Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Did he say why? I have two Visio HDTVs... a 47" and a 32" and they have been solid. In fact, I keep hoping that the 47" will die so I can justify getting a bigger/nicer/newer HDTV but it just keep on ticking. We bought them about a year or two apart about 8-9 years ago.
No he didn't clarify.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
Anyone own a really large, high end TV, like say 75" inches or more? If yes, what did you buy and why? (I will be getting one next year when we retire and am just interested in other peoples thoughts/opinions/experiences etc.).
I bought the 75" Vizio M75 when Costco had it on sale for $1999 on Thanksgiving day. However when I got it home and compared it to the M70 I had bought the week before I did not think the picture quality was as good (and not just due to the fact that the same resolution was scaled larger). So I returned the M75 and kept the M70. Apparently the LCD panels are made by different vendors in those two models.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
4k's are not on my radar. Too expensive and not enough content. Maybe in 3-5 years.
Question: For those of you that already have a 4k TV, have you noticed that the 1080P programs upconverted to 4k look appreciably better?

I've read articles that unless you actually have 4k content, many of the 4k TV's don't make the 1080P content look that much better and in many cases, you can't really tell the difference. I watch most of my TV via over the air signal, Netflix and Amazon Prime. The over the air broadcasts may never be 4k. Remember what a big deal it was for the over the air broadcasters to be changed from analog to digital?

At this point the only way I'd get a 4k TV is if I wanted to buy a new TV to replace my old one. I have a 55" 1080P TV and sometime in the next year or two I'd like to get a 65-70" TV. At that point I'll get a 4K TV but won't get it just for the 4K, but because it's what the new standard is and I want a bigger TV.
DallasGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

A couple days old so it may be "old news" but:

The Best Big Screen TVs for the Big Game - Reviewed.com Televisions
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Question: For those of you that already have a 4k TV, have you noticed that the 1080P programs upconverted to 4k look appreciably better?

I've read articles that unless you actually have 4k content, many of the 4k TV's don't make the 1080P content look that much better and in many cases, you can't really tell the difference. I watch most of my TV via over the air signal, Netflix and Amazon Prime. The over the air broadcasts may never be 4k. Remember what a big deal it was for the over the air broadcasters to be changed from analog to digital?
I am not sure how to answer this. I, too, am a OTA watcher -- with some streaming with a Roku 4 or the built in Apps in the TV.

I have SageTV running through a Yamaha RX-V673 AVR which has always upconverted the signal to 1080P. That plus the 4K TV replaced a 10-year old 42" Sharp Aquos so I don't have any real perspective. I should also mention that I run the signal from the SageTV (the HTPC) to the AVR through a Darbee Darblet 5000 (DarbeeVision) so the picture is even further enhanced.

In any event, I did download a couple 4K YouTube videos and converted them to H.265 format (so the TV could play them natively -- through the USB port). Even at 2' away from the TV, it is like you are actually in the scene... incredible resolution. In addition, I have tried some of the Amazon Prime 4K videos both through the Native Apps in the TV as well as through the Roku 4. Quite impressive. I do not subscribe to any other providers -- cable, satellite, or any others.

So, again, I don't know if this added anything to the conversation but I can say that until you actually see a 4K image it is hard to imagine the improvement... and I don't mean on the display floor of Costco or Best Buy.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I think we'll stay satisfied with occasionally viewing 4K content on our iMac Retina display for now. Our internet bandwidth really only handles 2K max.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Our internet bandwidth really only handles 2K max.
A very important point if you viewing TV from anywhere other than OTA (Over the Air).

We have DSL and I just checked: 31.74 Mbps Download and 2.38 Mbps Upload. I don't very often run into bandwidth problems but it is very irritating when it happens.

On your iMac, is the images (still or video?) on disk or are you streaming from the Internet?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
A very important point if you viewing TV from anywhere other than OTA (Over the Air).

We have DSL and I just checked: 31.74 Mbps Download and 2.38 Mbps Upload. I don't very often run into bandwidth problems but it is very irritating when it happens.

On your iMac, is the images (still or video?) on disk or are you streaming from the Internet?
We were watching some demo 4K videos. I think we let one download before watching, but somehow when streaming another we figured out we were seeing it at a 2K rate. It still looked great.

We have a 10mbps internet connection.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We have a 10mbps internet connection.
10 Mbps should be sufficient. But, yeah, a 4K image should be impressive on your Retina. I have a Eizo Monitor connected to my Desktop (Monitor 2) and can attest to the quality.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
10 Mbps should be sufficient. But, yeah, a 4K image should be impressive on your Retina. I have a Eizo Monitor connected to my Desktop (Monitor 2) and can attest to the quality.
That was one of the first things we did when we got the new display. Found some wild Chinese 4K video that did a slow-mo over some elaborate banquet showing the food in all its glorious detail.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The thing with the larger TVs now is that they just aren't making 1080p sets with the advanced features like FALD, so if you want features like that you pretty much have to get 4K regardless that there is little content available. But upscaling is pretty good, I have no complaints about my 70" 4K.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #52
Administrator

Two important factors in this decision iare how long you will wait to change your set and if cable is an important source of material.

I would rather pay less now and buy less feature, then change the set sooner. For example, our current 60" HD set cost less than the price difference between the HD and SD on the 42" it replaced, 5 years later. Unless you have a compelling need for the latest functionality, in this industry it pays to wait.

In addition, our primary source of material is Comcast, and the signal quality is poor. There is clearly some compression going on, despite denials. In addition, the broadband providers all have implemented data caps, which will lead to limits on how much HD content you can stream at home. Unless you have good OTA, it may not make sense to spend up on a TV.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

My wife got a AlienWare laptop with a 4k screen and WOW it makes a difference there. Stuff on her screen looks like a magazine photograph. Vibrant is the word for it.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
My wife got a AlienWare laptop with a 4k screen and WOW it makes a difference there. Stuff on her screen looks like a magazine photograph. Vibrant is the word for it.
And if you have a UHD (4K) TV 60" or larger, you can get up to about 2 feet from the screen (well, depending upon your eye) and it will feel like you are there in person. Here are a couple of examples:

I should have mentioned before that UHD TVs have twice as many pixels as a HD TV. Therefore, the resolution is upconverted automatically; i.e., 1080P becomes a UHD image. Not really, but visually that is what happens.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Price difference between 4K and 1080p is rapidly disappearing, like it did between 3D and non 3D. Probably the only premium tvs will be 4K, if not already. And in a year or two they won't make 1080p except bargain brands.

ultra High Definition Blu Ray is coming in February and March and you can get 4K with HDR streaming content from Netflix and Amazon.

But the best source will be those discs.

There is a new broadcast standard to support 4K being developed, called ATSC 3.0. We're currently using 1.0 and 3.0 won't be backwards compatible with 1.0. Beyond the technical issues, there seems to be little interest by the broadcast industry, especially the struggling local tv stations, to upgrade, even as more and more 4K Tvs are sold.

Meanwhile Canadian broadcasters have already transmitted sporting events in 4K, an nba game. They will be doing more, including NHL games. But they're delivering to homes with fiber connections in a couple of large markets.

European broadcasters have been doing some 4K sports for a couple of years including the 2014 World Cup. They're doing other events on a special channel but they seem to be proceeding. The Japanese have tested 8k broadcasts.

Beware of smart tvs, especially Vizio and Samsung. They listen in on you and sell the data. You have to opt out. I would just not connect them to the Internet and look at getting a Roku or Apple TV when they support 4K.

I've been following OLED tvs from LG. Still very expensive and the motion resolution is as poor as LCD. I'll stick with my Panasonic plasm as for a couple more years.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Beware of smart tvs, especially Vizio and Samsung. They listen in on you and sell the data. You have to opt out. I would just not connect them to the Internet and look at getting a Roku or Apple TV when they support 4K.
Ah, come on.

Quote:
As Samsung explains, neither the TV's mic nor the one in your remote are monitoring everything you say. The TV only listens for a predetermined set of commands, while the controller won't handle more sophisticated requests (such as asking for movie advice) until you hit a button.

The explanation isn't perfect (how long is that information stored, for example?), but it doesn't leave much room for debate. However, it also suggests that smart TV makers haven't finished tackling the privacy concerns that have plagued them since at least 2013. Unless every manufacturer both respects privacy and is clear about what's happening, there may always be a nagging suspicion that these smart sets are too nosy.
I find being connected to the Internet to far outweigh any fear that someone may try to sell something they think is valuable in my life... Firmware updates, EPG, IMDB, etc.

BTW, our Vizio has neither a microphone nor a voice operated remote control. On the other hand, our Roku 4 (which by the way does support 4K) is/can be voice activated.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #57
gone traveling

I am still struggling on making a decision. I am inclined to go for the Samsung JS8500 vs the Vizio as fast motion for sports is rated higher and it is HDR compatible. As another alternative, I have a 52" Samsung 850 in my mancave which I don't watch very often, as its located upstairs and is open to the downstairs via a stairway which can be distracting to anyone watching TV downstairs. So another option might be moving the 52" set downstairs and waiting to see what comes out for 2016 that might be a big improvement. The Samsung 850 is about 8 years old, but it has a much better picture than the older 37" set that we want to replace.

I have Verizon FIOS, so signal quality has never been a problem and I can hook a Smart TV up via hardwire vs wireless. Our speeds are 50/50, although if we did a lot of streaming I could upgrade to 75 MB/s. Unfortunatly the older set is not smart so no streaming possible except via an xbox.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #58
gone traveling

I watched some of the YouTube 4K vids on my iMac and they are definitely stunning. I didn't realize there was such content until Audrey mentioned it.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Feds don’t need crypto backdoors to spy—your TV and toothbrush will do | Ars Technica

https://www.propublica.org/article/o...s-watching-you
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Okay, it is a subject that I am not particularly interested in... or concerned about. However...

IoT gets a lot of crap | Missing Remote

Quote:
This is scary, but it's also really, really cool. Of course some OEMs have let the cool get ahead of the planning, and the implementations aren't always well thought out from a security, updating, or longevity perspective - which might cause all sorts of problems down the road. But, it's still going to happen and it still has an amazing potential to make our lives easier, better, smarter. [my emphasis]
GreenPeak

Quote:
What do IoT and Smart Home device makers need to know in order to connect their devices to the web

Worldwide, thousands of technology companies are viewing the Internet of Things (IoT) and the Smart Home as the Holy Grail for their products and profits. Most industry analysts and leaders are predicting that hundreds of millions of homes will want these new technologies. However, before the device makers begin to design and develop new solutions, they need to understand that this market is rapidly changing and evolving, especially when looking at the Smart Home and the consumer electronics market.