Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I own chickens and have become a bit of a snob when it comes to preparing eggs.

For hard-boiled eggs use older eggs. At least 5 days old, a week is better; it makes them much easier to peel.
Get the water to a rolling boil. I like to salt the water to make sure it’s hot enough. Drop the eggs in gently. Boil 8 minutes minimum, or a bit more. Not much more or the yolks get chalky.

Have a container with a bit of ice water in it. Dump the eggs in harshly to initiate cracking and roll them around to chill quickly. The shock of the ice water helps with the cracking and makes peeling easier.

The boiling time will change a bit depending on the size of eggs as there is quite a bit of difference between medium and jumbo, but this will get you in the ballpark. I prefer my yolks medium: solid albumen and yolks like soft Brie. Hard is okay but never chalky; a hard yolk should be stiff like play doh, but still a bit plastic.

If you like dry, chalky yolks, then probably boil them 10-12 minutes, or simmer for 15.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 02:50 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I bring eggs to a full boil, turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes.
Then they get rinsed in cold water. Turns out good, and peels good.
Thats exactly how I’ve always done it. Start with 1-2 eggs and cold water in pan, bring to a vigorous boil (I don’t cover the pan), turn off burner and let the pan sit on burner for 15 minutes. Rinse in cold water, peel, and eat. Peeling varies some, but always manageable. Has worked perfectly every time.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:00 AM   #23
gone traveling

I put the egg[s] in cold water with a little salt [salt helps with peeling.] Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and let simmer for about 8 minutes [not more than 10.] Put egg[s] in cool water and let sit for a few minutes. Lightly crack the flat end of the egg which should have an air bubble, then peel from there.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Steam them in an Instant pot or similar pressure cooker. I do 6 minutes. Release the steam then plunge in ice water. Every single egg peels perfectly. And if an egg cracks during cooking, there is no leakage due to the pressure. So sometimes the egg is already peeled!
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Folks here have said the Instapot pressure cooker makes eggs that are very easy to peel.
It's incredible. I can sometimes get the shell off in one piece, but usually two or three. If my Instant Pot had no other uses, I'd still be happy with it just for the hard boiled eggs.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Steam them in an Instant Pot! Cook for 5 minutes on high pressure, let sit for 5 minutes before releasing steam, then plunge in ice water bath for 5 minutes.
+1 I make hard boiled eggs every week. After a lot of experimentation, this 5/5/5 method in the Instant Pot wins. Perfect, easy to peel eggs. I make 8 at a time usually.
CitizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:01 AM   #27

I seldom hard boil eggs, but sometimes I do, and did so recently. The issue with any recipe I've come across is all of the variables:

The number, size, and temperature of the eggs, the amount and temperature of the water, the mass of the pot, and the efficiency of the heat source.

How long does it take to get all of the water boiling? From the time the eggs are sitting in 180F water, until the time it actually starts boiling, those babies are cooking.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenK View Post
+1 I make hard boiled eggs every week. After a lot of experimentation, this 5/5/5 method in the Instant Pot wins. Perfect, easy to peel eggs. I make 8 at a time usually.
I also love using my instant pot for eggs, they are much easier to peel. I will have to try this 5/5/5 method. I prefer a softer yolk and often do 6 or 7 minutes under high pressure, with a quick release and immediately into ice water. No mater what method you use, the trick to no grey/green yolks is immediately into ice water.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #29
gone traveling

Cook eggs for 12 minutes, then immediately take them off the heat, empty out the hot water and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.

Do this with one egg. If you don't like the results, adjust the time up or down to your preference.

Problem solved within 30 minutes.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I struggled with this for a while recently too, trying various online methods. All those that mention adding the eggs to boiling water then turning the heat off and letting sit require you use a consistent amount of water, and usually much more than needed to just cover them, otherwise the eggs cool the water down more than they water heats the eggs.

Current method we are using which works great is:
  1. use older eggs if available
  2. bring water to a boil
  3. gently place eggs in boiling water with slotted spoon
  4. set timer for 12 or 13 minutes, keep water boiling (I'm at sea level btw, or like sea level + 50ft)
  5. withdrawal eggs from boiling water, safely, using a slotted spoon, at whatever rate you deem appropriate for long term survival
  6. dunk eggs in ice bath
Based on my experience and what others are saying here, I think the ice bath and using older eggs are crucial to getting a clean peel.

Next time I make them I'm going to try breaking the shells before going into the ice bath as some others have suggested, that's interesting.

This is all pretty basic stuff though, obviously the real question is with step 5, what is the correct safe egg withdrawal rate?
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Another reason I will never join costco. 32 HB eggs? I cook 6 and I may have to toss 1 or 2 in the trash.

With Kirkland I'll toss 2 dozen in the trash.
The Best Before date for these is two months in the future. So, eat .5 eggs per day and you're good.

We buy a pack every two weeks or so, but Lena often makes deviled eggs for potlucks. And they are a great low-carb snack.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another reason I will never join costco. 32 HB eggs? I cook 6 and I may have to toss 1 or 2 in the trash.

With Kirkland I'll toss 2 dozen in the trash.
I'm not perfect when it comes to protecting the environment, but all that plastic surrounding the precooked hard-boiled eggs made me cringe.

Eggs are pretty forgiving. I put mine in cold water and boil them till at least one shows a crack. Then I turn them off and let them cool. I do have the occasional batch that's hard to peel and sometimes it's just a few eggs in that batch. I may try some of the more detailed methods posted here.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Important tip: Use older eggs. They will be easier to peel. At least two days old, older is better.

Better tip (highly recommended):

What Al said. If I want hard boiled, I just by 'em at the store. If I have a hankering for soft boiled eggs, I use a dedicated egg cooker with a meased amount of water. Easy peasy.

BTW, this just might be the most important thread on this forum, ever. Just sayin'
Old 06-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I, several years ago, threw in the towel after having tried all of the above methods with unreliable results... including the Pressure Cooker method. I simply purchased a KRUPS Egg Cooker from Amazon for $30 (there are many others, some for half that). I have never looked back or had a "bad" experience since. This unit is particularly useful when we are "on the road" since you can easily compensate for changes in altitude (barometric pressure/boiling point).

https://www.krupsusa.com/KITCHEN-APP...0/p/8000035574
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Despite the comments about chalky yolks, you cannot really overcook a hard-boiled egg as long as the egg is immersed in water. The thing won't burn nor turn brown if you let it go 20 minutes or 30 minutes as long as the egg remains submerged. You will waste power though.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #36

Another method, always works and don't have to adjust time for difference in time it takes for bringing water to boil.

Bring water to boil.
Keep heat in, carefully place eggs in water and set timer for 13 minutes.
Empty and rinse in cold water.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Science to the rescue!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Science to the rescue!

I really trust this guy. He uses a scientific method, blind tasting/testing, repeats the experiment, etc.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...iled-eggs.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

Bottom line, boiling water, eggs in for 13 minutes, chill. I think he does a variation with steaming as well.

His actual experiments with the often recommended procedure of putting the eggs into cold water and bringing them up to boiling shows that makes them harder to peel. The science behind that is the membrane spends more time at a temperature that causes it to bond.

My issue with the recipes that say X minutes for bringing the eggs to temperature - there are so many variables. Pot size and construction, amount of water, heat of the stove top. All that affects the timing, so what works for one person may not work for another.

But boiling is boiling (at least near sea level, not sure if he included altitude adjustments in those articles). Consistent.

Maybe I'll look it up later, but I don't think moderate amounts of salt actually change the boiling point significantly.

edit/add: OK found this: " The boiling point is raised by 0.5 degrees Celsius for water with 29.2 grams of salt dissolved in each kg of water." That's about 6 teaspoons per liter or quart (close enough), to raise less than 1 degree F. That's a lot of salt! OK, I see samclem says 4 TBS, ~ 12 tsp, but how much water? Maybe a degree or two - does it matter?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
What Al said.
Me too.

I often eat them at lunchtime.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #39

Quote:
I'm looking forward to my first half dozen on the induction as it boils so fast.
I put in an induction cooktop when we remodeled the kitchen, it is the most awesome cooktop we have ever had. Instant temp control.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I like the Costco bagged eggs idea! Blow that dough!