Join Early Retirement Today

Cool paleogeographic visual
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Cool paleogeographic visual

Quote:
Earth's landmasses were not always what they are today. Continents formed as Earth's crustal plates shifted and collided over long periods of time. This video shows how today's continents are thought to have evolved over the last 600 million years, and where they'll end up in the next 100 million years. Paleogeographic Views of Earth's History provided by Ron Blakey, Professor of Geology, Northern Arizona University.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Administrator

Beautiful video, and interesting - - thanks!

I learned some rudimentary paleogeography from a professor that was very talented with chalk - - and who also had some graphics bigger than posters that he flipped through. This sort of information is so much more easily communicated via digital presentations like this one.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a geology student in 1974, the plate tectonic theories were just gaining widespread acceptance. But most textbooks still had the previous theory, the one that mountains formed because they were made of lighter material than the earth's crust. The plate tectonics theory turned out to be quite a lot easier to substantiate than the floating mountain one.

Also in 1974, the common thought of geo-climate folks was the earth would get a little colder due to global dimming. While global dimming did occur, NOVA | Understanding Global Dimming ,it has been overwhelmed by global warming. And actually, global dimming has helped reduce global warming's effects.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Administrator

The guy with the graphics and chalk was an oceanographer at Old Dominion University, in 1975. But actually I was first taught in about both continental drift (and then plate tectonics, by name even!) in classes back in the mid to late 1960's. Guess I was lucky to have had some pretty prescient professors!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

Interesting, I've seen the past but this is the 1st time I remember seeing the future. Funny how so many major land masses to me seem to be more eroded by the oceans vs changing shape and drifting about.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Interesting, I've seen the past but this is the 1st time I remember seeing the future. Funny how so many major land masses to me seem to be more eroded by the oceans vs changing shape and drifting about.
Two thoughts:
  1. I guess the drought in Texas won't last forever....
  2. What does this mean for my SWR?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Two thoughts:
  1. I guess the drought in Texas won't last forever....
  2. What does this mean for my SWR?
Looks like if we hang on long enough we'll end up with some great beachfront property and not have to worry about running out of $.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Awesome video, thanks for sharing. I'm sort of glad I won't be hanging around to experience a lot of the movement. I figure no one will notice while it is happening anyway. Slow and steady and all.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like if we hang on long enough we'll end up with some great beachfront property and not have to worry about running out of $.
Yes, but more importantly, should I pay off the mortgage and when should I take SS?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
The depiction is at a time when the ocean levels are high. Notice almost no ice at the poles. This leads to many shallow seas and an apparent "break up" of the continents. Whether or not it will be that way in 100 M years is probably a guess, but as good as any.

You'll also see this briefly in the history portion about 100 million years ago, another ice free period. Go visit the USA great west and it is hard to get away from the impacts of this period as much of the beauty (think layers in the grand canyon) and fossil displays are due to it.

Whether or not we are warming earth right now is a blip in the big picture. The earth has had alternate icy and watery periods.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

Whether or not we are warming earth right now is a blip in the big picture. The earth has had alternate icy and watery periods.
That's for sure. Declaring man made global climate change or a temperature increase of a few degrees over the past few hundred years is like an animal that lives for 2 hours studying the tides!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

Interesting ... much more water front property in the future
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Interesting ... much more water front property in the future
Yup. I get beachfront property once the West Antarctic ice sheet pops. Because of the local terrain, I'm OK even if the Greenland ice cap goes. The folks downslope? Not so much. Poor planning on their part, I suppose...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Antarctic_Ice_Sheet