Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Cool wind and water power!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Cool wind and water power!

Out and about exploring the countryside this weekend and stumbled upon these two cool things.

This I thought was a cool looking wind turbine. If I translated the information sign about it correctly, it said it averages a yearly output of 50W/m2. Not sure if that sounds right or not. I'm not up to date on my Estonian wind turbine engineering words. But anyway, I think it's a cool looking wind turbine and I like the natural log base which you can climb to the top of for a great view!




Then I ran across this by accident and thought it was even more interesting.

"A Hydraulic Ram is a pump that uses the momentum of flowing water as an energy source. This pump was designed and built by Friedrich Johanson to supply his farm with water. It has been working since 1939. Every 24 hours it pumps 5 cubic meters of water into a water tank that is located 30 meters higher than the pump itself." It then goes on to explain the hydraulic ram was originally invented by a French guy in 1780, it operates automatically and requires no maintenance, etc....

__________________

__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,202
The uncircumsized version is even more efficient.
__________________

__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
This I thought was a cool looking wind turbine. If I translated the information sign about it correctly, it said it averages a yearly output of 50W/m2. Not sure if that sounds right or not.
It's little on the low side, but not unreasonable if average winds are not that great. It's quite nice example of Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) - which have some advantages for example rarely kills birds, does not need furling in strong winds. But its' more expensive and less efficient than typical HAWTs you see everywhere else.
As a side note for our resident LBYM/DYI types, you can make quite cheap Savonius VAWT from a 55 gallon drum.
__________________
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
It's quite nice example of Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) - which have some advantages for example rarely kills birds, does not need furling in strong winds. But its' more expensive and less efficient than typical HAWTs you see everywhere else.
When I first saw it I thought it was some kind of radar station.

I'm used to seeing ones like these that I shot on the NW coast a couple weeks back.

__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,460
"Then I ran across this by accident and thought it was even more interesting.

"A Hydraulic Ram is a pump that uses the momentum of flowing water as an energy source. This pump was designed and built by Friedrich Johanson to supply his farm with water. It has been working since 1939. Every 24 hours it pumps 5 cubic meters of water into a water tank that is located 30 meters higher than the pump itself." It then goes on to explain the hydraulic ram was originally invented by a French guy in 1780, it operates automatically and requires no maintenance, etc...."

Cool! That's what we called a thump-pump. Very distinctive noise as it operated, yes? As a teen we had one working away in a little stream. Not efficient, but it did pump water up the hill to a holding tank for gravity feed to the house - man, I can almost remember the sound of it shhh-thonking away in the middle of the night.
__________________
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Cool! That's what we called a thump-pump. Very distinctive noise as it operated, yes? As a teen we had one working away in a little stream. Not efficient, but it did pump water up the hill to a holding tank for gravity feed to the house - man, I can almost remember the sound of it shhh-thonking away in the middle of the night.
Yes, it had a very distinctive thump! Very cool device indeed!
__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek
This I thought was a cool looking wind turbine. If I translated the information sign about it correctly, it said it averages a yearly output of 50W/m2. Not sure if that sounds right or not.
It's little on the low side, but not unreasonable if average winds are not that great.
I don't understand the units used. Is that 50 Watts per square meter (of turbine cross-section, presumably), or a typo for 50 W per meter-per-second-of-wind-speed, or ... ? (But neither of those make sense as yearly output numbers.)
__________________
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
I don't understand the units used. Is that 50 Watts per square meter (of turbine cross-section, presumably), or a typo for 50 W per meter-per-second-of-wind-speed, or ... ? (But neither of those make sense as yearly output numbers.)
It actually quite common to use in "marketing materials". It means that at this specific site they are getting around 438 kWh / year ( 50W x 365 days/year x 24 h / day ) from 1 square meter of turbine sweep area (not quite cross section but close).
So if this turbine had a sweep area of 10 square meters it would generate around 4380 kWh annually.
__________________
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
It actually quite common to use in "marketing materials". It means that at this specific site they are getting around 438 kWh / year ( 50W x 365 days/year x 24 h / day ) from 1 square meter of turbine sweep area (not quite cross section but close).
So if this turbine had a sweep area of 10 square meters it would generate around 4380 kWh annually.
Thanks for the explanation. From the picture, it looks like roughly 10 square meters, so... this unit generates enough for maybe one house?
__________________
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
So, on furthur research I found out that turbine was park of a larger "energy park" that I didn't even notice. I just stopped in that town for lunch and saw that thing and didn't investigate further. Here is the deal with it which will help you understand the low output.

"Rõuge Energy Park (Rõuge Energiapark) was established in 2001. The aim of the energy park is to promote the use of renewable energy and innovative solutions of energy production as well as to provide information about energy savings.

A 20-meters-high wooden viewing tower, which will provide a magnificent view to the chain of lakes, will be constructed on the edge of Ööbikuorg. The viewing tower will be unique, because a wind generator with horizontal rotation will be placed on top of it. The planned capacity of the generator is 3 kW. The generator will be connected to the power system of the Centre of Ööbikuorg in order to provide the centre with renewable energy as well as use the energy for lighting the pathway to school. Therefore, the energy park of Rõuge will get as an addition to its geothermal-, solar- and water energy devices a wind generator for the purpose of promoting and demonstrating renewable energy."
__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. From the picture, it looks like roughly 10 square meters, so... this unit generates enough for maybe one house?
I would say roughly one small American house or 4 Estonian flats (Trek, do you remember how many kWh are your monthly electricity bills?).
__________________
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,202
If the capacity matched the planned capacity of 3 kW, and it ran 24 hours a day, that would be 72 KWH (Kilowatt hours) per day. If the wind blows 3 hours per day, it would generate 9 KWH per day.

Our house usage averages about 9 KWH per day.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:29 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I would say roughly one small American house or 4 Estonian flats (Trek, do you remember how many kWh are your monthly electricity bills?).
Last bill shows 103kWh for the month, but I draw more power than the "average" Estonian would. I'm home all day long so the TV is always on, I have a large capacity washer and dryer unit, 2 computers running constantly, etc.......
__________________

__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.