Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #21
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
In some ways, I find the way the marketers try to manipulate us fascinating. Heck, food stylist labor long and hard to get the perfect "bridge" (those strings of cheese when a slice of pizza is pulled away) in pizza commercials. I see the offerings in the in-store bakery in the grocery store and they're all packaged for maximum visual appeal (think about the frosting on cupcakes!) and they use words like "fresh" and "artisan" a lot. It's neither if the ingredient list is full of chemicals I can't pronounce!
As most everyone here knows by now one of my hobbies is photography and one of the learning sources I use is Youtube. I just went there and searched on "photographing food" and got over 23,000 hits. And that's just videos on one site. There is indeed an art, science, skill set and technique to learn that specialty of photographing food. The pros will spend two days preparing for a shoot that lasts five minutes at most. There are people whose full time and well-paid job title is "food stylist". That's why you will never ever get a cheeseburger that looks even remotely like the one in the photo on the menu.

And that's for a simple hamburger. Think about the lengths they go to for something that is expensive.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

And that's for a simple hamburger. Think about the lengths they go to for something that is expensive.

DH was in advertising and he says fine jewelry is a real challenge to get right. I find a shot of good jewelry far more tempting than one of pizza!

athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
The ads which have been bothering me the most lately are those on New York's WPIX (Channel 11). While watching some Seinfeld reruns at night, WPIX puts some banner ads which take up about 1/4 of the screen at the bottom for about 30 seconds during the show! And they do this a few times, not just once. I mean, isn't it enough to be bombarded with extra ads during commercial breaks now we have to get banner ads during the damned show? I'd like to complain to WPIX but when I went to their website a few years ago they had no means to contact them to complain! when those ads appear, I now have to change the channel until it is safe to return to the show.

Other ads I hate are when the TV show returns after 3 minutes of ads just to tell you they will take another 3-minute ad break!

+1. Golf tournaments on channels like CBS or ABC are doing this now. You conscientiously mute all the real commercials, try to do something productive, like crack open a beer while the commercial churns away harmlessly and silently. Then the golf comes back on and after a few minutes you get "we'd like to thank our sponsors blah blah and blah for their...." and the logo's of the companies are displayed on half your screen for 15 seconds.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Completely agree, especially with the pharmaceutical ads (especially boner pill ads!).

Honestly, even the NFL games are becoming painful to watch. A flag is thrown on every play and every 3 minutes you are subjected to another ad.

I pay for HBO and it is almost the only TV I watch now because it has great programming and zero commercials.

Live Free is offline   Reply With Quote