Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Ok preliminary verdict is in $3,200 - damage. Car is worth around $5,000 I am going to get it fixed.. hopefully i dont need to spend more than $500 (the deductible).

Notables..what adjuster told me.
Radiator damaged
A/c damaged

Hoof damage on door. Sweet Moses!
Unsolicited advice: Fix only what is necessary to run/pass inspection. Keep the rest towards the eventual replacement vehicle.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #62

Waiting on an adjuster to come by today...my oldest kid hit a deer coming back from a reception last Saturday night (graduated from undergrad Friday)

Hope they won't total it out...it is an old SL500 coupe in otherwise great shape with only ~80,000 miles.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Glad your son is ok. I’ve hit somewhere between 5 and 10 deer. About 1 per vehicle that I’ve owned. Almost all within 5 miles from home. Got one in my corvette in the street at the end of our driveway at 20 mph. Haven’t got one yet in my 2017 F150. DW doesn’t hit them. Only me.
If you put crash bars on the front of your 150, or a small plow, it might save the 150 from damage, and with your record of hitting deer, it could be cheaper than hunting.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Are you kidding me? That looks fine. I would have that fixed and keep driving it. Heck, I'm thinking about making you an offer.
I agree with Bigdawg. Don't write that off yet. Find someone with even average mechanical skills and you will have that back on the road for less than a couple of hundred bucks. Don't drive it anymore though till you determine what is leaking and why. I'm sure it won't be anythhing too serious.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:13 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was just thinking.... you could do what my neighbor did many years ago...

He unbolted the quarter panel and hammered it out himself to a reasonable shape of what it was and bolted it back on... saved lots of money and it actually was not that bad looking...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
Yes, like the OP, I also live in Pennsylvania. My son was in an accident in 2012 (other party's fault). The car only had cosmetic damage - cracked front bumper, crumpled fender, and scratches/dents down the passenger side. But, it was 16 years old with 100k miles and was deemed totalled (State Farm repair estimate was over $3k).

Anyway, we bought it back from State Farm for about $400, and had it "recertified" so we could drive it again.

In PA, there's a list of state inspection shops that can do the recertification process for you. It entails a safety inspection, checking that no body work sticks out, the doors open correctly, etc. They also need to take a number of photos and then send all the paperwork into the DMV. It takes a couple of weeks before you get a new recertified title, replacing the totalled title. I think my shop charged about $300 for the inspection and paperwork.

Note, we did not fix any of the bodywork, fender, or bumper, and we're still driving it 7 years later.

If it's drivable, it would be worthwhile to find a shop close by that does recertifications and get their opinion on exactly what would need to be fixed to qualify for a recertified title.
In PA, if the insurance company totals the vehicle and you buy it back, they take your clean title and issue you a salvage certificate. After any necessary repairs, you then take it to certified shop where they send in the paperwork, including the salvage certificate, with pictures and you are issued a title branded with an "R" which stands for "Reconstructed".
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote