In the mean time I buy what I need for today and not plan on what might I might need 3-5 years out. In a few years, I could buy a new set for another $750 and still be ahead of the game.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote