Join Early Retirement Today

Contractors and Accountants
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Contractors and Accountants

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems contractors and accountants are some of the worst personal money handlers in the world. Is it something inherent in their genes/profession(s). Contractors typically (my guess) have financial problems and overspend and borrow from Peter to pay Paul and accountants with all their calculable capabilities are completely lost personally. Are there any accountants and contractors out there who can answer this for me?
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You mean 'building or construction' contractors, right? Because I'm a "contractor", i.e. self-employed working as a non-employee for a major energy company.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

As a recovering CPA, I can tell you that there are those who are lousy money managers from all walks of life.

As I recall, there was a thread a while back discussing the fact that although "I" can retire, my doctor can't, etc. So, don't limit your scope to accountants and contractors....there's plenty to go around.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get to see a lot of people's personal finances.

Accountants and contractors have nothing on doctors.

As for why some accountants or contractors have financial trouble I would suggest the following

Contractors - In many cases these guys are in capital intensive projects in which they are forced to self finance all the materials up front. That can lead to trouble if you aren't really well capitalized

Accountants - As a CPA I can tell you that a good part of your education is focused on risk avoidance. That generally doesn't lead to huge financial success.

Doctors - Long periods of Schooling (pent up demand) combined with debt and working with other high spenders is just a train wreck waiting to happen for many of them.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I get to see a lot of people's personal finances.

Accountants and contractors have nothing on doctors.

As for why some accountants or contractors have financial trouble I would suggest the following

Contractors - In many cases these guys are in capital intensive projects in which they are forced to self finance all the materials up front. That can lead to trouble if you aren't really well capitalized

Accountants - As a CPA I can tell you that a good part of your education is focused on risk avoidance. That generally doesn't lead to huge financial success.

Doctors - Long periods of Schooling (pent up demand) combined with debt and working with other high spenders is just a train wreck waiting to happen for many of them.
I had a doctor referred to me once. He made just over $1 million a year, but his "yearly living expenses" with the 4 homes, 3 country club memberships, nanny, Mcmansion, etc, were $1.2 million a year.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Are these the same docs you hear crying all the time about the unfairness of the healthcare reimbursement structure...I wonder how they'd make it on their avg patients' salary.

For the accountants, I guess my logic is they "see" the financial mistakes of their clients first hand through financial documents etc and how folks screw up huge sums of earned dollars and not pay their taxes.

I guess being a building contractor will drive you to either be an alcoholic, a drug addict, wife beater , divorced and poor......it appears from the outside to be a pretty stressful occupation. Are there any upsides to being a building contractor? I guessing lawyering nowadyas is fairly stressful also, especialy just starting out as a bottom feeder. Maybe they should learn something from John Edwards !!!
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote