Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never been, nor can be carb free. I have been cutting back on carb, however.

Heh heh heh... Suddenly, all these home cooks start to come out of the closet... Must be a cold day over the country, and they cannot leave the home.

Back on cooking, as one tries to make a dish, he/she then discovers that there are many nuances of the same dish, and one must experiment to see what works for him/her. For example, I do not like my curry to have a sweet taste. No sugar, no coconut, etc... But then, I usually do not like sugar in my savory dishes.

And about chicken cacciatore, just recently I saw that Giada De Laurentiis used capers in this dish. Oh man! That and some chardonnay into the pot (and consumed while cooking too) really kicked it up 2 or 3 notches!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
Here is a shot of our 40-garlic chicken. After the chicken is taken out we toss pasta in with the baked garlic and drippings from the chicken. Sinful, but delicious!
I have not made this for a while. I will put it on the menu next.

However, even as I will not make that much (the holiday season is over), I usually use a roast pan or the toaster oven in my 2nd kitchen outside the home in the covered patio. Would not want the whole house to smell garlicky!

And about cooking outside this time of year, yes I do that because I can. It's the advantage we have in the SW in the winter, ya know? It's only 36F as I post this.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This is a really great book for the budding home chef. It teaches techniques for making many different kinds of practical, quick dishes, with almost infinite variations on each. Thus training the cook to have the instinct to be able to succesfully throw things together.

Plenty of stuff in there that covers chicken
How to Cook Without a Book: Recipes and Techniques Every Cook Should Know by Heart: Pam Anderson
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Must be a different Pamela Anderson...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup, different Pam anderson indeed But it is a great book and is becoming my go-to wedding present.
Re knives, I have a large Henkel chef knife and a medium, a large and small Henkel bread knife, a Henkel paring knife, and a Wusthof santuko knife. I ALWAYS go for the Wusthof to chop anything!
Mine says Grand Prix, not Grand Prix II, and the handle is slightly different, but it looks almost like this one:
Shop Wusthof Grand Prix II Santoku with Hollow-Ground Edge at CHEFS.
Have fun!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #26

audrey - +1 on the Thermapen. It's pricey but I no longer overcook meat and fish (yes, you can even monitor the temp on most fish filets!)

palomalou - The difference between Grand Prix and Grand Prix II is the handle - the blades are the same. I find the Grand Prix II more comfortable for my small hands so that's what I have. Haven't sprung for a santuko yet, though.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Haven't sprung for a santuko yet, though.
I only have one in my set (the rest purchased before sankatu was widely available) - but they are great, everyone should have at least one IMO.

I use DW's candy thermometer (when she's not looking) which is pretty fast acting instead of a Thermapen, maybe I should bite the bullet though...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And about cooking outside this time of year, yes I do that because I can. It's the advantage we have in the SW in the winter, ya know? It's only 36F as I post this.
We have a small, inexpensive, toaster oven on our back covered porch that we use all winter when we're worried about smelling up the place or just have something small to cook! Guess the oven has to work a bit harder when it's 15 degrees out but still seems to work fine. The grill is also stored under the cover and is used year round as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I am happy with this cheapo wireless meat thermometer. Available at your nearest Walmart. You even get change back after paying with a $20 bill.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Must be a different Pamela Anderson...
Yes, it is, but this Pam Anderson is famous in her own right. She was editor of Cooks Illustrator for years, and still writes a weekly USA Today cooking column. She's my go to if I'm trying to figure out the best way to prepare/cook something. She's famous for discovering and publishing the "best" recipe for many typical US dishes. A fountain of information and experience.

Perfect Crab Cakes With Green Onions Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I'd just like to invite you enthusiastic chefs to move to our neighborhood, preferably within easy sampling walking distance of our home.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd just like to invite you enthusiastic chefs to move to our neighborhood, preferably within easy sampling walking distance of our home.
One of the few things I like as much as cooking is feeding people!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love to cook, especially now that I'm retired and have the time to devote to making some really great meals. If you are interested in preparing and eating some really great (and healthy) meals made with quality ingredients, check out some of these recipes from Paul Jaminet:

Recipes | Perfect Health Diet
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is a shot of our 40-garlic chicken. After the chicken is taken out we toss pasta in with the baked garlic and drippings from the chicken. Sinful, but delicious!

I am making this dish today. However, as I have two pieces of skinless-boneless chicken breasts along with a few drumsticks, I decided to use Ina Garten's method.

Basically, she browns the meat in a pot, then simmers it on the stove top instead of baking in the oven. Will see how that turns out. It's cookin' right now.

You can easily search for her recipe, but here's her linked photo:

Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What!? I thought it was supposed to be one chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, not 40 chickens!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Well, we cannot be sure that that poster did not have a bed of garlic of 1600 cloves under those chicken pieces.

The question is how many people he was feeding with that. Just him and his wife?

PS. Ina Garten's method worked out well with the chicken breasts. I simmered the pot with the lid closed, so no moisture was lost. We ate half of the dish, and had some left-overs. It was good.